New
Find
Notify
Tools

ok one more question on sako/Tikka
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok i forgot that Sako made Tikka. So in comparison how much better do the sako's shoot or balanced etc. than the Tikka's. Also what quality American made rifle could they be compared to. And finally, how much? Certainly not as much as the sako's. Sorry fellas just want to know

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John 17

To begin with they both have identical barrels and triggers. The actions are slightly different although they are both pushfeed actions (with real extracors!).

The Sako 75 magazine can be loaded either thru the top of the action or the magazine can be removed and the cartridges loaded into it. The Tikka mag cannot be loaded thru the top of the action (single rounds can be loaded though) but has to be removed to be loaded.

The Tikka has a synthetic trigger guard & bolt shroud - the Sako does not.

The Sako has a separate release button on the safety so that the bolt can be broken with the safety on - the Tikka does not.

Apart from that just basically different feel to the two rifles, different prices, the Tikka being the buget model.

My experience is that they both shoot well out the box with minimum fuss and dollars aside I guess its down to which suits you best and personal preference.

Oh and additionally the Sako has a key lock device on the bolt that locks the bolt - I do not particularly like it and leave it alone on mine - Tikka does not.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
My Tikka WT Hunter also has a totally different set up for the scope mounts with very long rails that allow a scope a wide variance in fore and aft location. The bolt and handle are a keyed two piece and I think the SAKO75 still uses a one piece bolt like the older 90* lift 2 & much older 3 lug - 2 in front and one rear - bolts in the pre 75 Series.The SAKO ring mounts used to use a dovetailed and tab setup where the harder the gun kicked the tighter the rings were set and I think the 75 uses the same setup, Tikka does not.
My experience with SAKO is dated from the late 70's to the late 80's as a factory sale rep in the US and is pre the Model 75 Series but I assume SAKO still roto hammer forges the barrels out a billet and then chambers the barrel after the cold hammer cut rifleing is cut, and casts the receivers and machines from the casting that is sized to caliber not only in length but also in overall size and weight, uses 6 to 8 years of outdoor natural drying rather than a kiln to reduce stock humidity levels to less than 3% before cutting and hand checkering every stock, lets the barrel steel age naturally outdoors, and I am sure that the Finnish Government is still proof testing @ some higher than normal pressure levels since they still use the Finnish Lion symbol stamped into the barrel, bolt and receiver on both SAKO and Tikka's. Every SAKO used to be hand inspected at every stage of production and each component was either approved or discarded ...not fixed, with a failure rate that is/was unacceptable to American Manufacturers and the barrels test fired for accuracy both before the gun was finished and after the gun was finished before submitting the rifle for Proof Testing, only excellence was accepted and allowed to be shipped. My Tikka Std Grd wood/blue WT Hunter adheres to that same heritage but at half the price of a SAKO 75...just not as slim and sleek. I was not impressed by the Tikka T3 blue/synthetic I saw recently but if the mechanics are the same it will also shoot decently but the fit and finish I thought was an insult and I won't buy one as I had planned and will hold out for another WT Hunter even though I understand they are out of production thanks to Beretta. Just MHO and 2 cents worth though.
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote