New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easiest Place to get Pronghorn Tags?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a easy place to get proinghorm tags for next Fall.I would think it would be Montana or Wyoming.Which state and what part of the state is best place to get a pronghorn?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
WY apps had to be postmarked today should you want to hunt this year. There are almost always units that have leftover tags in that state, so I'd check those out if you want to hunt. However, be realistic that you may not be able to shoot a MONSTER antelope.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're talking "easiest to obtain a permit through a draw" then others will have to chime in. Not to mention timing as you may be too late for several states. That said, the density seems to be highest in Wyoming where as trophy size gets better toward Arizona and New Mexico.

If it's "easiest through outfitters, etc., along with best possible trophy size" then you may want to look at options in New Mexico. The state has a good reputation for trophy size and they give a slough of permits to landowners that can then resell. Outfitters should be able to help you in this area. For $2000 I would think you could get onto a ranch in New Mexico with track records up to and over 17.5 inches.

I've been close to "pulling the trigger" on one of these New Mexico hunts but never have. Nonetheless, that was about the price range I was finding over the last couple of years.

Good luck!

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

If you book an antelope hunt with us in Wyoming you are virtually assured of a tag. $2000.00 for the hunt, private land with limited hunters, expectations should be a good representative goat between 14.5-15.5'.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can get an antelope tag over the counter in Colorado. There are always leftover tags for antelope in Wyoming and the drawing is in March. Areas often are on private land but Game and fish there has landowner lists and tresspass fees are cheap like 150 dollars.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two buddies and I got leftover tags in unit 26, Wyoming last year..There are always leftover tags there because most of it is private land....

We got a guided hunt on private land for $1150 each...We saw 1000s of goats and each got an average sized buck from 13-14".. We were the only hunters on 36,000 acres.. After we filled our antelope tags we went back on our own ( with permission, of course) and shot prairie dogs..It was a real fun hunt...

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We have several locations to hunt Pronghorn from New Mexico to Wyoming. Some are on a draw basis and others are landowner tags. If you book a hunt for next year now, I can reserve this years hunting price. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This past week or so my brother and I booked an antelope hunt through Cabela's with a well known outfit in nw Colorado, out of Craig (Elkhorn Outfitters, Inc.). This is a 3 day private land hunt using some type of state-sponsered land-owner tags (no dawing). Normally you have to draw antelope tags in Colorado. All or most of the 2 day hunts in New Mexico were taken when I was trying to book a hunt. I did not try and book a hunt using other sources, so you may be able to still find a place to hunt in New Mexico. I am looking forward to my hunt.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote