New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Marlin
 Login/Join

<sed1945>
posted
Anyone has an opinion on the effective range of the 450 Marlin on Deer and Elk size game?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
as far out as a vital hit is possable by the shooter.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say 150 yards, and if you really know the range of your animal then 200 yards would be the limit or there abouts for the 450 Marlin. I draw experience for this from using my home loaded 45/70 rounds in my marlin lever.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of choppa
posted Hide Post
I agree with PC and RCHAPURA, I have taken hit on Billy Goats and big Roo's out to 300, but she drops off a fair bit at that range, and the shots were more arse than class.

Posts: 137 | Location: Australia Vic Woorarra | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
choppa do you have the guide gun version ?? is it stainless or chrome moly I have the normal 22" barrelled marlin 45/70.

I load the 300 gr sierra prohunters for roo's they blow up real good ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sed1945,

There are a few things that need to be taken into account. What rifle are you using? Barrel length? Load used? My .450 Marlin is a Win. M70 with a 24" barrel and I've taken a caribou at 175 yards and a moose at the 200 yards just last fall. I have also taken a 300 lb. wild boar at 250 yards. Need more information but the Marlin will take whatever you want at whatever range you are capable of hitting them at. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<sed1945>
posted
I presently own a Marlin guide gun and a 1895 Marlin in 45-70 but was thinking of also owning the standard Marlin in 450 marlin. Can the 45-70 compete with the 450? If any of you was to to chose between the two which would it be and why?

one of us
posted Hide Post
With both cases holding about the same amount of powder and seeing that I already own two I'd have to go with the .450 Marlin. Reason, because when I was checking with the people at Hornady THEY told me that the case of the Marlin was a bit thicker so being a little stronger. We're talking Hornady brass now so don't everyone of you .45-70 lovers start flaming me call Hornady and flame them. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sed1945:
I presently own a Marlin guide gun and a 1895 Marlin in 45-70 but was thinking of also owning the standard Marlin in 450 marlin. Can the 45-70 compete with the 450? If any of you was to to chose between the two which would it be and why?

DO YOU handload?

WHY would you want to have two almost identical guns that take entirely different ammo?
What makes you think you are losing something to a 450 Marlin as opposed to the 45-70?
Check around the country and see what ammo is easier to find?

Don't handload, check out these two places and see if your 45-70 is "less" then the 450.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/

At Garrett you can read about a guy who took the African "big six" with his "underpowered" 45-70.

http://www.buffalobore.com/

hope this helps you make the RIGHT decision.

also might check out the Marlin boards where this is a topic of constant discussion.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi/

[ 05-04-2003, 21:32: Message edited by: LAWCOP ]

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Marlin Guide Gun in .450 Marlin. If I had to do it over again I would choose the 45-70 just because of the availability of ammo. With the two ammo manufacturers that LAWCOP suggested there really isn't that much difference between the two.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LAWCOP:
quote:
Originally posted by sed1945:

DO YOU handload?

WHY would you want to have two almost identical guns that take entirely different ammo?
What makes you think you are losing something to a 450 Marlin as opposed to the 45-70?
Check around the country and see what ammo is easier to find?

Don't handload, check out these two places and see if your 45-70 is "less" then the 450.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/

At Garrett you can read about a guy who took the African "big six" with his "underpowered" 45-70.

http://www.buffalobore.com/
IF you go to the safari and hunt pics on their website can see a guy named Ed Seyffert. A friend of mine. Shot through and broke both shoulders with his guide gun and their 45-70 8A load. Said it just dropped like it was struck by lightning. He has also taken leopard and zebra and eland and others all with his guide gun with no problem

hope this helps you make the RIGHT decision.

also might check out the Marlin boards where this is a topic of constant discussion.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi/

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
The .450 and the handloaded 45-70 are for all purposes the same ballistically. I don't use my 45-70 for anything much over 100yds. Why? Because most of my shots hunting have come within 100yds some as close as 7 yds. If I need s rifle with more range I'll go to one of my .308's

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog__Gary.....you have a private message.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote