THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunt Report - 2022 Alberta Black Bear (Pics Added)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Report - 2022 Alberta Black Bear (Pics Added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dates: 05/01/22 - 05/07/22
Booked through Arjun Reddy, Hunters Networks

What a great week. Booked this hunt in early 2020 from Arjun's post on AR for a Spring 2021 trip, but due to Covid lockdowns and the US/Canadian border closure I wasn't able to make it until 2022.

Started the trip in Houston, TX and flew to Calgary, then a dual prop got me to Grande Prairie. Flew United/Air Canada both ways with firearms and trophy without an issue. Customs into Canada was a breeze and the agents were very courteous and welcoming. Firearms processing was also seamless (brought along the trusty 338 Federal and 200gr Federal Copper loads).

Overnighted at a hotel in Grande Prairie and was picked up the morning of the 1st by my guide, Cam, along with the 3 other hunters that were in camp that week. The 4 of us purchased our licenses at one of the local stores, where the worker grumbled about the ongoing Covid restrictions in Canada and appreciated seeing Americans again, and then we made a short hour fifteen drive to camp.

The owner, Blake, is serious about hunting big bears, and has exclusive hunting rights from the government to his area of the bush. Blake runs 100+ baits continually and was dutiful to have the guides/helpers check cameras around their routes to put hunters in the right place throughout the week. He runs his camp with a mind to manage the herd, and presses upon the hunters to only shoot "above the barrel" bears and ensure the young ones are given time to mature. I'll mention that before the hunt, Blake asked all of us if we would like to delay our trip due a better likelihood of seeing big bears in the warmer weeks to come, given the late April snow they received. For the four of us, this week in May was the only one that fit within our life schedules, so we all came with that expectation in mind. That being said, we hunted on the evening of our arrival and probably saw 15 bears between the four of us that first day alone.

Hunting occurred over bait from solidly-built wooden ground blinds and wooden tree platforms, as well as ratchet-strap double seater tree stands. Between the four of us, the group took 5 respectable bears, with 3 7-footers weighing 325 lbs+.

Accommodations for the group were three comfortable cabins and a separate wash house with almost on-demand hot water, which was a blessing given the unseasonably cooler temps while we were there. The separate lodge, where we shot the bull and ate meals, was recently renovated in 2020 and is covered with many outstanding trophies that Blake has hunted or guided over his life. Blake's wife, Farron, cooked many wonderful meals and had warm, scratch deserts waiting for us each night when we returned from the stands. Blake, Farron, the guides, and the helpers were all extremely friendly, professional, and experienced, and I enjoyed getting to know each of them over the week.

The return trip home was just as easy as the trip there. After we shot our bears and they were skinned out, the crew bagged each one with the tag easily visible/accessible and placed them in a chest freezer to be frozen for the return trip. You actually go through US Customs inside the Calgary airport, where a short USFW form is completed to document the hunted animal hide/trophy that you are bringing back as well as a check of the CBP 4457. One important note - if you travel back with a raw, unfinished black bear hide from Canada to the US, there is no need for a CITES permit. You can literally check a duffel bag with everything at the gate and pick it up in the US as if it were any other luggage, then drop it off at your local taxidermist.

In summary, I had a great time, harvested an outstanding Alberta Black Bear, made some good friends, and look forward to returning one day.

A huge, old sow I watched on the first day:

Sow and triplet cubs I watched for a few days:

One of the tree platforms I hunted from during the week. Beautiful, big evergreens in this area:

One of the big old bruins we were chasing:

Hunted all week and was very proud to take this bear on the last day. Was glad I brought lots of layers and rain gear!

Enjoying an "Old Style" beer in the lodge:

The crew staying busy in the skinning shed:

Posts: 157 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun time.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Me and my friend hunted with Blake the following week
and unfortunately struck out.

That’s a great bear!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks P Dog and Jason

Sorry to hear that Jason, it was just starting to warm up and then it dropped another snow as we were leaving and you guys were coming in! Hope you both had a good time in spite of the weather and the slow down in action.

Posts: 157 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote