New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foreign hunters to USA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have invited some friends from Sweden and Brazil to come hunting with me this coming December. Does anybody know who I can contact to find out what the rules are as far as gun transport, licenses, etceteras?

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Check the BATF site. They need to fill out a form to import their rifles, and they have to have their hunting licenses before they can fill that form out. As far as regs about rifles and ammo on the plane, check with the airline of your choice.

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
In February of this year I attended a conference in New Orleans and on flying inside the USA we were ordered by United personel to UNLOCK our check in baggage?
Now that is a very real problem if youre travelling with arms and ammunition, furthermore with all the deviations and flying about to finally get to a final destination your bags, now unlocked are not secure!
I must say flying about within continental USA after 9-11 has become a very unpleasant experience, with all the air carriers in financial difficulty they seem to be understaffed.

All firearms in checked baggage are required to be in locked hard cases; the unlocking rule is in direct conflict with this earlier directive. Having had to chase down a thief in Washington National once when they were still putting the orange 'unloaded firearm' tags on the outside of the bags, I wouldn't consider leaving a firearm in an unlocked case.

I am sufficiently annoyed with the new rules that I won't fly unless it's necessary. When things go back like they were, I'll think about it. Actually I didn't like some of the old rules that much either; maybe when they're prostrate and begging, we can get some of them relaxed too.

Tom

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In February of this year I attended a conference in New Orleans and on flying inside the USA we were ordered by United personel to UNLOCK our check in baggage?

Now that is a very real problem if youre travelling with arms and ammunition, furthermore with all the deviations and flying about to finally get to a final destination your bags, now unlocked are not secure!

The "unlocked baggage" suggestion does not apply to gun cases since there's a previous statute and regulation requiring guns to be locked.

TSA says if they need to open your gun case they'll work with the airline to find you. If they can't find you they just won't ship the gun. They have a very detailed procedure for all this.

If airline people argue with you, ask for a TSA supervisor.

There are more details in this NRA fact sheet .

John Frazer
NRA Federal Affairs

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must say the USA with all it's percieved "gun freedoms" is proving to be a daunting experience.

Those freedoms are now reserved for American citizens only. Sorry if you don't like it. That's just the way it is.

Your gun case must remain locked and with NO exterior markings to indicate it contains a firearm. The new Transportation Security Administration will set any airline straight that doesn't understand it.

Finally, travelling by air in the USA involves very little additional hassle compared to before 9/11/01. There have been airline snafus long before that. You can attribut any cause or reason you like to your problems. That still doesn't make them the rule.
TSA luggage locking rules

Welcome to the USA.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Heck, take me with you, and I'll loan whatever rifles you need [Big Grin]

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Check the BATF site. They need to fill out a form to import their rifles, and they have to have their hunting licenses before they can fill that form out.
HTH, Dutch.

Strange rules isn't it [Roll Eyes]
Two years ago it was just to bring the gun and buy licence in USA after arrival. No import permit was needed since I had a Swedish gun permit for the rifle. Just inform the customs upon arrival. I was asked to bring back all the ammo with me to on departure.

From Sweden there are no papers needed, just report that you take out rifles with you to USA and show the gun permit [Smile]

I hate all this BS after 9-11. I have to contact US embassy and ask. If this is true I will loan a rifle from my self, I guess it will be a win pre 64 in 270, that is mine. It's stationed in USA of strategic reasons [Big Grin]

The locking and unlocking of cases makes me nuts [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

[ 04-29-2003, 02:59: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You can still come in, buy a license and borrow a gun to hunt. You just can't bring in your own without prior authorizations.

The guys that are really inconvenienced are the competitive shooters. At many long time matches this rule has taken most foreign competititors out of the game. A real shame. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
quote:
I must say the USA with all it's percieved "gun freedoms" is proving to be a daunting experience.

Those freedoms are now reserved for American citizens only. Sorry if you don't like it. That's just the way it is.

Ahem...not all American citizens view this with the same sanguine attitude; it's symptomatic of a general decline in freedom with respect to firearms. It's crap, actually, designed to anesthetize the American public into thinking that the government is protecting their freedom when it's actually infringing their rights. It's also transparently deceitful, to use the old Watergate phrase.

Tom

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Finally, travelling by air in the USA involves very little additional hassle compared to before 9/11/01
Welcome to the USA.

quote:

What are prohibited items?
Prohibited items are weapons, explosives, incendiaries, and include items that are seemingly harmless but may be used as weapons-the so-called "dual use" items. You may not bring these items to security checkpoints without authorization. A non-exclusive list of prohibited items is available at www.tsa.dot.gov.
What may happen to me if I bring a prohibited item to a security checkpoint?
You may be criminally and/or civilly prosecuted or, at the least, asked to rid yourself of the item. A screener and/or law enforcement officer will make this determination, depending on what the item is and the circumstances. This is because bringing a prohibited item to a security checkpoint-even accidentally-is illegal. .

In other words, you can be prosecuted for having in your pockets something which doesn't even appear on the "non-exclusive" list of prohibited items. This is a lot different from pre-9/11, and it's wrong. I don't fly these days unless there are no other alternatives.

Tom

[ 04-29-2003, 20:50: Message edited by: TomP ]

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
It's crap, actually, designed to anesthetize the American public into thinking that the government is protecting their freedom when it's actually infringing their rights. It's also transparently deceitful, to use the old Watergate phrase.

Tom

I have to agree. It's actually easier to bring a handgun or rifle into Israel than USA. Some use this "war on terrorism" is used as an excuse for doing all kinds of infrigements. This will hurt the international hunting guests that are going to USA.

I have still have to think about. If I shall bring my own, or loan a rifle

/ JOHAN

[ 04-30-2003, 01:39: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility is shipping the rifle ahead of time, by FedEx or some such.

Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
[QUOTE]I have to agree. It's actually easier to bring a handgun or rifle into Israel than USA. Some use this "war on terrorism" is used as an excuse for doing all kinds of infrigements. This will hurt the international hunting guests that are going to USA.

Once again, the rules are different if you are an American. Deal with it or go elsewhere. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orion/ToddE/ksduckhunter/troll,

I used to think you were only a prick on the political forum. I see now you are exporting this characteristic to hunting discussions.

JohnTheGreek

[ 04-30-2003, 23:55: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally, travelling by air in the USA involves very little additional hassle compared to before 9/11/01. There have been airline snafus long before that. You can attribut any cause or reason you like to your problems. That still doesn't make them the rule.
[/QB]

In my experience this is quite true. I have only flown with firearms on a few occasions, and my expereiences, all prior to 9/11 were quite inconsistent. for example, the last time we flew with weapons in 96', we were advised that we were supposed to open the guncase in the presence of the ticket agent, and demonstrate the firearm was unloaded. Well, when we arrived at the United counter in Phila, we were met immediately when we were observed carrying gun cases, but were instructed NOT to open the cases. They just checked to see that they were locked and tagged them as containing firearms. There was special secure handling from the counter to the plane. (lots of guys with guns). Upon arriving in Denver, the firearms had to be picked up at a special counter and we had to show ID in addition to the baggage claim ticket to retreive our weapons.
On our return trip from Denver, at the main crowded ticket counter, we were asked to open the guncase, remove the rifle and demonstrate to the agent that the rifles were unloaded which even at the time seemed a risky thing to do. When we returned to Philadelphia, our weapons just came bouncing out with the rest of the baggage, which I didn't think was such a great idea either.

Inconsistency was the rule rather than the exception back in 96', and it sounds like things havent changed much.

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
[QUOTE]Once again, the rules are different if you are an American. Deal with it or go elsewhere. [Roll Eyes]

You are one of thoose who makes people disslike certain countries regardless of it's Spain, Sweden, South Korea, France, USA or China. I guess nuts with the same point of view are found in every country, the sad thing is that you got hold of a computer with internet connection [Big Grin]

I have to agree with JohnTheGreek. You are nothing than a first class prick
I hope you will hunt in foregin countries and get a whole pile of trouble getting guns with you, but you can always GO ELSEWHERE [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Now, were is the TROLL Zapper when you need it the most [Big Grin]
IGNORE MODE ON [Big Grin]
/ JOHAN

[ 05-01-2003, 19:03: Message edited by: JOHAN ]