New
Find
Notify
Tools

ELK FEVER !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So,I am in the process of moving to Arizona. My realtor was horrified when I asked him to stop the vehicle so we could assess the bachelor herd of bulls in a grassy field near the highway. There was one really nice 6x6 and another that appeared absolutely exceptional to my relatively untrained eye. This big boy was also a 6x6 and probably a bit longer than the other but man was he wide. Absolutely gorgeous animals with great size even in a drought year! I have never had elk fever but now that I am in AZ, I might just have caught it!<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
I've had the fever since my first hunt when I was 14. This is an illness you will never find a cure for nor will you want to get rid of. It only gets worse with every encounter. Welcome to the club!
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John
I'll let you scout for me this year but I'll be there next year during bow season. I will bring my own sleeping bag and cook my own meals and yours also [Big Grin]

Seriously
Good Luck as there is no more majestic animal in North America
Greg

[ 08-01-2002, 23:40: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Here in the police state of CT I never think of AZ as a good hunting state, but if you could inform me.I assume there are thick woods in AZ, in the northern areas, I always think of AZ as dry and no thick forest, just flat and dry.I bet there is some great hunting there. Thanks,kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. I have been an elk addict for 30 years and spend an average 30 days a year hunting them. Just as elk county states once you get the fever you will be hooked for life. By the way if you think it is bad now just wait till you get your first bull on the ground. You will get so bad you will be putting elk piss on your self so you can get closer to the elk for a better shot with the bow. You will be picking up elk turds with your bare hands so you can tell how old it is. You will sweat, curse, call elk every dirty word you know because you just chased them for 10 miles trying to get a shot and they kept just out of range. You will swear that they have esp because when you go left they go right, when you you right they go left, when you go up they go down. When the season is done you will say I am done hunting elk and within two days you will be planning next year.

Yup it is a terrible, terrible affliction but I would not trade it for anything in the world.

Good huntin
Russ

Posts: 596 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who is deeply afflicted. Suffered a divorce and lost his whole rig because of the fever. That was about 10 years ago, now he has a better truck, bigger horse trailer, and a new wall tent and the rest of it to boot!
John, may the force be with you!
Leif

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil from Germany from HKW who is now in Wildboarfever.
Now I have to look at the cornfields.
HKW

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went back to visit this herd a couple days after my first post (with my binos this time) to realize that neither of the larger animals were 6x6's but one was a 6x7 and the other was heavily palmed 8x7! Man! Time to start building up those bonus points.
So, I was watching them and chatting with this guy and his cute little wife who had pulled off the road too and this guy says to me, "yup, ol' Cindy here shot a nice 6x6 last year"! Where the hell do I find a hot little woman like that who wants to HUNT!

JohnTheGreek

[ 08-04-2002, 23:36: Message edited by: JohnTheGreek ]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Elk Fever Club John. I caught it about six years ago on my first hunt. I have been spending the last few weekends checking equipment and re-checking equipment, looking at cool new "toys", and wishing October would get here. It's GREAT! Good hunting and shooting!

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
John,

Welocome to the land of opportunity!!!!!

Arizona is a flat cacti infested hot unreasonable place. We have no hunting and the animals are below average [Wink] .

This year I happened to draw a unit 7W bull tag, NW of Flagstaff !!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I hope I can find something in this flat land.

BD [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigdog,

Yes! You are right. I hope everyone reading these posts realizes that Arizona is a complete shithole where no one would EVER want to put in for ANY hunt. [Big Grin] Those Elk I saw were probably figments of my imagination anyway [Wink]
Hopefully you manage to find a real one this fall!

Northwest of Flag eh? How big is that unit? The desert and res. come up pretty quick once you start heading NW of Flag don't they?

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

<bigdog>
posted
John,

The unit runs from North of I-40 east to hwy 180 and west to hwy 64 northwards to Valle. No indin land until you get farther NW. At I-40 it is piney woods 6-8000 ft going north it turns to pinion juniper forest @ 6-7000 ft.

But I have not seen any thing worth shooting at just trees, trees and more trees [Roll Eyes]

I am already scouting [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

BD

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Just wait until you start calling them. I've had bulls so mad at me that I thought I would have to lower my head and do battle. Of course my brother told me he was mad because I was scaring the hell out of his cows.
But I explained that he was just pissed because I had already gathered up half of his cows and the rest were showing interest.
Welcome to the addiction

one of us
posted Hide Post
How to find a woman who likes to hunt - an answer

I have a son in MT - actually I have a couple - but this one worried me. We would go to the beach in California and the beach was littered with good looking woman - all wearing skimpy little swim suits - did he notice - no!. he went and bought some fish line and stood on the pier and fished. Rather than play in the waves and be studly he goofed around in the tidal pools fascinated by all the little creatures. Back in Montana he would spend his hours playing all sorts of sneaky games with the deer - he actually had names for them before the season opened and he crucified them. Thought this guy would remain a lonely outdoorsman forever - and then he discovered the internet - and chat rooms. Actually met and dated a couple of women who wanted him and to live in Montana - his passion for the outdoors and love of life was contagious - but he was also picky. Well to end this story he made contact with a good looking nurse in Florida - turns out her dad is also a big time outdoorsman - and she had been infected with the same bug - they are now married - living in Montana - hunting together (she lies is .243) - and making a life. There is an answer here somewhere. So - nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
My two young daughters(way to young for any of you guys) love to drive around in the woods looking for deer and elk. You should see them fish and hunt quall and grouse. I told them that they can only date guys that hunt and shoot. About the time they graduate from college they can start dating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rouge6@
�hem...I hunt and shoot [Roll Eyes]
HKW

Posts: 212 | Location: Hamburg-north of Germany | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote