New
Find
Notify
Tools

Acoma Deer Dance at Christmas......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Among my many ways of wasting money is collecting Indian jewelry and crafts. I've recently started buying a few more pots on ebay. At any rate, to learn more about the current crop of potters, I bought this book, "Pueblo and Navajo Contemporary Pottery (2004" by Gary Berger and Nancy Schiffer which has a page devoted to Christmas Day at Acoma Pueblo. Part of it, which I found interesting is this description by Gary Lewis from Acoma. It must be remembered that the people of the pueblos have mostly been dirt poor for many years and venison was an important part of their diet.

quote:
Finally, Gary told of the deer dance on Christmas day. He got very quiet and thoughtful when telling me this story. "The deer, as well as other animals, are not treated in the same manner as many Caucasian people treat them. The animals are respected for the food they provide for the continuation of human life. This is why we honor them in the special dances. In fact, even before commencing a hunt, the body and mind must be cleansed from any physical or spiritual impurities. We have many ways of doing this, but they are sacred and secret so I can't mention them to you. As far as the hunt itself goes, we try to become one with nature and the animals. We must not go out with killing on our minds, only the thoughts of being part of nature and supplying our families with food for their survival. This ties back in with the reason for the deer dances on Christmas day, giving thanks for what the land provides and hoping that these food supplies will be there for future generations."

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Among my many ways of wasting money is collecting Indian jewelry and crafts. I've recently started buying a few more pots on ebay. At any rate, to learn more about the current crop of potters, I bought this book, "Pueblo and Navajo Contemporary Pottery (2004" by Gary Berger and Nancy Schiffer which has a page devoted to Christmas Day at Acoma Pueblo. Part of it, which I found interesting is this description by Gary Lewis from Acoma. It must be remembered that the people of the pueblos have mostly been dirt poor for many years and venison was an important part of their diet.

quote:
Finally, Gary told of the deer dance on Christmas day. He got very quiet and thoughtful when telling me this story. "The deer, as well as other animals, are not treated in the same manner as may Caucasian people treat them. The animals are respected for the food they provide for the continuation of human life. This is why we honor them in the special dances. In fact, even before commencing a hunt, the body and mind must be cleansed from any physical or spiritual impurities. We have many ways of doing this, but they are sacred and secret so I can't mention them to you. As far as the hunt itself goes, we try to become one with nature and the animals. We must not go out with killing on our minds, only the thoughts of being part of nature and supplying our families with food for their survival. This ties back in with the reason for the deer dances on Christmas day, giving thanks for what the land provides and hoping that these food supplies will be there for future generations."

tu2

I've lived in Indian Country all of my life. I've been to some of the ceremonies on the Pueblos. Just about every Indian I have met, employed, or known in any situation are great people. I appreciate their outlook on everything in Nature. The World would benefit if all who lived in it had ingrained the same attitude.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Different tribe (Navajo) but similar world view....

quote:
In Beauty may you walk.
All day long may you walk.
Through the returning seasons may you walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may you walk.
With grasshoppers about your feet may you walk.
With dew about your feet may you walk.

With Beauty may you walk.
With Beauty before you, may you walk.
With Beauty behind you, may you walk.
With Beauty above you, may you walk.
With Beauty below you, may you walk.
With Beauty all around you, may you walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of Beauty,
lively, may you walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of Beauty,
living again, may you walk.
It is finished in Beauty.
It is finished in Beauty.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote