New
Find
Notify
Tools

fogging up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do I keep my glasses, scope, and bino's from fogging up. This has always been a problem for me here in Texas. I was drawn for an elk hunt in Wyoming, and I don't want it happening up there.

Willie B

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem up here, and I'm also looking for a fix.

I just copied these two items from a post on another forum on this subject, and will give them a try.

http://www.parkersperfect.com/intro_frameset.htm

Birchwood Casey sells an anti-fog scope cleaner; I used their wipes and they worked fine for a northern Michigan hunt with light rain and snow.(This was posted by another guy from Michigan, not me.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about your glasses but as far as scopes and binocs go,just buy Bushnell Elites or Simmons! Just kidding or maybe not. I've got a 2x7 Simmons MS Prohunter scope on a .25-06 Win 70. Nice scope for the money and their rain/fog repellent on the lenses WORKS. My point is if Simmons(and Bushnell)can treat their lenses against moisture on the outside,why can't the others? Leupold wants a bundle for seperate lenses to do it! I just bought a new VXlll 1.75-6x32 and may have no choice. Right now I've got BC covers on it. As far as treatments go,the threads I've read tell you they can hurt lense coatings. Anyone know for sure?

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Artic Cat windshield anti-fog. Other helmet anti-fogs should work. Works for me.

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GLASSES: Get into better shape or get Lasik. How do you fog up sitting in a stand watchin Ye Ol Feeder? Smiler

Scope/Binos: Not to be too much of a smart aleck, but STOP BREATHING ON THEM. That should take care of 80%. To avoid the other 20% you need to keep them from going from one temperature to another. For example, do not keep them under your coat then pull them out in the cold. Same for you scope. Otherwise you could try the various snake oils, but they are not necessary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As has been said don't breathe on them.
Binos with more open eye cups fog less as they get better ventilation
Keep a bit of tissue or rag immediately handy and don't be afraid just to use your gloved finger if that trophy is walking away from you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rain-X Anti Fog. This is the stuff. I wear glasses and it the only thing that even comes close to working every time. Works on scopes too.

A serious sugestion from years of experience:#1 most important, hunting in cold climates leave your scoped rifle and binocular outside the tent or where ever you are sleeping (this area will be warm and moist).I lock mine in the truck at night if I'm staying in my trailer or hang it on a tree with a bit of plastic loosely wrapped around it if in a tent.

If you have extra glasses you might want to do the same with the specks. In the morning before you venture out into the cold apply the Rain-X Anti-Fog. Even that won't work everytime if you keep going back and forth from freezing bloody cold to warm and moist. Also, keep the heater off or as low as possible in the vechile you might be using.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Steer clear of the one that looks like a Dristan bottle. It works well but in the early morning if you use decongestant and you grab the wrong one look out!!!

I have done this and it will hurt the old sniffer, Damn near went to the Doctor it hurt so bad for about an hour.

cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old regular shaving cream works pretty well. Otherwise go with something like the Rain-X. I ended up getting contacts just for hunting because of the fogging problem. With my eyes being as bad as they are, it took 40 years before they could come up with contacts for my eyes.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than hunting in 100 percent humidity in Alaska, the worst fogging I have found on my glasses is from cross-country skiing when it is below zero. My solution is to stay a little bit cold - in particular keep enough ventilation around my face.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally would not use something like Rain-X on my expensive scopes and binox.
And, you guys are dreaming of you think it's possible to avoid lenses from fogging up while hunting. Certainly it's appropriate to be careful to avoid breathing on or near your lenses, but that's not always possible.
Get the right anti fogging stuff from an optics house.

Don

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The problem is not only breathing on lenses but your body also emits heat and moisture that will cause lenses to fog even if one is not breathing on them. Heated eyeglass lenses would help but is not a practical or even available solution as far as I know. I too switched to contacts just for hunting, but also use Parker's Perfect for an everyday anti-fog solution for my glasses. Rain-X will destroy any optical coatings you have on your eyeglasses or other fine optics.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote