Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt near Winnett MT
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me some leads regarding hunting near Winnett Montana? Many years back I inherited an old family homestead in Petroleum County. Just 160 acres, no buildings, but there seems to be a creek running through it. I've never been there, but after 15 years of paying taxes on it, I thought I would like to see it. I would like to plan a hunt out there based on availability of tags, etc.

Is there decent hunting in the area? Wahat about access? 160 acres is not sufficient for a hunt.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 14 | Location: Commerce Twp, MI | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Michgander65:

Stop into Billing and pick up maps at the BLM office and Scheels.

There is also #32 Chain Buttes (190,804 acres) and #33 Indian Buttes (88,896 acres) in the area South of the CMR for block management to hunt as well. Call MTFW&P's at 406-454-5840 for maps and guide.

That should get you started.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Michgander,

LOTS and lots of public land to hunt on near Winnett.

Check the regulations for the hunting district as there will be some limitations on species availability.

If you haven't been there, its definitely off the beaten path. Just the thing for some great hunting. You might even have some rabbits, prairie dogs or gophers on the property.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Winnet is definitely primo prairie dog land. I go pd shooting on several places in that area. Listen to everyone else her though too. Plenty of BLM, state, and block management land to try out in the area.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote