New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liteweight rilfe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello All, I'm in search of a nice liteweight rifle to use for those days I feal like covering a lot of ground, or for when we get together and do some drives. My primary rifle is a 7mm Mag. I love this caliber, but the gun its-self can get pretty heavy when walking a great deal.

I would like to keep the weight no more then 6.5lbs but stay with a 22in. Barrel. and in a short action Caliber (7mm-08, 308, 270wsm) I would like to stay at a .277 and above. I really like the ballistics of the 270wsm and would prob. choose that caliber. The gun will be used for mainly Deer and Bear in Pennsylvania, and a back-up elk rifle.

I like Remingtons, so I have been looking hard at the LSS mountain Rifle, but they do not make this in the WSM's as of yet... Other choices I looked at is the Browning Micro hunter, and the Tikka T3 light SS. The Remington model 7 is out. I wish to stay with a 22in Barrel. The Remington Titanium would be excellant, but a little to much for this college student at this point. I really havent heard much about the tikka T3's yet. I work at the local hunting store, and we havent really sold to many. As of now im leaning to the Mt. Rifle in 7mm-08 with Nikon 2-7x32. I never held the new T3's, but if get some good reviews i just may get one in a 270WSM.

I'm just looking for opinions. If you have an idea of another brand, or type please share. Also a little help with caliber selection would be nice too. Thanx guys for the help.
Ryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/fi_700tul.htm

Check this rifle out. 7mm-08 would be my choice, unless I could have it re-chambered in .300SAUM.

At just over 5lb it's sure handy, I've played with one and liked they way it handled better than the Seven.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
RDNeck,

Perhaps you should consider a wider range of rifles. Some European options exist such as the single-shot stalking rifles. For example, here is the 2.45 Kg/5.4 pound Merkel version.

http://www.gsifirearms.com/gsif/prod_detail.asp?prod_id=42

Steyr's Ultra Light is selling in Europe, and will be in North America in '04. This is a 2.7 Kg/5.94 pound rifle

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=99

My personal "fave" is the .308 Win: it is a go-anywhere, shoot anything rifle cartridge with ammo common. None of the WSMs offer that virtue, and seem to me to be the antithesis of light weight.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't dismiss the Model 7 that quickly. The new magnum models come in 7mm or 300 SUAM with a 22" barrel and should do everything you asked for in a pretty light package. That being said, I have the Mountain Rifle in 30'06 and wouldn't hesitate to use it for anything I'll ever hunt. Good luck,

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby Ultra Lt Weight in .280 Rem that fills the bill for me. VERY accurate, 24" barrel. With a lt wt Leupold scope , nylon sling and ammo its just a tad under 7 pounds.

CDNN Innvestments has them right now for $899.

My other thought would be one of the new Kimber lt wt rifles in 7mm-08.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If money's an issue the tried and true Savage comes in the Sierra model which is light and comes in calibers you like. CDNN also has Colt Light Rifles for $399 but I think 30-06 is all that's left. Good rifle, though. All the others above are as good or better, IMHO, but you said money counted...

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The T3 uses standard clibre length actions. No short action. Still you could get the 270WSM at under 7lbs with a 24" barrel. You could go with the 270W, 7mm-08, 308 ect. at 6.5lbs and a 22 barrel.

If you wan't to stay as light a possible with a Rem, don't go with laminated. Heavier than sythetic.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...CDNN also has Colt Light Rifles for $399 but I think 30-06 is all that's left. Good rifle, though...

Do not buy the Colt Light Rifle at any price, unless you are a collector. Even CDNN prints in their ad, "Great For Colt Collector".

It is utter complete garbage. Not to be confused with the original Melvin Forbes Ultra Light Rifle. A few years ago, Forbes figured he would cash out of his successful business and sold the rights to Colt. They completely screwed up his design and it has been the subject of recall by Colt. It is inaccurate, unreliable and unsafe.

Forbes himself in a recent magazine article lamented his decision to sell the rights to Colt, and has reorganized his company under the new name of New Ultra Light Rifles. He is back in business making his fine guns.

The Colt Ultra Light is NOT one of them. It is UAW crap. Colt has discontinued making them. Colt should discontinue making all guns and sell the name and rights to a new firm, but that is another stroy.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Redneck, I think you should look at the Kimber 84M in 7-08. You have the choice between stainless synthetic and blue/walnut. Both about 5.5 lbs or less with a 22" barrel. I have a classic in 7-08 with a Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8 and I love. IMHO,fit and finish is far superior than Rem, Win, Ruger, etc. Comes with CRF, air gauge barrel and pillar/glass bedded. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short on cash but want the high-tech low-weight big-$$$$ WSM guns? A seemingly impossible problem...

NOW SOLVED !!!!!

Savage Model 110FXP, .270 WSM, with Simmons scope. mounts, sling and hard case - $350.00 at Gunsamerica

One pair 30 lb dumbells - $25.20 at Megafitness

Total cost of Savage hunting rifle and dumbells - $375.20

Total weight of Savage hunting rifle without dumbells - 7.75 lbs.

Total cost of similar Remington 700 Ti - $1075.20

Total weight of similar Remington 700 TI - 6.5 lbs.

Workout with dumbells 5x per week for 1 month: bicep curls, shoulder shrugs, tricep extensions.

After 1 month of dumbell training total apparent weight of Savage hunting rifle - 6.5 lbs.

YOUR SAVINGS = $700.00 !

Voila !

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure who said it but it's something along theese lines ." Instead of spending more and more money on ultralight rifles , to save a pound or two , why not buy fewer donut's and shed the pounds off your guts ". I'm sure there are probably some of us who should be carring a 20lb rifle simply for the workout .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
kuduking, regarding the Colts. I know a run of 30-06 was recalled but I can say from a sample of 14 different Colt Light Rifles currently owned by me and other people I know and see regularly (most of us bought one standard and one mag caliber)that these have been satisfactory and most of them shoot MOA or better. The only things we don't like are the flex in the forend and we have found several means of addressing that plus the bolt handle will hit some scopes and you have to select carefully.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go handle a T-3 Tikka, you'll not leave the store without it!!! Accuracy is a given, never seen one that wasn't deadly!!

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redneck,
I own Mountain rifles in 260, 270, and 30-06. I think they're great. The Kimber is a nice rifle, but probably out of your price range. It's cost is pushing the Titanium. The T3 is a nice rifle too. A little heavier. They use one action legnth, I imagine to save cost. The Model 7 in 7 SAUM should give you velocities close to what you're getting in your Mag. It does have a 22 inch barrel. Good luck. Much of the "fun" is selecting a rifle in the first place.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Not too sure why you won't go below 277 bore, but whatever. 7mm-08 in the a 700 Mt. rifle or Kimber 84. Don't bother with a magnum, especially in something so light. I'd choose the 260 myself. 2-7x Nikon is a good scope choice - I've had quite a few of them over the past 10 years or so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my weatherby lightwieght synthethic. It is easier to carry. The sling is one of those neoprene one that has been the best sling for carring I have found for any rifle. With this combo it feels light than my Super Redhawk, scoped in a shoulder holster. This gun has made me keep my other in the case when I go hunting. You can go with the Ultra light wieght if needed for the extra 3/4 lb weight saving. My gun is light than alot of short action, short barrel guns. You can get the 30/06 size action in the smaller gun and they have a magnum length action too.

I have shot alot of A bolt and they are fine rifles if you want to go to the WSM mag calibers. I haven't shot one of those but the other I have handled have been tack drivers.

Good Luck

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KuduKing, my Remington Titanium orginally purchased in 7mm-08 and rechambered to .284 is topped with a Luepold 2.5-8 using Talley rings. My scale shows the total weight to be 5.975 pounds. I'm into mine for $1200 total. The scope was purchased used. There is no doubt in my mine that for the money it is the best option at that price.

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boise:

Are we related? I recently bought a 700 Ti in .308 and put a Leupold 2.5-8x on it. Probably one of the two ro three best rifles I've ever owned (out of many many more than I care to remember spending my money on). I'm getting 2900 fps with a 150 gr bullet and 1/2 MOA accuracy. Little to no barrel fouling. I like the blind magazine. Shoots very well from field postions as well. An excellent rifle!

But the Topic Starter stated he didn't have the money for that rifle. Hence, the dumbells.