THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    CO bighorn and mountain goat point system

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CO bighorn and mountain goat point system
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Was doing a little reading on the preference point system for CO bighorn and mountain goat.

I understood the point systems works in this way. You apply for a tag and pay the associated costs for said tag. If you do not draw a tag, your money is refunded less the $3 application fee, and you will receive a single preference point for your first submission choice. Or, you can choose a preference point as your first choice with the option of also adding a tag choice for 2nd, 3rd or 4th choices, and will still receive one point. However, you must still pay all fees and will eventually be refunded the money less the $3 application fee.

Therefore, what is the advantage of applying for a preference point (with 1st choice) and using one of your tag choice opportunities up, if you will still receive one point even if you are not successful in the draw? You still have to pay the full fees and will be refunded the same amount of money, if unsuccessful.

I guess I don't see or understand the advantage of applying for the preference point option? bewildered

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of TreeWalker
posted Hide Post
Co is a pain. The first 3 years you apply for goat or sheep you have no chance of being drawn but you have to submit the full amount for the tags as a nonresident. You have to have 3 pref points to be eligible to begin getting bonus points.

In the 4th year of applying you will actually be in the draw for goat and sheep.

If you plan on hunting for a few mre years then start applying if you can tie up the $3,000 of so for a few weeks the next 3 years as you draw dead.

Posts: 23 | Location: Northwest | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird,

The reason they have the option for prefeence points is because on a lot of the tags, with the exception of sheep, moose and goats, is that some people will use the option to build points and still be able to get a tag with one of their other choices. It's kind of moot with sheep, goats and moose since all you really have is one choice. I have never heard of anybody getting a tag on their second choice sine everyone of those species will require 3 points and the points only count on your first choice.

Let me use myself as an example. I'm career Navy and a resident of Colorado. Lots of time I know I'll probably not be able to get home to hunt. I still put in for every tag as a preference point, so that I'll have an easier time drawing the tag when I can get home.

Right now I have 14 points for elk, 6 points for deer, 8 points for bear, the required 3 plus 6 weighted points for sheep, the required 3 plus 6 weighted points for moose, 2 points for antelope because I drew that tag awhile back. I only have 1 point for goat, because I drew that tag in 2002 and since I filled it, I had to wait awhile before I could apply again per the regulations.

In other words, because I have kept building my points, when I know I can make it back for the season, I simply decide which animal I want to go after and put in for that tag. With a lot of points at my disposal, the system works well.

My retirement present for myself will be a bull elk hunt in Unit 2. They only issue 28 bull tags and it will take something like 16 points to draw it. I have hunted cows there about 10 times since I began building points. I always put in for a prefernece point as my first choice and a late season cow tag as my second choice. I can always get the cow tag because they are undersubscribed in that unit. That way, I'll always be able to hunt and I get to learn the area and where the game hangs out while I'm waiting to get my bull tag. And there are some MONSTER bulls in Unit 2.

By allowing somene to get the point without having to hunt that year, it lets people plan for future hunts.

Oh, and TREEWALKER, if you think Colorado is such a pain, then I invite you to keep you ass out and hunt elsewhere. I sure won't miss you in the fields.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well written there Mac. It is just for points building and the sheep & goat is rather moot to have 2nd and 3rd choices. But don't get on Treewalker too bad. Remember, you've been putting in for a lot of years and have the system down. I too have put in for a number of years in CO. also. Yet to get drawn though.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
The only thing you might have a chance to draw on your 2nd choice for a sheep hunt---would be a ewe. For a ram---it's 1st choice or none. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Hey Mac thanks for that expaination, which makes very good since when you put it in those terms.

I guess I was only thinking of myself and having the chance to hunt, if drawn.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
The only thing you might have a chance to draw on your 2nd choice for a sheep hunt---would be a ewe. For a ram---it's 1st choice or none. CB

So, if you do draw the ewe tag, you loose your points accumulated?

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird,

If you drew a EWE tag on your second choice, you would still keep your points. Any tag drawn on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice does not impact points. Only tags drawn on the 1st choice will use your points.

That's the good thing about Colorado's system. You can accumulate points and still get a pretty good tag. Look at my original repy. I have been building points for elk for years, but I still hunt elk in my desired unit almost every year. I just hunt cows now until I get enough points for a bull tag. That lets me find the waterholes, trails, bedding areas etc... until I get a tag and I can keep tabs on the herds from year to year. In other words, when I do get the bull tag, I will have about 16 seasons worth of scouting in the area.

I do know a guy that pulled EWE tags for 3 consecutive years in Unit S32 as his 1st choice. They used to issue a lot of EWE and 1/2 curl ram tags there that were pretty easy to get. I'm pretty sure they did away with the 1/2 curl tags and have since cut way back on EWE tags, but for a couple seasons, it was a good way for someone to hunt sheep every season, they just couldn't get a ram for the wall.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks MAC!

I was doing a little research last night and last year there were a few units were drawing a ewe tag as a second choice could be possible. The success rate for those tags are not great, but doable.

I think I'll do as you suggested, and have done, and throw my name in the hat for the ewe tags. That way if I were to draw, I'd get a chance to do a little huntin'/recon work.

Thanks again,

Graybird