Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Speer Hot-Cor
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I like them just fine. They kill deer real quick. They are IMHO completely on par with the standard Hornady, Sierra spitzer gamekings, Winchester power points, etc.

In fact, I had exceptional accuracy with these bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought 2600 bullets Speer Hot-Cor 180grs spitzer cal 30 ,i got them really cheap. I intend to use them for target exercise znd perhaps hunting. How good is this bullet compared to other standard bullets as Hornady Interlock, Sierra Gameking and Prohunter,Remington Core-Lokt Winchester Power Point and so on... Is it normally a precise bullet?
I use a 308win and would load them to 2500-2600fps.
I'am going to test them like in the Premium bullet test i recently wrote about.If bad results ,perhaps i can use a bullet with similar weight and BC like Interbond or Nosler P.T.?

Posts: 162 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I concur with Doc and Fred338;

If you don't like them, I am sure someone will take them off of your hands.

I actually have a preference for the Speer 180s, over the Sierra or the Hornady's in that particular bullet size and design. My preference lies in accuracy and on game performance.

With 2600 you should be set for your hunting life, even if you are a young man.

Cheers and Good shooting
from a Norwegian decendent
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 160 gr 7mm quite a bit in my 7mag with full power loads. Have always got pass thrus on every angle in deer and 'lopes . I liked them so well I laid in a lifetime supply 25 years ago , so I suppose they could have softened up later runs of the bullet.......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 160gr/7mm from my .280 as a deer/antelope bullet. I haven't taken either w/ my .280 yet but tests in wetpack show them to be about the same as the Sierra, abit softer than a Hornady. For broadside shots on game or smaller deer/antelope, I'll use them @ impact speeds under 2700fps.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That 180 Hot Core is my bullet of choice 90% of the time for accuracy tests or for Deer size game.

They work very well at standard velocites.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote