Find
Notify
Tools

Texas hunting open and working
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
For what it is worth, my contacts in the exotic hunting trade are having good hunting. Also a friend that just likes to hunt a lot has recently taken wild turkey, feral hogs, and something that looks like a big black cat eating a small peccary.

Could be a game cam pic or photoshopped, but is interesting.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a jaguar to me. I have seen reports of a few males making up to Arizona and Deep South Texas.

Or it could have got loose from someone’s maniageria.

Posts: 11387 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Jaguars are commonly melanistic!

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Update:
The rancher emailed this and other game camera pix to my friend Joe after he had hunted the ranch and taken Javelina. Rancher did not actually see the cat, but did get the picture from one of his game cameras. The ranch is in far Southwest Texas where the animals cross the border as they please.
Such pix make hunting the area a little bit more interesting.

Joe just called and he is driving to Hondo to help a friend who owns a high fenced exotic ranch and has a client there shooting game faster than he (the owner )can get it collected and hung in the cold room. Dang, I would drive down and help if not for stitches in my right hand and more doctor and dentist appointments next week.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having ranched on the border of far west Texas, bordering the Big Bend Nat'l. park, and a couple miles from Boquillas Mexico I realize that animals do cross the river from time to time. The last grizzly was shot South of Marathon some 75 years ago, and never has a Jaguar been sighted that I know of short of rumor..If that was a Jaguar even the black ones show spots if you look close, and from the shape of the head I suspect its a Mt. Lion with a black gene, a freak of nature..Other than that the picture is just too posed with the Javalina head in mouth etc. and Ive never seen a Lion kill wherein the predictor packed off a head. that Javalina head is cut pretty clean. looks like some one cut off its head to me. Most of the decapited kills Ive seen had a lot of hide hanging off the head, not chopped off. Just my opine, right or wrong..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
No melanistic (black) mountain lion has ever been known to science. It just doesn't happen.

That is a jaguar.

His head is too broad to be a lion anyway.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the game camera picture that the friend of your friend has.
The picture you posted is of a Jaguar in a zoo.

Posts: 2970 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I don't like to say someone is telling you a tall tale, but I don't see a melanistic jaguar being on cam in Texas. Non-melanistic in Arizona, occasionally. And why would it carry a head around and how would it decapitate the javelina? The body is where the meat is not the head...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote