THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    guided cow elk hunt in colorado for my sons

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

guided cow elk hunt in colorado for my sons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, both of my sons are in college, so they can't take a week off, so I'd like to take them on a guided cow elk hunt in Colorado. So if anyone knows of a reasonably priced hunt, please let me know.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck - Call Kyle Lopez at KB Outdoors, or JT Robbins at Allout Outfitters. See if ether one can help you - I can vouch for both, good guys.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

If anyone would know Aaron would.
But, "there ain't no elk hunts in CO that are
cheap or reasonable!"

Hell, since you live in the Springs, go talk to DOW's office in person. Best info there is direct from them.

Best wishes with your goal.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've hunted elk without a guide for many many years, but with them only having two or three days I'd like them,particulary my older son, to get an elk, but we don't want a "shoot" but a hunt. Thanks for your good wishes. I'll let you know who we end up with then do a hunt report when we're done.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck I seem to recall offers for NM cow hunts later in the season that were fairly reasonable. Couple hours in the car may save a couple hundred each.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a cow hunt for $2500, includes license (non resident or local)Private room at the lodge,fully guided, Its as close to a 100% guarantee as Ive seen on cows and the country is pretty easy to hunt, 88,000 acres of private land, located at Walsenburg, Co. ranch starts where the city limits end, no high fences..I hunt there almost every year...Sold out for this year, may have opening for next year left..but we do fill up pretty quick. For all the details contact me at the below email.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have a cow hunt for $2500, includes license (non resident or local)Private room at the lodge,fully guided, Its as close to a 100% guarantee as Ive seen on cows and the country is pretty easy to hunt, 88,000 acres of private land, located at Walsenburg, Co. ranch starts where the city limits end, no high fences..I hunt there almost every year...Sold out for this year, may have opening for next year left..but we do fill up pretty quick. For all the details contact me at the below email.

Chuck,

You can beat that price in Raton with two seperate outfitters by over $500

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I second that. There are cheaper cow elk hunts available if a person looks around.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I second that. There are cheaper cow elk hunts available if a person looks around.

Late season cow elk hunts were +-$1,000 in Jensen Utah in the recent past.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guide I hunt with in 421 charges $1000.00 and I have killed a cow on each hunt, the last being in 2013.

The problem I have is that cow tags are almost the same price as a bull tag.

I have done 5 cow hunts with him and killed a cow every time.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Colorado?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colorado, east of Grand Junction just off of Grand Mesa.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How many of these prices include a landowner permit and are then plus state license and fees.

I'm guessing all are based on landowner permits since they seem to guarantee cow permits are available.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 3 outfitters I know from NM have cow tags

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many of these prices include a landowner permit and are then plus state license and fees.

I'm guessing all are based on landowner permits since the seem to guarantee cow permits are available.

Mine didn't. I had to put into the draw for a Late Season cow tag, which is a fairly easy draw now due to the price, the guide pays a trespass fee, sometimes, to the Landowner. The Guide grew up and lives in the area and the Landowners are glad to have folks come in and shoot those animals off their hay meadows.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Chuck,

You can beat that price in Raton with two seperate outfitters by over $500

I know Ted, my youngest son hunted with Kiowa for under $1000 plus the NM licence fee. He had a great time and Tim is a quality guy. I have a line on a 2 x 1 guided hunt for my two sons for $1500 in Colorado on a large ranch (not high fenced) so I'm running that down right now.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If that falls through there are 3 Raton options but I'm sure time is short or past for 17

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carefull with the I can beat that..does your hunt include a lodge, licenses, 1x1 guide,transportation, meals and hunt until you kill in most cases, skin, quarter, haul to the processer at $2500 and perhaps negociable on cows as its a 3 party hunt and if he could sell 3 cows as a group he might go for $1500, he will negoiciate sometimes...Its the best I have found, and I don't book for these folks. They are friends of mine that Ive known for years, they don't need a booking agent. Just passing this one for the poster. I will be glad to arrange the hunt if you want or you can call and I'll put you in contact..It helps me get that yearly invite I suspect!!

But they are sold out for this year and next year on bulls, sold out for cows this year, and do have some cow hunts left for 1018.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try H$H outfitting.
John Halandras out of Meeker CO.
Topnotch guy, good camps and cooks and 100% on cow elk.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote