New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hip Boots for Alaskan hunting
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
Gentlemen, I'm looking at various hip boot options for Alaskan hunting. I'd like to buy a pair that will work well for coastal bear hunting, or wherever else hip boots are called for in Alaska for hunting. I want the best pair I can find that I can use on several hunts if possible before they need to be replaced.

Thanks for your help!

AD

<Juneau>
posted
Allen,
No matter the brand, the hip boots you will be the most comfortable in walking all day will be those with with a fairly snug ankle fit. The unfortunate thing about tight ankle fit, is that if your feet sweat, by the end of the day they are a real pain in the ass to get off. Two of the best I've ever owned were Marathon's and XTRATUF Neoprenes. Unfortunately, I don't believe either are made anymore (at least I haven't been able to find them). Cabela's is marketing an interesting pair, which I haven't tried, but might be worth looking into. The ankle is fairly wide for easy on and off, but then there is a built in strap system for tightening around the ankle once the boots are on. Again, have only seen them, not tried them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy does this post bring back memories as I almost lived in hip boots for the 4 years I was stationed in Alaska.

If there is a "secret" it is get the best ankle support you can and to wear good suspenders to hold them up.....I hated the damn things and still do. Take a look at the various catalogs as there have been some advancements in both material and design. If it gets down to a choice between two or three, always go with the lightest ones you can get. Good luck.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If cabelas still offers the 1000denier brush buster waders,they are worth buying. I just wore out a pair after 3 years of daily use. I end up replacing normal waders every year or year and a half. I'm still in search of hip boots that will actually last.
There is also a chance that you'd be better served with chest waders or at least the waist high style. Without fail,you'll end up finding water that is to deep for hip waders and you'll be up to your waist before you realize it. If you go with neoprene,stay away from wading shoe styles,pebbles and rocks get into the boots and wear out the sock portion of the wader. Also stay away from felt lugs,you'll end up busting your ass as soon as you leave the water. Whatever you decide on,also get a peet brand boot dryer, moisture inside of hip waders,rot them out as fast as hard use on the outside.

[This message has been edited by RMK (edited 04-11-2002).]

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
my BUDDY bought me a pair of cabelas neoprene bog busters for this past falls hunt. They were GREAT! They are light weight and warm. We got put out in an area where there were dust storms--no kidding. The 1st 8 days I had them rolled down tight to my ankles and wore em like tennis shoes.
Then the last day my buddy does a "breakfast hunt" and shoots a carribou out in a bog that we had been walking around. Then they got rolled up and did what they are supposed to do. I packed alot of meat on this hunt and the ankle support was just fine although we were walking on hard ground almost all the time. I love em--hell I worship them.
I just don't know if the neoprene would hold up going through thickets with thornes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Lacrosse ankle fit for the 10 years I've been here and haven't seen anything better. They are tough and faily comfortable. I have both the hip boots and knee high boots in the ankle fit with air soles(the black rubber with agressive tread). My feet do sweat in them and they are hard to get off, but they are better than cheap boots that fail. Whatever you end up getting, make sure they are ankle fit...a must for walking, especially with a loaded pack. Good Luck.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On most of the Alaska sites, Cabelas Ultimate's with air bob soles a highly recommended. Never used them myself though. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TTS:
On most of the Alaska sites, Cabelas Ultimate's with air bob soles a highly recommended. Never used them myself though. TTS

I think those are the ones I have -- haven't worn them in Alaska but I wore them in a duck blind and marsh and found them very warm, comfortable and easy to get around in.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I think this always comes down to whether or not you can wear the ankle fit waders.

Well, "wear" may be the wrong word, as most folks can "wear" them. It's a matter of getting them on and off, which is the problem.

I tried, but finally gave up. So went the Cabelas "Bog Busters" hip waders...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0005510&navAction=jump

For ankle support, look elsewhere. For great comfort, lightweight, and dry waders, they work great.

------------------
Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Allen,

Man, have I been all over this for the last 2 years, and still guessing. Russell, dont make these things!

So far I have purchased the Bog Busters, I have walked in them and they are ok, but I can see wanting a little stiffer sole, or more foot bed support. They are light. I dont think they will take the brush like rubber. Maybe warmer than rubber.

My best friend, who is also going to the pennisula, has bought the air bobbed sole ultimate ankle fit also from Cabelas. He is a stick figure, and has little problem getting them on and off, these are heavier, but in my view offer better foot support. I have had them on but they dont suit my fat calfs. My pal loves them. They do seem to me that they should take the brush better. Both seem quiet enough, with the rubber, being the loudest of the two when you slap/scrap a small branch.

I have also looked into what I was told was a 5 layer gore tex, these are belt height and hip boot type, with a neoprene booty, and you wear a wadding boot over the booty. The ones I have had on are made by Sims.
These are kinda interesting, because with the wadding boot,and the ankle support gained from it, they feel the best to me of all. They would be loud or louder in the feild than Neo. or rubber. If you go with the belt high, no wet butt. I have heard from more than one source, that gravel guards, might be helpfull in keeping small stones out from between the neo. booty and the wadding boot.

I do like the Sporthill 3SP pants that Pumba, told me about for under these boots. They do need a zipper added, but otherwise I like them.

I'm still searching for the best for me, let me know what you find out.

HBH

posted Hide Post

Allen,
I suggest you Check out "Red Ball" hip boots, while you're at it.
http://www.outdoor-catalog.com/footwear/ankle_fit.htm

I have no idea if these are the "Best" or not but I've used the same pair for 40 years!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
When I went to Alaska in 1999 I was persuaded by the adamant testimonials of Alaskan experts of the necessity of hip boots and in particular the fitted ankle boots.

Let me say that, as a generalization for Alaskan hunting, this is not a requirement in either respect. I have not hunted the coast and I won't speak about what is required there, but having hunted the tundra I found hip boots to be unnecessary and in fact something of a nuisance, in that they are very heavy and will tire you more quickly in terrain that is very tiresome to traverse under the best of circumstances. The only thing that I appreciated about mine was that they permitted me to go on all fours without tearing up the knees of my Gore-Tex pants.

I will carry them if I go back just in case (you never really know about terrain until you arrive) but I would wear my 16 inch L. L. Bean boots in preference in the same terrain. I never saw water more than ankle deep and in any case we avoided walking through obvious bogs because of the danger. My hip boots were loose fitting ordinary duck hunter's boots and I experienced no discomfort in wearing them, though admittedly I wasn't constantly sticking my feet into sucking sand and muck.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Allen, I'm going (sort of) with Harald on this one. I hunted the Kenai in 95' in Lacrosse knee-high rubber boots. Unlike Harald, I like the ankle fit and think there is a deifnate advantage to it. I also got mine with Thinsulate insulation... good idea. They'll not be that much warmer in warm weather, and they'll definately be warmer in cold weather. Either inland or on the Kenai, I didn't find a need for hip boots... I'm not saying you'd never need them in certain area's, but I never found I needed them... they're blasted awkward and a nuisance I'd do without.

IMO,

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Xtratuff, if you can find them they work well. All of them are noisy and don't offer much comfort, but you're dry!
JB

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
I hunt the Kenai Pen. also and use the Xtratuff knee highs. They're not Russell's but, with the felt inner sole, they provide decent support and keep you Xtra dry. Haven't found a need for hippers, except when hunting Steelhead. Nickudu is right on regarding RedBall products. For your Xtratuff products, Call the Katchemak Gearshed in Homer, AK at 1-800-478-8612. If they don't have what you need in Xtratuffs then it can't be had. Good people to do business with, stand behind everything they sell, and ship anywhere.

<Jim Sarafin>
posted
Alaska hunting is not fishing, and I'd stay away from neoprene, which isn't very tough. Brush, Devil's Club, and dead, broken spruce branches will chew up neoprene faster than you can patch it.

You may not need to hunt in hip boots in high country, but a pair does come in handy for getting in and out of float planes or crossing rivers.

I used to buy the ankle-fit, canvas-topped hip boots, but haven't been able to find them recently. The best thing I've found recently is a pair of Lacrosse ankle-fits.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
We make two trips a year to Alaska. A decent pair of hip boots is a must. However I find a pair of plain old heavy rubber type with the canvas ties for ankle size more than enough. that and a good pair of heavy socks. My friends all have the tight ankle fits. At the end of the day my feet are in about the same shape. I dont know about anyone else but I wouldnt consider hunting Alaska without them. Spend a week hunting bear in the constanst rain once or twice and you wont consider regular boots. I always take a pair for when the weather is good but generally wear the hip boots anyway. Or friends up there call them Alaskan sneakers.

------------------
Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since I have a very high instep, ankle fit boots of any kind are strictly a non-event for me. I have recently purchased a pair of the Cabela's Bog Busters like those pictured above. They fit nicely, are light and most importantly for me, easy to get on and off! From past experience, I think they will serve me just fine in S.E. Alaska this spring!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Brown>
posted
I lived in Kodiak before retiring from the Coast Guard. As soon as I got there, everyone pointed me towards the store that sold Red Balls. It was pretty wierd. Everyone that hunted or rode quads or did anything outside used Red Ball hip waders. Everyone. The commercial fishermen used Red Ball or laccross. The Reds are way better for walking. They have canvas on the outside, are REAL tough, and have rubber boots that actually fit quite well. I`ve been on 30 mile treks over a period of 6 days (it will take you 6 days to crawl thru 30 miles of Kodiak Alder brush, 5 foot tall grass, bogs, criks, and mountians). I used them 2 years in Kodiak and 4 down here in the state of Wa before they wore out, and this was at least three times a week in AK. Damn good boots. Don`t let anyone BS you that has not been there in the coastal areas. Talk is cheap. You HAVE to have hip boots. You then carry a long raincoat that hangs 1 foot past the hipwaders. Wear it when it rains and roll it up when its dry. The tall grass NEVER drys out, so you WILL get wet (and cold) without waders.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the LaCrosse ankle fit hip waders. I live in them for a couple weeks in the fall, though most time is spent in canoes, portaging between lakes.

If you wear polypro and socks, they aren't that tough to get off, though it does take some practice. It would be great if they didn't weigh as much, but then they wouldn't be as tough.

As to whether you need hippers or not, it depends on where you are hunting. If you need them, then you really need them. It would be nice to hunt in areas where a std pair of hunting boots is all you need, but that isn't always the case!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Here's another option: During my last spring bear hunt on Kodiak I wore a pair of LaCrosse ankle fit boots, not hip boots, and a pair of Tundra Fleece trousers from Boondocks' Sporting Goods in Eagle River, AK. I carried duct tape and when I needed to go thru water higher than my boots I wrapped tape around the trouser cuffs, sealing them to the boots. My feet never got wet and the boots are a lot easier to get off than hip boots and also a lot more comfortable to wear all day.

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Ankle fit Lacrosse - pretty close to perfect.

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Allen, I have a pair of LECrosse hip boots that are ancle fit. I bought these waders in Aug of 1984, and they have spent 15 days on the tundra, mountains, and boggs of alaska every years since that time except the last two years. They are still in good shape, and do not leak. This LeCrosse hipper is known as the Alaska sneaker, and deserve the name IMO!

PS: What ever you buy, let us know how they worked!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Just a follow up to my post (with the picture of the "Bog Buster Hip Boots")...

Here's a picture of me wearing them black bear hunting last week in S.E. Alaska...

and here's a picture of me wearing XtraTuffs with the bear I shot. (20 10/16th skull, green. 6'10" square estimate so far)

a closer view...

------------------
Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote