New
Find
Notify
Tools

180gr partition for elk.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, my hunt starts the 24th, I'm gonna use a 30/06, I got 180 grains partitions. I do reload, is there a magic recipe for the 180's?

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had success with max loads of H-4831 and RL-22.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
H4831 and the charge that is most accurate in your gun.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Around 56 grains of H4350

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the above I use IMR4831 in mine works well.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any 180 Grainger and either 4350 works great in the '06!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current preference is 60gr of Ramshot Hunter.

My dad is liking 60gr IMR-4955 in his.

These work well with a 180gr Partition. They are compressed a bit with an Accubond, or SGK.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
4350 tu2

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry guys i didnt have time due to work. I didnt have time to find a load for my rifle. And I did something really really bad and went to the store and just bought a box. I had to find a scope mount to fit the rifle and finally found one that will fit a few days ago. So wish me luck today. I'm goin elk hunting in 55 minutes. Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well the kill zone on an elk is at least 12" and if the factory ammo is grouping 1.75 inches, that it equates just over 6 inches at 350 yards which still leaves you a margin error. I am sure you will do fine.

Please reply with a hunt report.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good luck! When you do get a chance to load your own I too vote for 4350. Good stuff.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I understand time constraints. Despite being an ardent handloader, We've only gotten to shoot factory ammo in the kids' .308 Win. and .338 Federal. The half dozen elk and two oryx killed with those rifles didn't even know the difference. Have at 'em!

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of game with that 180 gr. partition and never a failure..Its deadly..but about 10 years I went to the 200 gr. partition and the 200 gr. accubond and I like them even better on every count...but the 180 is still an awesome bullet for elk in the 06 or 300s..I lean toward RL-22, old WW2 milsurp 4831, H414 in my 06, but lots of powders work great in the 30-06 its not cranky about loads.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I just buy the Federal Premiums for $35 a box. Elk don't like them.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today a 180 Accubond and 63.8 grains of RL26 worked good in my 06 but I suppose that with a steady prone position and 265 yard laying down elk most any thing would work.

Regards

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Anyone getting groups under 1 inch at 100 yards? Got an '06 on the way.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

Buddy of mine has a Ruger American dropping 3/4" groups. Does that help?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith
what velocity did you get with that charge of R 26

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes rnovi.

Reloading specs for those Ruger rounds would be nice especially using H4831 or H4831SC.. I'm not against factory loads either.

quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

Buddy of mine has a Ruger American dropping 3/4" groups. Does that help?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have owned 4 different 30-06's and all shot between 1/2 and 7/8. H4350 is my preferred powder but 4831 is also good.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
Keith
what velocity did you get with that charge of R 26

M 98
Three shot average was 2861 FPS. Two of the shots were duplicates and the other shot was only a couple of FPS different. That load is very stable in my rifle.

That load is a Quick Load suggestion. It works for me.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith
thats a great load i got 2880 with R22 MRP @WXR
i also got 2920 with R17 pretty much the same vel as the Federal high energy ammo
Some years ago i came to a conclusion that the 06 with a 200 gn proj @2700 was a better load then the 180 @2900.....i have never regretted the switch
On 24 hr camp fire there was a post of one guy getting 2740 with a 200 gn accubond / partition , cant remember which from a 20 inch 06....i kind of got really excited , and loaded some ammo with R26 and i got a solid vel of 2710 pretty much the same as i got with R22 WXR MRP and R17
I have shot a few big animals with the 200 gn partition brown bear sambar zebra kudu x2 sable x2 leopard and lots of smaller deer species and just love that 200 gn partition
Daniel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was a long period of time [like 40 years or more]where just about the only answer you would have got was to use 4350, with a few try some 4831's thrown in.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Is any sort of "sight in" of the rifle part of this thrown together combination in the " big plan"?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
Keith
thats a great load i got 2880 with R22 MRP @WXR
i also got 2920 with R17 pretty much the same vel as the Federal high energy ammo
Some years ago i came to a conclusion that the 06 with a 200 gn proj @2700 was a better load then the 180 @2900.....i have never regretted the switch
On 24 hr camp fire there was a post of one guy getting 2740 with a 200 gn accubond / partition , cant remember which from a 20 inch 06....i kind of got really excited , and loaded some ammo with R26 and i got a solid vel of 2710 pretty much the same as i got with R22 WXR MRP and R17
I have shot a few big animals with the 200 gn partition brown bear sambar zebra kudu x2 sable x2 leopard and lots of smaller deer species and just love that 200 gn partition
Daniel

M98,
I for sure understand you liking RL22. It's one of my favorites. I am only trying RL26 to try to get a more temperature stable powder.

I live in a very open area and when I go walking I always carry a rifle to shoot a some rocks that I have set up. One rock is on a hill side at 789 yards. With RL22 on a hot day the shot is always higher than when it's cold. And I mean several inches higher. I am trying for a more stable velocity.

On the subject of bullets 180 grainers sure knock them elk dead.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
KEITH
try the 200 partition or the accubond in the 06 @2700 ...it is an unreal load
Daniel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi kennedy,

You have the perfect rifle/cartridge/bullet combo. Now all you need is to find the MOA load and prepare for some seriously hard work.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting the "High desert unit"? Awesome country, hope you did well.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my long life I used the 180 Partition with a case full of old H4831..When the Accubond showed up some years ago I went to the 200 gr. Accubond and max load of RL-22 or H414..and its even better, but one could do as well with the 200 gr. partition, get 2600 to 2700 FPS with either..My load is barely 2700 FPS with the 200 gr. and 2800 with the 180s.

The best thing about the 200 gr Noslers is they expand quickly an penetrate like hell, so they work perfectly on small Texas Hill Country white tail and equally as well on Moose and elk..The 180 Nosler partition deserves a second place in my book and its still a dandy bullet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote