Find
Notify
Tools

375AI or a 416 REM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I have been looking into all sorts of rounds to select for my next rifle, which I am going to spend alot of money on and will use this rifle for most of everything. I will move to Alaska down the road, but will hunt Africa some day or sooner.I have look at the 375AI and the 416 REM, and with handloads they both shoot almost as flat as each other, with the 300 grain in the 375AI and the 350 grain in the 416.I have not shot either one so as far as recoil goes I do not know, but never had a problem with recoil anyway. I think there is not to much differents with recoil between them, if someone here could fill me in on that I would appreciate it.I like the 416 REM as it shoots flatter then I thought when handloaded fairly hot and I have always like heavy bullets. What would anyone here suggest?, the 375 AI or 416 REM, I will have a 25 inch barrel and I will have MR. Ricks do the work.This will be my finale decision. Thanks for your input. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Kev, check your mail.

<allen day>
posted
Wildcats are an impractical pain in the ass, and in a hundred different ways.

Keep things simple: Get a .416 Remington and consider yourself well-armed.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Allen. I will not have another AI. I built one recently in 243 AI, and they're not worth the added time and expense if you ask me. I've got a 416 Rem, and I love it.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Kev, if you want something harder hitting than the old standby 375 H&H, the 416 Remington Magnum is hard to beat. The 416 RM is the most practical "one rifle" for Africa and Alaska, no doubt.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have interest in a 375 Ai get yourself a M70 CRF and I'll make you a screaming deal. I've a Schneider 5 weight tube chambered and threaded for 375 Wby. It's broken in and I have dies for itna d about 100 rounds thru it. It's quite accurate-sub MOA.

E-mail me if you have any interest.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Funny to me,how "Wildcats are a pain in the ass" and same goes "Improved" cartridges,blah,blah,blah.

When in actuality,the 416,is BOTH a Wildcat and an IMPROVED version of the 375H&H parent case. That tickles me!

You boys make up your minds!!?!! I'll happily tote the Improved versions and "dreaded" Wildcats to boot...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 375 JRS for years and I love it. As far as being a wildcat it is just way to easy. I use 416 rem cases and neck them down to 375. You get aprox 200 - 250 fps increase over a 375h&h. You also have alot more bullet choice than a 416. I like it more than the 375 wby only because the brass is easier to make. You can use 8mm rem, 416 rem of fire form 375 H&H.

Happy hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a .416, then a .338WM when you move to Alaska. Don't be surprised if you end up using the .338 must of the time, since Kodiak hunting can be very expensive. For bear hunting alone, bypass the .375 H&H and use the .416.

The most popular cartridges here are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Big Stick, when a cartridge which was originally a "wildcat" makes the transcendence and becomes an official SAMMI spec factory cartridge for which factory-produced ammunition and brass is available, that cartridge is no longer a wildcat, and therefore it is no longer a "pain in the ass" as per my definition of the term. Case-in-point: The .416 Remington.

I made my mind up a long time ago about this issue, by the way..........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I do not agree with your sweeping statement that wildcats are a pain in the arse.

In Australia at least, a 6mm/06 is about 37 times easier to be involved with than either a 220 Swift or 257 Roberts.

A 375 Ackley is far easier to be involved with than the 416 Remington.

A 270 Ackley is much easier than a 270 Wby or 7mm STW.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
allen,

I understand the progression from "Wildcat",to SAAMI recognized,Factory rolled,"acceptance".

You seem to get a warmish/cozy feeling,when a Big Maker,rolls ammo for you. My preferences differ,in that I can't recall the last box of Factory fodder I purchased(let alone Hunted). 308ball ammo,in cases,the sole exception.

My press can't discern SAAMI acceptance,from something lacking that moniker. Perhaps your's can?.........................

(Playing hell watchin' the news,drinking coffee and typing,this AM. Pardon the previous errors)

[ 07-17-2002, 19:04: Message edited by: Big Stick ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Factory vs. wildcat vs. improved is an issue only if you would, under some circumstances, wish to shoot factory loads.

This is perhaps just a personality quirk with me, but I can't stand the thought of defiling an animal with factory loads. Therefore, all hunting I do is with ammunition which has been tailored for my gun, and it is irrelavant whether its chamber accepts ammunition manufactured by someone else within some vague set of tolerances or only that which I personally build for it.

To me, handloading is an integral and important part of hunting. I have no quarrel with the great majority of people who feel otherwise, but if I used factory loads I would be robbing myself of a big part of the hunting experience.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Everyone should have had at least one Wildcat, Improved cartridge or Corvette. Once you do and you chronograph it the fun will be over.

But improved cartridges are not wildcats and I have had a .375 Impr. for a while and it's not a problem. But if I were to try to sell it I would not get as much for it as a standard .375.

A custom rifle is already a big expense so why be rational?

Both these cartridges kick like heck. The standard .375 H&H is more fun for me and I would choose it unless I really needed the .416 size bullet. And I don't.

<Big Stick>
posted
Stonecreek,

I'd concur,in the benefits and satisfaction of reloads tailored by myself,for a particular rifle. It is a win/win situation.

Only fair to mention that 375H&H Factory fodder is eagerly digested in a 375AI,should one be so inclined,or caught in a dreaded pinch............