New
Find
Notify
Tools

? For the Bear Hunters and Guides
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Customer who brought in a Black Bear in for mounting it was taken in New Mexico and is a Black Bear 5'- 8" nose to tail.The bear skull measures 18 14/16" B&C and it was aged at 5/6 years. You can see from the photos it is Silver down its back.

He is wondering how odd or rare this is for Black Bear..?

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I don't know how odd or rare it is but it sure is nice looking!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
This bear was discussed extensively on the Taxidermy.net and we all advised the taxidermist that it was very rare. Had the bear been taken in Alaska, some would have called it a "blue bear" or a "glacier bear". It is truly unique and a trophy of a lifetime for anyone. It's being done in a full lifesized mount which is the only way an animal this unique should be mounted (no stupid rugs. LOL)

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Yes it was discussed on Taxidermy net but not everybody surfs that site , So I thought I would post it up Here to let others see it and post a few comments.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
George beat me to it. Silver phased black bears are called glacier bears when taken in AK.

You can click here or go to google images and type in glacier bear. They are much more common in AK. One outfitter charges 6K to hunt them.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! That's one lucky hunter!

Thanks for posting it, I don't lurk at taxidermy.net. Easy guys, George's post did not seem argumentative, but just to be sure some of us do not read every hunting forum out there.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J P Baker:
George,

Yes it was discussed on Taxidermy net but not everybody surfs that site , So I thought I would post it up Here to let others see it and post a few comments.

Do you ever read your postings?

You TRULY come across as an A$$HOLE on every forum I see you on!

That sure was not called for. Sounds like you have a personal problem. Roll Eyes

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's just a blue phase. Not very common, but there are some around.

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A really nice looking bear. I would think that some place like Gander Mtn or such would be glad to pay to have it mounted if you would "loan" it to them for a couple of years.
I'd have to build a whole new house just to display the mount. Big Grin