Find
Notify
Tools

free range exotics in USA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

im aware about adouad, blackbuck and nilgai what else is available and where?

all the best.

phil

Posts: 1797 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Phil

I have talked to quite a few Texas boys that say there are actually a lot of free range Axis in different areas.

In New Mexico there are free range Ibex and Gemsbuck on draw as well……. White Sands for the oryx and Canadian River canyon area for Ibex. Imagine someone on her from NM can give you more accurate info.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ibex (2 varieties) and Oryx are free range species in the State of New Mexico.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Texas: axis, sika, fallow, blackbuck, aoudad, nilgai, random sheep and goats, and probably some others.

New Mexico: aoudad, gemsbok, ibex, and I've heard of Himalayan tahr out there, but have never actually seen any.

Maryland has sika deer, and I believe that there are axis in Florida.

Hogs have escaped or been turned loose in many states and are now free range, though I'm not sure you'd consider them exotic.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Virginia has Sika Deer and there are Sambar both in CA and FL.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only place in FL with free ranging exotics (other than hogs) is St Vincents Island to the best of my knowledge. Yes, there are many places with exotics. Some are even quite large tracts but they are not free ranging.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has a ranch down near Kerville in TX. He owns about 6-700 acres with game ranches on either side (His is all low fence). He's got Black-buck, Axis, Sika, Aoudad, various assortments of Rams and hogs galore.

Apparently, animals escape from the adjoining ranches all the time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Ibex (2 varieties) and Oryx are free range species in the State of New Mexico.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Don't forget aoudad there are free ranging audad in Northeastern, Southeastern and Northwestern NM. There is also a free range herd of chamois in NM. But it is a pretty well kept secret as to where, and I ain't telling anymore than that. Cool

The state also released a herd of Kudu in Southwestern NM but none were reported to have survived.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the second kind of ibex in NM? I'm aware of the Persian variety but didn't know about another kind. Chamois?!?!

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I believe there is only Persian ibex in the Florida Mountains in southern NM. There are occasional sightings and the odd killing of one outside the Floridas. I believe the G&F experimented with Siberian ibex, but none were released.

Likewise with kudu. They had them in quarantine at Red Rock, but they proved too fragile for release. Gemsbok and ibex proved robust enough to release at that time.

I'm not sure when aoudad were released (they were separate from the gemsbok, kudu, and ibex experiment). They're mostly in the southeastern part of the state now. There are a few random sheep in the northern part of the state, but the big herds are lost in the past.

Never heard of chamois in NM, though I have heard of Himalayan tahr. Never seen one though.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The only place in FL with free ranging exotics (other than hogs) is St Vincents Island to the best of my knowledge. Yes, there are many places with exotics. Some are even quite large tracts but they are not free ranging.

there might be a few black bucks left on St V, but I think the State removed all the exotics they could catch,it however is loaded with more rattlers per S.F. than anywhere else in the State

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Texas you also have Fallow as well as Addax and a plethora of others.
In a lot of cases, there are more of a species in Texas than in their original home range (example: Addax, Scimitar-horned Oryx and others)

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Off range Oryx in NM is some of the most fun hunting (and best eating) that a man can have.