Find
Notify
Tools

More Wolf vs. Elk Info!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snapper

I shot a mange coyote last year down here in Wyoming running around the foothills of the Bighorn. I had never seen anything like that before, I put him out of his misery.

Kudu56
Where in N.M does your boy hunt bears? If he already has a spot great however, if he is going down there for the first time let me know, I know some good hot spots.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kudu56
Where in N.M does your boy hunt bears? If he already has a spot great however, if he is going down there for the first time let me know, I know some good hot spots.

I am not sure, if I see him before he takes off I will ask him. Did you draw any tags for Wyoming this year?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a three legged coyote w/mange in the neighbourhood but no on can get a shot at it.A friend of mines family has a ranch near Ennis and they have seen wolves with mange.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what the old timers tell me, parvo is the best bet! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Steve, We've seen and shot a lot of coyotes with mange. I've been told that really cold weather kills them off, but they show up after a cold spell. I would guess that a prolonged cold spell (below zero) with wind and snow would be hard to survive.

I would agree with Kudu that parvo is hard on any kind of wolf, coyote or dog. With time the wolve pups that live through a mild case may/will pass that on.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of my comments on your statements Snapper. I layed the sarcasm a little thick on a few of those posts...I hope you didn't take them LITERALLY when you wrote yours! Big Grin

quote:
University studies show that proper cattle grazing* removes older, coarse grass and allows for regrowth that wildlife can beter utilize, this is good. Of course you know that deer/antelope are forbes grazers and cattle prefer grass. You will never see cows eat all the leaves/twigs off an apple tree when they are hungry like the deer in my neighborhood do.

This doesn't make up for poor animal husbandry on public lands. Spend a little time along a riparian area where the cows have been for the last couple of months...I've seen putting greens with a higher stubble height. *When a guy is only paying $1.35 a month an AUM to graze public lands, they should be held to a higher standard with their grazing management...unfortunately they aren't.

quote:
A recent article I've read shows that reducing coyote populations by hunting or other means increase numbers of pups born per litter.

That is because coyotes are an example of a density dependent population. If there was no coyote control, there would be smaller litter sizes with less pups. One would figure then, if you have the same number of individuals coming into a population with or without coyote control (less die, less pups or more die with more pups...should even out), why waste our taxpayers money trying to kill them all off? Why not put this into habitat enhancement and benefit wildlife?

quote:
Buffalo seem to be the main source/problem of disease around Yellowstone. Maybe you should start with eradicating them? Not a chance, the FWP's enjoys this exercise and has rounded up over 900 this winter and taken them to slaughter. Your tax dollars at work.

And where did the buffalo get brucellosis? From the first domestic cattle that were brought in to graze this country! Brucellosis is not indigenous with the wild elk or bison in the GYE. In fact, elk would be considered a larger threat in transmitting brucellosis to livestock that bison ever would. I was speaking more in terms of what domestic sheep have done to our native bighorn sheep. Pasteurellosis, pneumonia, and scabies are just a few examples of the wonderful diseases passed on to bighorns from domestic sheep. I also don't recall the MTFW&P rounding up any bison. You can thank your Montana Dept. of Agriculture for that one.

Wyoming hasn't followed suit with the wolf plan, because the USFWS and the state are having a little disagreement with Wyoming's wolf management plan (manage wolves around Yellowstone, Grand Teton NP, and the adjacent wilderness areas, be able to shoot on sight everywhere else in the state).

Where will it all end when the wolves are finally delisted? Back in court when the greenies sue the states of ID, MT, and WY over their wolf management plans.

MG

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
One interesting note about coyotes, their litter size increase in areas of lower density does seem to be tied to a physiological response of some sort. Exactly how it works is not yet fully understood. I have a fewer local ranchers/ sheep farmers who will pay me when I kill a coyote on their land and they are always encouraging me to come hunt etc. I have told them over and over that although I love comin out and hunting them, reducing their numbers isn't going to make them go away. # years ago we killed 4; 2 years ago we got 6; this year we have taken 6 and still have 2 or 3 bredding pairs running around. Last summer I saw a female with 5 pups in tow.......go figure.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu56

I thought New Mexico did away with their spring Bear season years ago...the greenie's got that taken care, just like they got the mountain lion season reduced many years ago.
I might be wrong about the spring season, I'll call a friend of mine down there today and let you know for sure.

I have all my Sheep points... so I'm hoping this is my luck year. Back in 2000 I applied for Mt.Goat for the first time and drew. I drew a Moose tag 1999 in area 14 which is now closed due to the wolves and bears all along the Yellowstone south borders.

The only thing that will survive a nucular war will be the cockroach and coyote... the coyote will then eat the cockroach and remain here for ever.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have all my Sheep points... so I'm hoping this is my luck year. Back in 2000 I applied for Mt.Goat for the first time and drew

thumb I hope you draw!

quote:
Back in 2000 I applied for Mt.Goat for the first time and drew. I drew a Moose tag 1999 in area 14 which is now closed due to the wolves and bears all along the Yellowstone south borders.

Man you need to go Vegas!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu56

I called my friend this morning in New Mexico and he said that there is NO spring bear hunt, just a fall hunt.

Does your're boy hunt private land near TenSleep for cats?

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
He hunts public land all around Tensleep. Thanks for the info on the bear hunting, is there a spring bear season on any of the reservations? He is hunting with a tribal member that outfits hunts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu56

You are probably right about hunting reservation. That is why the Jicarrella(SP) down in N.M. has such large and healty herds because they control the coyote and Mountain Lion population and as well their bears.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
For you Wolf lovers - please follow the link I have provided below and see some more of the handywork your furry little friends have brought to the Rocky Mountain States!
Also take careful note of the bureaucratic mess you Wolf lovers have helped initiate in regards to "dealing" with the now incredibly over-populated predators!
Thanks for nothing rmef!

Link: http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2006/03/13/br...gnews/10garfield.txt

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapper:
University studies show that proper cattle grazing removes older, coarse grass and allows for regrowth that wildlife can beter utilize, this is good. Of course you know that deer/antelope are forbes grazers and cattle prefer grass. You will never see cows eat all the leaves/twigs off an apple tree when they are hungry like the deer in my neighborhood do.
[LIST]

You can easily find other university studies that show the opposite as well. Probably more often than not, the interaction between game and cattle is negative both ways, esp. with regards to elk and cattle.

quote:

Buffalo seem to be the main source/problem of disease around Yellowstone. Maybe you should start with eradicating them? Not a chance, the FWP's enjoys this exercise and has rounded up over 900 this winter and taken them to slaughter. Your tax dollars at work.

Buffalo are the main source of blather about disease around Yellowstone. Brucellosis is at least as common, if not more so, in elk.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote