New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Proofing ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It seems that in this area [NEPA and nearby NY ] the bears are getting immune to ammonia to protect the garbage cans.
Does anyone have ideas about commercially available things or DIY tricks to keep the black bear away ? We had in NY a bear, a few years ago that could open "bear proof " garbage cans ! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a shocking setup at the local Farm & Fleet that you can wire around the cans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a electric fence around the garden I bear walked into and trough it. He pull 200 yards of fence into the woods.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
garbage can in the garage

or throw your garbage in your neighbor's can :-D

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are required to have bear proof garbage cans where I live.

We keep the cans in the garage until garbage day. We set them out only after it is light.

They are a pain in the ass.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garbage can box that locks. No stinky cans in the garage. metal box if need be.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told touse moth balls .Anyone use them /

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Electrified pad by the cans have used them with great success on g bears

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

We keep the cans in the garage until garbage day. We set them out only after it is light.

Ha! Larry, this method works very well....unless your wife forgets to close the garage door in the evening...makes for an interesting rodeo in the wee hours!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that is how one person got attacked around here a year or so ago. Except it was late afternoon.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
always remember years back when a friend got a electrified garbage can - he forgot to tell his wife about it and the last he saw of it it was flying across the street

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My garbage can is place two hundred yards from the house. a bit far to run power to. Yes I have long drive way and I like it.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:

What Larry! There are no stinking bears in Florida!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:

What Larry! There are no stinking bears in Florida!!!

There are a hell of a lot of bears down here. We see them often, even in my yard. We have had 3-4 people attacked within a couple of miles of my house over the last couple of years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a weed chopper on the back fence to keep the dog in the yard.
One day I called the local state patrol over to inspect a car's vin tag. Just as he backed up to the hot wire I hollered at him: STOP!! Wham, he hit the ground on his face. WTF hit me!?!

One of the boards used to have an ending to his sign off: some have to piss on the electric fence ---" don't recall the whole thing. IF you've ever tried it, it don't take a second time to learn that lesson!!

Had a friend that tossed a cherry bomb at a bear, it rolled past the bear and when it went off he got rolled over when the fur ball busted thru the door to the café!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
We live in the middle of Bear Central. A group of us share the cost of a 6 yd bear proof bin. It is placed hidden in the trees on the entrance to our area. Works very well.

Now if someone can tell me how to keep them from eating my apples, peaches,pears, and plumbs I am listening. Never mind, last fall they all but wiped out the trees. Mad

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
We live in the middle of Bear Central. A group of us share the cost of a 6 yd bear proof bin. It is placed hidden in the trees on the entrance to our area. Works very well.

Now if someone can tell me how to keep them from eating my apples, peaches,pears, and plumbs I am listening. Never mind, last fall they all but wiped out the trees. Mad

Suitable electric fence, saves a lot of bee keeper's asses. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Put this guy in your Orchard.
http://i280.photobucket.com/al...izskins/P1000725.jpg

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Link doesn't work !!

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
and I don't know why other than it is not copying the full link. Will keep trying.

Right click on it and "open in new tab" seems to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets try this.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's the solution to an orchard full of bears. 458Win and his little 30-06 with 220 Nosler Partitions. Works every time.