Find
Notify
Tools

CWD in Ohio captive deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
HHeym, some jurisdictions have been cracking down on the shipment of live deer over the past few years, i.e. requiring health permits, both within state and crossing state lines.

Are there individuals skirting the law? How many of us actually drive the posted speed limit?

I know that you are incapable of believing it, but much of what you say about the status of Deer Hunting in America in this day and time, I actually DO AGREE with, but it is what it is, a multi-billion dollar industry and that is not going to change.

I grew up and started deer hunting when ANY BUCK a person killed was a TROPHY, and was earned. I miss those days, but like so many folks, and it will catch up to you at some point in time, but many of us can no longer walk all day and if we managge to kill a deer are no longer able to drag it a half mile or mile.

Just answer this, what are older hunters, the disabled or handicapped supposed to do? Not even think about hunting?

What about the 10 and 12 year olds that are physically unable to drag a deer of any size or are in a position where no one is able to take them out in the field enough so they can learn how to hunt?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey CHC! Was that last post of yours trying to justify high fence game farms?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No!

I hate that things have evolved the way they have, do YOU have a suggestion on how to turn things around???????

If so, please share it with the rest of us.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st CWD confirmatory in Mississippi. The source a free tange buck in Issaquena County.

Supplement feeding has been banned the county Andy five other surrounding ounties. Maybe the State should not have allowed feeding to begin with.

Crazyhorese I do believe you and I agree more than we disagree. I have always been in favor of reasonable accommodations to support/vacillate the enjoyment of hunting by the physically impaired.

For example I have no issue with allowing handicap or senior hunters to access hunting units or land by vehicle, turning the engine off, and using the vehicle as a blind. But that is different then riding down a deer on a 4wheeler.

I do drive the speed limit. That is what cruise control is for. I say this only as a laugh because by driving the speed limit my V8 gets 20 plus mpg.

If any 10 year old within 3 counties kill a deer and has no one to drag it out please call me. I have in the past and will gladly do again.

Posts: 11382 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We probably do agree more than we disagree.

Unfortunately because of a whole long list of differences between individual hunters and the locations they hunt, I simply cannot see there ever being a "One Size Fits All/Blanket" hunting regulations for the whole country or the world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
No!

I hate that things have evolved the way they have, do YOU have a suggestion on how to turn things around???????

If so, please share it with the rest of us.

I wish I did Randall, but there is so much money involved in these damn game farms now that I don't believe that anything will change for the good any time soon. If I were King for a day and had my way, there would never have been a single game farm allowed anywhere in this country. IMHO wild animals should have never been captured and domesticated and that is essentially what has happened now. The animals lose their fear of man in these small facilities when they are released for hunting, diseases like CWD are more easily spread when animals are concentrated in those small enclosures, and it's just not fair chase when an animal doesn't have the same chance at escape compared to living in an unfenced area. I'm not talking about big high fenced ranches like there are in Texas where the animal really has free roaming capabilities and has no concept that the fence is even there. I don't consider those game farms, but I know many, including a lot of hunters that have never hunted one, consider them like game farms, which sure isn't correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope this will not start a Capstick bashing thread, but he made a comment about hunting in Africa that honestly applies to hunting here in America.

I cannot quote him verbatum, but in essence as long as wildlife belongs to the Public, they can take the ability to hunt it away from us!

As far as Texas is concerned, the wildlife living in Texas belongs to ALL of the citizens of the state, but lives on primarily Private Land.

That isn't the case in other states, especially those with large tracts of Public Land. The Public can make a case that hunters are killing animals that are basically owned by the Public, whether the land is owned and managed by the state or by the Federal Government.