Find
Notify
Tools

NC Elk Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted
They have started discussions and we may be getting a season in near future.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it quite or they will send you some wolves.

Posts: 767 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's funny about that is we've had wolves for quite some time and while they have not been decimating our elk, they have been quite the bone of contention... Millions of dollars spent and I think we've gone from a high of about 130 down to a dozen or so...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marshmandan:
What's funny about that is we've had wolves for quite some time and while they have not been decimating our elk, they have been quite the bone of contention... Millions of dollars spent and I think we've gone from a high of about 130 down to a dozen or so...

Are you in NC also.

Might this be the reason

Today, North Carolina’s Albemarle Peninsula is home to the only confirmed wild red wolves in existence. While red wolves play a vital and unique biological role within their ecosystem, the species has declined more than 85 percent in the last decade (2010-2020) from roughly 130 to 15 wolves.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The Red Wolf is quite a different critter than the wolves of the west and north country.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
The Red Wolf is quite a different critter than the wolves of the west and north country.

God Bless, Louis

This is very true.

When I young kid we would occasionally see red wolves during our duck and deer hunts in southwest Louisiana. Our red wolf sightings were normally at fairly close distances, less than 50 yards. The red wolves were taller and longer than coyotes, but their heads were much bigger than coyotes. That being said, red wolves are a lot smaller than the gray wolves in Canada and Alaska.

One morning when I was about 12 years old, I was deer hunting, sitting on the ground with my back against a big tree with a 12 gauge Remington model 870 loaded with 00 buckshot. Near the end of the hunt, I dozed off and fell asleep. I woke up with 8 or 10 red wolves, all around me. I was terrified and stood up. The wolves gave me a quick look, and picked up their walking pace to a trot, but never changed direction, just went right past me. A couple of wolves walked up the trail, less than 10 yards from me.

Later the same year, I did a research paper on Red Wolves. Back then, I think the only wild populations of red wolves were in Southwest Louisiana and Southeast Texas.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From here it looks like elk are becoming the new whitetail deer, don't have to go far to find them.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1672 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
It does not take much of a scientist to understand that there are a lot more than 15 Red Wolves in Hyde County. Ask the guys on here that bear hunt with me.

Posts: 518 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote