THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    MDC finds more CWD, disease still rare in state
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MDC finds more CWD, disease still rare in state
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
MDC finds more CWD, disease still rare in state

Learn more about CWD and MDC’s efforts to limit its spread at mdc.mo.gov/cwd.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) reports that it has confirmed 24 new cases of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in Missouri from nearly 27,000 tissue samples collected from white-tailed deer and submitted for disease testing this season. Most of the tissue samples were taken from hunter-harvested deer.

The new cases were found in the following counties: 2 in Adair, 5 in Franklin, 5 in Linn, 2 in Macon, 2 in Perry, 5 in Ste. Genevieve, 2 in Stone, and 1 in Taney.

CWD is a deadly disease in white-tailed deer and other members of the deer family. The purpose of MDC’s CWD sampling and testing efforts is to find cases early so the Department can limit the spread of the disease. Learn more about CWD at mdc.mo.gov/cwd.

“While any new cases of CWD are not good news, we are happy that no cases have been found in new counties this year,” said MDC Wildlife Disease Coordinator Jasmine Batten. “Overall, CWD remains relatively rare in the state and even in most areas where it has been found. These results suggest that our disease-management actions are working.”

The 24 new cases bring the total number of CWD cases in the state to 140. MDC has tested about 130,000 deer since the first cases of CWD were found in free-ranging deer in Missouri in 2012. Get more information at mdc.mo.gov/cwd under “CWD in Missouri.”

Batten added that there were only three new CWD cases near the Missouri-Arkansas border, an area of heightened concern considering the extent of CWD in northwest Arkansas.

“More than 700 deer and elk in northwest Arkansas have been confirmed to have CWD in the past few years, so we consider finding only three new cases in Stone and Taney counties of southwest Missouri to be good news.”

About 8,000 of the nearly 27,000 tissue samples MDC had tested this season were collected by taxidermists and meat processors around the state as part of the Department’s voluntary CWD sampling efforts. Free voluntary sampling continues through the end of deer season, Jan. 15. Get more information at mdc.mo.gov/cwd under “Voluntary CWD Sampling All Season.”

MDC’s mandatory sampling efforts in 29 counties during the opening weekend of the November portion of the firearms deer season yielded about 18,800 of the nearly 27,000 tissue samples tested for CWD.

MDC will continue its efforts to manage CWD after the Jan. 15 close of deer season into March. MDC staff will again work with landowners on a voluntary basis in the immediate areas around where recent cases of CWD have been found to remove more potentially infected deer. The goal of the effort is to limit the spread of the disease and to keep the percentage of deer that have the disease low. Learn more at mdc.mo.gov/cwd under “Post Season Targeted Culling.”

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This is such a miserable disease. Very glad to see Missouri trying hard to head off the spread of it. We have it here in New Mexico game unit 34.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What many people do not understand is this disease, caused by prions, remains in the environment. What is troubling to me is the anti-hunters/wolf lovers (you know, wolves solve everything!) do think having more and more wolves to kill cervids will 'cure' it.

This is not so at all. Wolves leave carcasses out in the environment and they also poop out prions. This just keeps spreading it!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
There’s absolutely nothing that can be done to stop or prevent the spread of CWD

I’ve recently discovered that MDC is receiving $20 million a year in “federal disaster relief aid” for CWD and the feral hog problem.

MDC is as corrupt as they are incompetent.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of money. What are they doing with it?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to stop the spread of CDW p, you have to shut down the intrastate deer breeding market.

Every outbreak east of the Mississippi has been traced to pen deer being shipped to East.

Some states have ban deer based urine lures out of an abundance of caution.

There were three new areas of infection in Ohio last year. Each came from a farm/penned deer being shipped in and then coming in contact with wild deer.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Maybe the hog problem could be solved by long prison terms for anyone releasing them. Stopping the marketing of any deer going into or out of the state. That wouldn't be popular with anyone. But would it be popular to have a few million hogs and NO WHITETAILS? Be Well, Packy

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I still have this problem with my eyes. When I see feral hog in print my mind reads FEDERAL PIG. It is hard to force myself to concentrate and keep it straight. Maybe a good day at the range with a subsequent hunt of a few month's duration would help. No public, no phones, only a possible resupply somewhere down the road. Maybe start in early spring so the cabin will be done by next Winter. I promise to come back to "civilization" some day. Yours truly, what's my name again????

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
That's a lot of money. What are they doing with it?

MDC officials are lining their pockets.

They now have a huge budget for feral hog control with no prerequisite performance standard in place.
MDC now has a financial incentive to prevent the eradication of feral hogs.

Go to some meetings and see for yourself exactly how corrupt the folks at MDC really are.

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
If you want to stop the spread of CDW p, you have to shut down the intrastate deer breeding market.

Every outbreak east of the Mississippi has been traced to pen deer being shipped to East.

There were three new areas of infection in Ohio last year. Each came from a farm/penned deer being shipped in and then coming in contact with wild deer.

The problem is that the science doesn't support the claim you made. They are just regurgitated speculation.

Prions naturally occur in the soil virtually everywhere in NA. When a population density reaches a critical point, you start to see infections.

Predators are now proving to be the leading cause of spreading CWD.

CWD, just like Anthrax, has been around since the dawn of time and the deer are still here. Just more of the sky is falling BS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is science does support the claim. I am not going to do everyone’s reading for them.

Michigan banned deer baiting last year to combat CWD.

Farm/Pen raised deer being shipped East is how he diease got across the Mississippi. That is not in dispute.

To date, no CWD has been discovered in KY. This condition will not last much longer.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is science does support the claim. I am not going to do everyone’s reading for them.

Farm/Pen raised deer being shipped East is how he diease got across the Mississippi. That is not in dispute.

To date, no CWD has been discovered in KY. This condition will not last much longer.

Apparently you’re reading very different studies and attending very different seminars of late than what I am.

CWD was confirmEd 3+ decades ago and symptoms documented several decades before that in Suffolk county, Long Island NY
You can’t get any further east of the Mississippi than that
Number of high fence operations on Long Island 0

I’m pretty sure the research my colleagues are doing at Cornell as we speak is valid and sound.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer breeding comment is right but then again incomplete. Prions are in the soil, in feces and in saliva of infected animals, so in that respect deer farming could be a spreader of CWD. What I didn't know until recently is the following: Where prions exist in the soil , plants can take the prions up and when an ungulate ingests they either are infected or can become infected. Think about the massive amount of agricultural products that are shipped around North America. Think about the hay haulers. It seems to be a nightmare scenario.
OR
Could it be possible that these prions and accompanying CWD have existed in the environment forever and the incredibly long incubation period has masked it's presence? Could it be a case where science is just now catching up with the long term reality on the ground?
In reading on this, still not clear on what the current science says about their opinion on "ground zero".

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
There is an unsubstantiated theory that CWD evolved in Fort Collins at Colorado State decades ago when researchers there were studying scrapie in sheep, and let some hungry mule deer onto the pastures they had used for their sheep studies, never suspecting the potential for a crossover prion mutation.
I have no idea at all if this theory is anywhere near the truth, but we really need to know a lot more about prions. It is possible they are the Antichrist of infectious diseases.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
The plant based absorption is a unproven theory aka mere speculation.
The prion level shed by animals with CWD in saliva and feces is comparable to the levels found shed by humans with HIV, detectable, but not an infectious level.

This is why testing is done on lymph glands, not saliva or feces which would be much easier to obtain but would provide too many statistical errors.

If you go back in history you’ll find several examples of what were then thought of as eminent doom through infectious disease. So far none have wiped out a species as predicted.

Look at whitenose syndrome in bats. It was predicted to wipe out Little Brown Bats in NA within 20 years. Now the science shows that the bats which didn’t die from it, pass their natural resistance to their offspring. Recent surveys show the LBB population stabilized and has been increasing in central NY at site 0. We are finding our data in the Midwest to be consistent with the data collected in the NorthEast on WNS.

I’m placing my bet that in time CWD will be just another footnote in the book of the falling sky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tree-
Not sure where you are getting your information but more than one research facility is saying the science is in- plants do absorb the infectious prions. What the infection rate is from these absorbed prions is not known. It is pretty widely reported- Science Daily and Wisconsin Academy for two.
Totally agree with your last "bet". In the meantime all the bureaucrats will use this as a "sky is falling" call for more dollars to be wasted. That is a certainty. Happening now in Big Sky Country. Does anyone remember the Whirling Disease scare of 15 or so years ago?

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Crane, I get the majority of info from a couple of no nothings at Cornell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prions are no doubt a lot different than the fungus that causes White Nose Syndrome in bats.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
When electricity arrives in Ithaca the staff there will be able to use search engines and get current with the research.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CWD was "discovered in Colorado in early 1970s. It came out of research pens at Ft Collins Co in the mid 1960s. It has not been around forever unless yer religion only dates the earth to 1965.
Predators are NOT the main vehicle for spreading CWD, a Ford truck is.
Some of these posts are laughable.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Apparently you’re reading very different studies and attending very different seminars of late than what I am.

CWD was confirmEd 3+ decades ago and symptoms documented several decades before that in Suffolk county, Long Island NY
You can’t get any further east of the Mississippi than that
Number of high fence operations on Long Island 0

I too have no idea where your information comes from.

It is widely accepted (even by Cornell University) that CWD was first detected in NY state in 2005 in my home county of Oneida.This was likely the result of a taxidermist disposing of CWD infected deer parts onto property where a deer farm existed. The farmed deer either interacted with wild deer at the fenceline or some farmed deer escaped, resulting in a finding of CWD infected deer "in the wild".

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not high fence operations necessarily it is on pen raised/farmed deer. This is a nussance that appears lost. If a herd is 100 percent clean in a pen. I do not believe the diease just appears.

Tree’em your post assumes those deer, taken on face value, came from Long Isand. With states inactimg bone out restrictions it is not mandatory those deer came from Long Island as you cite or did not have interaction with penned deer from an infected site.

See the two post above me. And again, farm raised deer being transported across interstate sprees the disease. Get over it.

The genie is probably out of the bottle, but I’d we really want to haunt the spread Congress should ban the intrastate commerce in deer species tomorrow. Too much money, will not happen. So, I await the day CSS is brought into KY.

Pensilvania and a few other states has even banned deer urine scents to prevent the spread. I am sure you have seen the big deer pens on Comcast Scents properties.

We all know what CWD looks like now. Tell me if it has been around forever and everywhere how KY has never had a deer found to have CWD to date. I stress to date, because a deer pen is 15 minutes up the road from me. I see wild deer come up to the pens every time I drive by.

I have no issue or animosity toward Tree’em. I have no doubt he and I want the same thing Health deer herds for my years to come. I see a great danger in contamination that has been wrought by interstate commerce in deer. He appears not to see such danger. If you look at state policy his opinion carries the day.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a Bachelors degree in environmental science and because I am a hunter most of those courses were on wildlife management.

My take on prions is that there is a lot we don't know. About once every 2 or 3 months someone will come out and say that they now know the answer of who is to blame.

The problem unlike the human health world is that a lot of the people who are involved in the CWD are not really medical or veterinarian doctors. A lot of these people are wildlife biologist, zoologist, and others that have scientific but not medical degrees. BUT! what they say is taken by the hunting public as gospel.

My x-girlfriend is a MD, who is a animal person and was involved in BSE in cattle and human crossovers. She knows as much as anyone on prions and is scared to death of them. She told me they have been on this planet for a long time, thousands if not millions of years.

I have not researched it, my current profession has nothing to do with wildlife management and very little to do with environmental science. I will only say please hold off spreading bad information unless you got it from a good source. At this point I have no idea what a good source would be.

Maybe a MD or DVM that had worked on prion diseases and understood them better.

Bad information on CWD is rife. Please just be careful with what you share.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it from a reliable source that prions were blown here by Solar winds from the Planet Uranus.Take it to the bank!! space

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Where is CWD found in North America:

Where are CWD prions found in deer/elk:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

CWD is a Game Farm originated disease.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1672 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming has never had game farms since the 1960's, and it is the epicenter of CWD.

CWD on game farms is not helping the situation, I will agree to that.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That map imparts great sadness upon me. In looking at Alberta, Saskatchewan, Montana and south I suspect CWD is much more widespread in Montana than pictured.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how it got here to West Texas/Southern New Mexico.

I would bet someone moved a disease vector.

one of us
posted Hide Post
lots of hay hauled down that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

Grizz

CWD is NOT a game farm originated disease. You can thank the state of Colorado for that. The research center at Ft Collins turned exposed mule deer does loose just north of Ft Collins. Thats the lower part of the BLACK area on Erics map. They also shipped exposed does to several enclosures and two zoos. See the large infected area in Canada north of Montana.

Game farms DID help spread the disease across the US by road, but they didn't start it by any means.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I wonder how it got here to West Texas/Southern New Mexico.

I would bet someone moved a disease vector.

mule deer shipped from Ft Collins to the White Sands Missle base in NM. Then natural infection movement by local deer into Texas over the next 40 years.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
The map above is missing data.

CWD was first confirmed on Long Island in Calverton, NY in 1992. Specimen was brought in to Cornell by me personally. The second one confirmed on LI was in 1998 from within a half mile of the first. Also brought in by me.

There were earlier accounts of deer displaying classic symptoms of CWD on LI decades earlier but no testing was available.

If you want to point fingers at a USDA facility, might I suggest Plumb Island.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:

Grizz

CWD is NOT a game farm originated disease. You can thank the state of Colorado for that. The research center at Ft Collins turned exposed mule deer does loose just north of Ft Collins. Thats the lower part of the BLACK area on Erics map. They also shipped exposed does to several enclosures and two zoos. See the large infected area in Canada north of Montana.

Game farms DID help spread the disease across the US by road, but they didn't start it by any means.

If you accept the Fort Collins theory the point is created in pen raised deer. Then exposed in Wild populations. Lot/pen tasing Der concentrates them for the exchange of diease. Deer are purchased and transported across state lines and there gos. Add in local populations that are undoubtedly exposed from hunters bringing contaminated carcuses before nine out laws. However, I have never read of a contamination being traced by a person transporting a carcus from the west back home.

I have read plenty of pen deer being purchased, transported east, and then local herds being contaminated

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:

CWD was first confirmed on Long Island in Calverton, NY in 1992. Specimen was brought in to Cornell by me personally. The second one confirmed on LI was in 1998 from within a half mile of the first. Also brought in by me.

There were earlier accounts of deer displaying classic symptoms of CWD on LI decades earlier but no testing was available.

Please provide some proof, point to documents, articles, etc. to back up your claim, as I can find nothing of the sort.

PS - It's "Plum Island", not "Plumb", and a popular place for conspiracy theories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is wrong. CWD was first identified at a USDA research facility in Colorado in the 1960s and is known to have been in Colorado and Wyoming mule deer herds since shortly after that. Several areas there have been largely depopulated of mule deer by CWD.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:

This is wrong. CWD was first identified at a USDA research facility in Colorado in the 1960s and is known to have been in Colorado and Wyoming mule deer herds since shortly after that. Several areas there have been largely depopulated of mule deer by CWD.

Tree'um wasn't citing the first appearance overall; he was talking solely about LI.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So much we don't know. Thanks for a great thread Ann.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
So much we don't know. Thanks for a great thread Ann.

It's a topic that deserves our attention.

~Ann