posted Hide Post
For those who missed it, the TX segment begins at about 29:35

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/w...newsMainColumnArea.6

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was pleasnantly suprised also.

But I am glad that the Anti-Hunting broad was shown for what she is....a lunatic....it was good to see on natioanl telivision that she doesn't care a bit about the welfare of the animals or their continued existence.

All she wants to do is stop hunting NO MATTER WHAT!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Great show but where did she get the 170 (175) Oryx to reintroduce?

Could they have come from a game farm?

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL at "TY", and yep, that anti gal came across just like I had hoped if they had any of them on the piece. What a nutcase and she was wearing a pound of animal byproduct makeup!!!

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Here's a good article from the OUTDOOR HUB that explains this issue very well.

New Permit Rules

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to be pretty much a no-brainer. Fill out the application, send in your fee and very little changes in the hunt. Although it would be nice if the federal government would keep their big nose out of private business for a change...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is the whole point. The Feds should stay out of this, but because of the law suit they can't, but they took the line of least resistance, allow the take of the animals with only one new permit that is
not costing the rancher that much money.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony---Thanks for that update because it's much easier and cheaper than everyone had started talking about. The Feds should definitely keep their hands out of private business like that, but in this case at least it looks like they used some common sense and have made it fairly easy and cheap to apply for the permits. It doesn't look like the fees should put anybody out of business like some have been speculating and even though the antis won the court case they really didn't stop hunting and that was their objective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This ruling hasn't put any outfitters out of business. Altho"! Many will reduce their Scimitar Horner Oryx, Addax and Damma Gazelle populations due to red tape. I have booked a Oryx hunt that has been greatly reduced $$. This particular outfitter/ranch will not offer Oryx hunts in the future. How does that bode well for the populations. FOA have not only shot themselves in the foot, they have actually contributed to the reduction of the species. Perhaps the extinction of the species in not too many decades. FOA,NOT! Friends of bleeding heart libtards! The govmint needs to stay out of this business. My two cents! MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is, and I don't know how much of the thread you have read or how many of the links you have checked out, but there really is not that much red tape with the new ruling.

There is more to this story below the surface than what has been brought to light.

FOA/Peta/HSUS and all related groups never come off looking good in unbiased interviews, they clearly show that they operate purely from an emotional stance, no real science or fact in their position.

To me however, I think the hunting side of this issue has resorted to some sensationalism themselves and are making more of the issue than is actually there.

To me it seems more of an over active knee-jerk reaction and yes the numbers of these species in captivity will decrease.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
The problem is, and I don't know how much of the thread you have read or how many of the links you have checked out, but there really is not that much red tape with the new ruling.

There is more to this story below the surface than what has been brought to light.

FOA/Peta/HSUS and all related groups never come off looking good in unbiased interviews, they clearly show that they operate purely from an emotional stance, no real science or fact in their position.

To me however, I think the hunting side of this issue has resorted to some sensationalism themselves and are making more of the issue than is actually there.

To me it seems more of an over active knee-jerk reaction and yes the numbers of these species in captivity will decrease.

It may not seem like there is all that much red-tape....but I promise you, USWFS has no intentions of making the permitting process easy for ranchers. They have a long, proven track record of making it extremely difficult in the past with the species that already require permits.

The problem is (and this is the main reason so many places are liquidating their herds), most private herds of Oryx/Addax/Dama Gazelle are relatively small (10, 20, 30 animals....) There are only a handful of places that have large herds of more than 50 or 100 animals. USFWS will almost certainly make it hard for the little guys to get permits, if they get any at all.

Also, from my limited experience with the other species (Barasingha, Red Lechwe, etc...), the feds DO NOT issue anywhere near enough permits to keep herds in check on a specific piece of property. I have yet to meet a single ranch owner that received more than a few permits from USFWS, regardless of what the law reads or incinuates.

I truly hope I am wrong, but I don't expect USFWS to make this easy on the owners of these animals.....not at all.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer---If you haven't read the requirements, maybe you should. It says that a place only needs one permit to operate and they won't be paying more than a couple hundred bucks a year . They don't need a permit for each animal that is taken off the ranch, so I don't see where you're coming from or why even the smallest ranch couldn't stay in business for what the top dollars they charge to shoot those exotics! According to what I read, the Feds ahve made it about as easy as they could to continue letting the ranchers do what they've been doing and it wasn't their fault the Courts ruled in favor of the anti's and made them drop the exemption on those animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade I have dealt with USF&WS in the past, and getting permits has alway involved paperwork, but the process is just part of the price of doing buiness.

I just think more is being made of this than is really there. For those ranches that already have the $200.00 permit, getting the $100.00 permit will take some time, but what is the big hurry in moving these animals all of a sudden. Hunt for these 3 dpecies have been being offered for years and all of a sudden, 1, $100.00 annual permit for each ranch and all the animals of each of the three species on those ranches and everyone want to dpo a wholesale kill off?

I am not buying into that. The ranches have been doing a great job with these animals and USF&WS and now the Public in General after the 60 minutes segment know how good the ranches have been doing. I do not see, and I do not think I am alone, where eliminating animals on some properties because of some paperwork and an additional $100.00 per year is going to help the ranchers cause in any way.

I am not disputing the fact that the animals did not need to be listed, I just do not see how drastically reducing the numbers or even eliminating these species from any ranch is going to do any more than give credence to some of the charges being leveled by the anti groups. JMO.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Eland Slayer---If you haven't read the requirements, maybe you should. It says that a place only needs one permit to operate and they won't be paying more than a couple hundred bucks a year . They don't need a permit for each animal that is taken off the ranch, so I don't see where you're coming from or why even the smallest ranch couldn't stay in business for what the top dollars they charge to shoot those exotics! According to what I read, the Feds ahve made it about as easy as they could to continue letting the ranchers do what they've been doing and it wasn't their fault the Courts ruled in favor of the anti's and made them drop the exemption on those animals.

I have read the requirements....but I have also talked to people who are dealing with it first hand.

USFWS may only require one permit for culling, but before you are allowed to cull/hunt anything, you must first submit all the information about your herd (population, size of ranch, and the number you desire to cull/hunt). USFWS then approves or modifies the numbers of animals you desire to take out of your herd. You are then only allowed to take out that many animals, and not a single animal more. You may not harvest your entire herd, or even half of your herd....but only what USFWS allows you to. In addition, the smaller operations which only carry males for the purpose of hunting may no longer do so (I know this is a very controversial topic among some hunters, but you cannot deny that the practice of "put & take" still supports the breeding industry nonetheless).

In the past, this number approved by USFWS has been ridiculously low for the number of animals on a given property. Until I see some change in the way things are done, I will not hold my breath.

But like I said.....I hope I am wrong in my assumptions.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I am wrong also, I hate being right. I hope that the law would be changed back to the way it was.

But I also know people and I know how our society as a whole has gone to making knee jerk reactions to things instead of taking a little slower and more thought out course of action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazy---Ain't that the truth! I'm thinking along your lines and hope we are both right since I DO like being right on stuff, LOL!!!

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
It's so obvious that I need not say it, but I must:

THAT PRISCILLA BITCH IS CRAAAAAAAZZZZZZYYYY!!!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote