THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Elk Hunt this fall Craig, Co. Need information

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunt this fall Craig, Co. Need information
 Login/Join

posted
Four of us are hunting at the Seely Ranch south and east of Craig/Hamilton near the Williams Fork River. Its privately owned/guided hunt. I understand its about 1/2 hour from Craig. We will be their the second week of Elk season, also we all drew a mule deer tag.

Could someone tell me what to expect in that area and how big the bulls are and how good the hunting is on Elk and Mule Deer. Thanks allot.

dbuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting antelope with Elkhorn Outtfitters in Craig last week...after shooting our goats we spent the next two days looking at their elk hunting camps...the entire area is crawling with elk, mule deer, and antelope. The deer are still in velvet and some of the bigger bull elk are just out of velvet. From what I saw and from what I was told by people I trust, you should expect to see plenty of decent but modest 5x5 bull elk. The area is not known for huge (320-350 or greater) bull elk, but on private land I bet you you will have an excellent chance at a decent 5x5, 4x5, or 5x6....of course there is always the chance that monster 6x6 will walk out in front of you. Lots of deer and elk though. When area you going? Good luck.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed this rag horn on the first week of November in 1989 on Roger Seeley�s claim, which was about 30 miles southeast of Craig. I hunted this area for several years, and I always filled my tags, both deer and elk. This country had comparatively long shooting for a guy like me that usually chases elk in the fir jungles of Idaho and Montana, but it holds a lot of game. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but why are you paying a trespass fee if you're hunting on BLM land? You shouldn't be. It's public property.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the reply's, I'm really looking forward to going and I hope I get both my Elk and Mule Deer. I didn't think I would be hunting trophy Elk, but I want a nice one to mount. I will be using my Weatherby 30-06 using Barnes 168 Triple Shock with a muzzle velocity of 2970 and at 200 yards she shoots 1.250 groups (4 shots). I shoot long range allot and I understand out their that the shots go up to 300 yards, is that true. Thats not a problem with me since I shoot Service Rifle Completion at Camp Perry and I'm used to shooting at 600 yards open sights, again thanks allot for the information.

dbuck