New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Elk & Bear
 Login/Join

<whisler>
posted
Has anyone hunted Colorado for Elk and Bear. Hopefully 2 of us are going next year, I am more interested in Bear and my hunting partner in Elk. Is the 2nd rifle season a good time for both? What's the best part of the state for this? Would appreciate your input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whisler,

2nd rifle season has been warm here lately which can make the Elk hunting hard. If you go much later then the Bear could be in their dens. Could be easier to hunt Bear over a gut pile (we are not allowed to bait) in 2nd rifle.... Kind of a hard decision unless you have a way of getting up high and away from the masses for 2nd rifle season. Lots of Elk and Bears in this state so finding good habitat should not be too hard.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<whisler>
posted
Thanks for the info Deke. We are looking at several outfitters who have drop camps with one guide to the camp. I have hunted (unsuccessfully due to weather, snowed in spring, very dry in fall) northern Montana for Bear but 2 hunts does not make a bear hunter. Hunting partner is wanting to hunt elk so we thought we would try a combo type hunt.

posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deke:

2nd rifle season has been warm here lately which can make the Elk hunting hard.

That's an understatement! I've just returned from the first three days of the 2nd Colorado season, and I've been on the same place in July when it was cooler! We saw few elk, but lots of mule deer (which is encouraging since muleys have been on the decline for the last two decades or so).

On the other hand, I've done the same area during early October a couple of times before and had to fight ice and snow. You just never know.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Stonecreek ----- Where did you hunt, I am going to hunt the 4th season near Craig. I just wondered if you were close. Any report is appreciated. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley:
Stonecreek ----- Where did you hunt, I am going to hunt the 4th season near Craig. I just wondered if you were close. Any report is appreciated. [Wink] Good shooting.

Nope, different part of the state -- unit 81 on the south border next to NM. Craig is a whole lot different and it could be knee-deep snow there by the time the fourth season rolls around.

The best news is that the immediate area I was in had caught some badly needed rainfall during the year and the grass was outstanding.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Yeah you are right, very warm, and very hard elk hunting. If you had horses to pack them out with you would head as high as possible where others are filling their tags. I am on the "young family" budget and rely on legwork. I hunted yesterday (last day of 2nd rifle) and moved some animals in the timber, but could not get a shot. Lots of muleys though. Got some good snow forcasted for this Thursday and Friday so the 3rd season might be good since I know there are lots of animals out there.

Phurley,

I would not worry too much about lack of snow in 4th season. I hunted north of Craig in mid-December last year and had just the right amount of snow. We will almost definately get snow between now and then. The temperatures will be cold enough to keep it and the Elk should come down out of the high country.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I outfit around Trindad. We do better on elk and bear the first draw season. The elk have not been shot at with a rifle. The bear are usually in acorns are juniper berries. We only take 4 hunters that week and we took 3 bulls and 2 bears. We could have filled all four out on bear we saw 12 the first 3 days. We also turned several rag horns down. We took 2 6x6s and one 6x7.

Posts: 22 | Location: Model, Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote