THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    One semi-custom or a stock "pair" for NA big game.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One semi-custom or a stock "pair" for NA big game.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thought this would be a fun one for the New Year!

Which would you pick?

One semi-custom? List your cartridge choice and rifle specs.

or

A stock pair of rifles? List what rifles/cartridges you'd choose.

If I had to pick today, I'd choose one semi-custom. The rifle would be my SS Win 70 Classic in 300WM and would sport a factory contour 24-26" Pacnor/Lothar Walther barrel and a swirly McMillan Win 70 Supergrade stock. The Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 would be my pick for optics.

The reason I'd go with one semi-custom 300WM is to ensure that I'd 1) end up with an accurate gun that fit me and 2) be able to accomodate any current/future hunting opportunities that come my way.

How about you?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
A bit outside your limitations but I'm in the process of ridding myself of six stock rifles I generally use to get down to two customs. I currently have two .300 Wbys, a .270 WCF, a 7x57, a .22-250, and used to have a .375 H&H that never saw the field, only the range ( sold that a year ago)

What I'm aiming for is a pair of customs in .270 WCF and .338 Win Mag. Pre-64 M70 actions with 24" medium light contour barrels. Thinking a #1 1/2 or #2 contour for the .270 and a #2 1/2 or #3 contour for the .338. Wood stocked AA to AAA grade wood with modest embellishments like a ebony fore end tip, checkered pistol grip cap, inletted sling studs, and well executed checkering. Just basic's done extreamly well as only a craftsman can do them and then completely sealed against moisture. Leupold Vari-X or VX III scope's, 2.5-8X 36mm will ride atop both rifles. A straight six power in extra rings for a spare shared between the two. This will require detach scope mounts Tally or better ( will actually be Biesen scope mounts ) The two will be as close to identical as the rifle maker can make them except for the extra weight of the .338's barrel and a possible cross bolt on the stock ( not needed on the .270 )

Current plan is to have them made by Roger Biesen. Still saving up for them and I need to locate a '59 to '64 standard magnum action. I already have a 30-06 size doner rifle.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska--I like your thoughts on the semi-it is fairly close to a couple I tote around.

Here is my quick thoughts on this subject--just my thoughts mind you and not intended to be anyone elses.

I'd prefer to go with the semi, and a good back up of a factory. As long as they were both honest rifles I'd hunt the world and never look back!

Now I would not spend the extra money if it came out of my hunting fund. I am not about to put money into a gun that would keep me out of the field if you get my drift. Being out there is way more important than what I carry.

Just my thoughts-have a super day!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
dSmith
I will have the same rifle actions and calibers.I have a pre 64 Mod 70 270 cal w/6x42 leupold.It is factory original.As it shoots moa I will leave it alone.
I am having a pre 64 Mod 70 338wm being built.
24" L/W barrel McMillan Mod 70 G&H camo swirl stock
Tally QD bases/rings. Main scope S&B 6x42 backup Leupold 6x42 Look out moose/elk/bear/bou
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer stock rifles. However I have modified every pre 64 M70 that I hunt with. The game rifles need recoil pads and the varminters need bushing bedding and glass bedding.

Take it on a case by case basis. Sending my rifle to someone else is a turn off for me. Try to improve it yourself first.

It's quite possible to buy a stock gun and take game your entire life with complete satisfaction. However if you keep reading forums or listening to some they will try to intimidate you and also spoil your fun while bragging about how much money they have. Ignore this and aim your rifle well and make sure the screws are tight.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

Generally speaking, for big game hunting in North America, I'd recommend the "pair" of rifles, regardless of custom, semi-custom or "plain jane" stock.

Assuming the "big game" isn't just deer and the "hunt" is a remote/away from home hunt (versus a stroll in the local deer patch) --- going to hunting camp with just one rifle would leave you "a little thin" unless you knew someone who would be there that would share access to a backup rifle. There is too much at stake and too much that can happen rifle-wise not to have a backup plan.

As an example, for elk camp, I take two stock rifles:

** 375 H & H -- Model 70 Super Express/Leupold 4x12 (Main) [my boys took over my two 338WinMags & I'm glad to let 'em have at them!]

** 416 Rigby -- CZ550/Leupold 3.5x10 (Back up)[old, non-magnum cartridge ]

As the camp "ramrod", I also take along a Model 70 in 30-06 for a "camp rifle" and it hangs the whole time in the entry area of the wall tent and has been used by others as a backup when a scope went bad.

I also take along an Ithaca riot gun (12ga with slugs) it hangs in the kitchen area in the event of a bear showing up to an empty camp when my wife is there alone.

When one takes weeks of time away from business and thousands of $$$ are at play, then IMHO it pays to have a contingency plan to make the trip count!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any reasons to own two hunting rifles for all North America game, since I can do it all with one gun in .338WM in Alaska, of course. The smallest Alaska game (not fur bearer) is deer, and the largest moose, bison, elk and such.

But I imagine that a .270 and a .338WM would make an excellent Alaska combo for all the hunting I do, or perhaps a .338WM and one of the .416's as a step up. The .338 would still be for most of my hunting.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote