New
Find
Notify
Tools

duct taped wounds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good story.

I always have a first-aid kit with me in a ZipLock bag. I have medical tape, different kinds of bandages, lots dressing material, wound cleaner, and a few "sanitary pads" such as the ones made by Tampax. One can place one of these clean pads over a wound, then tape over with medical tape. Learned that from a doctor in town.

So the guy didn't have time to react fast enough? That's very common during bear attacks. On a charge at close range, very few people are lucky enough to understand what is happening before the bear is on top of them.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sanitary pads? They seem kinda bulky (wide open here lads, commence firingSmiler). Why not just an ordinary compression-type bandage?

A good friend of mine told me before my first bear hunt (SE Alaska) that if he remembered, he's bring tampons on our hunt.

Me: "Tampons? For what?"

Him: "They make great bullet wound corks"

Me: "Gulp!" [Smile]

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
lhonda,

You might use the Light Days pads. They shouldn't bind up on you as much. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray, Alaska:
Good story.

I always have a first-aid kit with me in a ZipLock bag. I have medical tape, different kinds of bandages, lots dressing material, wound cleaner, and a few "sanitary pads" such as the ones made by Tampax. One can place one of these clean pads over a wound, then tape over with medical tape. Learned that from a doctor in town.

So the guy didn't have time to react fast enough? That's very common during bear attacks. On a charge at close range, very few people are lucky enough to understand what is happening before the bear is on top of them.

All joking aside that is one thing they taught us when I became an EMT. They are clean and make good emergency bandages. Never used duct tape on a wound though.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help, WyoJoe.

The thin pads are individually sealed, and stay clean much like bandages or dressing. I thought is was funny when the Doctor told me about it, but it makes lots of sense since such pads can do a good job on open wounds such as the ones inflicted by bears. They are cheap, too, and the wife can buy them for us.

Ah...another funny thing: Toilet paper. Up here it rains a lot during moose season, so we put a roll of toilet paper in a Ziplock bag to keep it dry. But the best toilet paper when raining is paper towel (Charming, Brawny, etc.). Funny? Yes, but those who hunt here understand what I am talking about.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
The best toliet paper is baby wipes!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw this story on the crawl on CNN last night. I just looked at my wife and grinned. You can make do with alot of things in a pinch. One time I was in the middle of nowhere and laid myself open good. Nothing exciting, I was just being a clutz with a saw. Anyway I ended up sewing myself up with fishing line and a straightened hook until I could get back to the nearest town. I must admit I like the ductape idea better. Ever since this time I always have sutures in my kit.

My brother in law has used super glue effectivley on smaller wounds.

[ 09-29-2003, 04:23: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote