Find
Notify
Tools

What do you pack before the hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
Well, it is my favorite time of year again. Friday afternoon I get to head back west toward my native Nebraska for the opening day of firearm season. As I was packing and rechecking my gear, I had to laugh about all the gear I was throwing into the ready sack.

4 deer sized game bags.
Bottle of doe esterus and lures.
Two bowie style knives (one for my Dad to use).
A harness and rope to help drag out the deer.
Three blaze orange pounchos (to mark the deer if we need to go get more help).
Three face masks, one of which is insulated.
Blaze orange vest, hat, and gloves.
Cover scent for my boots.
100' of good nylon rope (just in case).
Small LED flashlight for finding my way to the stand.
Large Maglite to find my friend when he can't find his way home from his stand.
Game cart (stowed in the truck) for when one of us shoots a deer so d#$n down the river that it will take a few days to drag the thing out.

A leg holster for my .45.
And of course my trusty Savage .308 that has been checked, cleaned, and oiled.

Obviously, not all of this is following me out to the stand. But getting my hunting pack together is kind of the first lead up to deer season for me. What do you all pack before hand that gets you thinking of the hunt?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Gun
Bullets
Binos
Knife
Diamond stone
gut gloves
gun case
plenty of clothes
SAW soap
SAW Spray
doe estrus
rattle bag
grunt call
flashlight
batteries
gps
toothpaste & brush
deo.
towels
unscented baby wipes
weather radio
shooting sticks
orange vest&cap
gambrel(break down w/ 4 roller hoist)
ice chest
hunting mags
lighters
food
drinks
medicines (just in case)
First aid
sleeping bags
camera(& extra batteries)
money
more clothes (plain and hunting)
pillow
misc camping gear
Deer stands(if needed)
and the list goes on...

Sometimes I wonder How I get it all in the back seat of my pickup Big Grin

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE Jack--where abouts are you headed--I grew up outside of Omaha in a po-dunk place called King's Lake, but I hunted outside of Purdum and Broken Bow with my dad a few times when I was growing up---going to have to go back someday and hunt with my brother--anyway good luck---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see Reloader's list as I'm on his page--seems one just can't have enuff stuff and I think back when it was just a fanny pack(if that), rifle, ammo, sleeping bag, clothes, some grub, canteen and car crap--chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
A little town called Hooper, 20 miles north of Fremont.

My wife's uncle has some land by the Elkhorn river, that is pretty much just good for hunting and fishing.

Been to King Lake a time or two.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i star by packing 10 times to much stuff, then just before i leave i take out about half of it leaving me with only 5 times too much stuff

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote