Find
Notify
Tools

Montana magazine limitations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys...
Hopefully there's someone from MT in here that knows---Is there a limitation on magazine capacity here in Montana? I've read the regulations, but the only restrictions I saw were for muzzleloaders and archery sights. Anybody have a clue?

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will let You use a .22 Hornet on elk so doubt if there is a mag restriction.

As I never use a 30 rd magged, semi auto it's a problem that has never come up. You can call the FWP HQ in Helena or any of the Regional Offices and ask to talk to a Warden.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a mag restriction. I believe that it's 5 or 6 total that can be held in the rifle. 4 if I recall in a shotgun.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:
Yes there is a mag restriction. I believe that it's 5 or 6 total that can be held in the rifle. 4 if I recall in a shotgun.

If you have a reference for that, I'd like to see it. I was planning to use my Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag to hunt deer. I think it holds 10 or 11 rounds.

I looked - all I could find was the 3 round restriction for shotguns when used for hunting waterfowl.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that confuses me...I was never able to find a reference, and I know that some lever rifles with the magazine tube that extends all the way to the muzzle holds a LOT more than 5.

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! I just got off the phone with Ron/Rod(?) of the enforcement division of MT FWP (thanks for the phone number, horse)...and OFFICIALLY, there is NO magazine capacity limitations for RIFLES--also on a side note, illuminated reticle scopes are allowed as well, as long as they don't PROJECT light (was just another curious question of mine)...I was curious whether or not a rifle such as an M1 Garand or M1A springfield could be used...so my curiosity is appeased--but with this information please remember to use whatever caliber you should to HUMANELY dispatch an animal within the caliber's effective range (in regards to using something like an AR15 in a .223 or SKS in 7.62x39, etc.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that info and setting the record straight. My levergun and I will hunt together in confidence. Big Grin

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank's for clarifying. Must've been something I learned in hunter's safty 30 years ago some such.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote