New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A black bear attacks to campers in Rocky Mt. National park. Sounds like they did every thing right hanging there food none in there tents. Seems like the bear just wanted some fresh meat. National parks are a unarmed campers food zone for bears. Dosen't sound like they had pepper spray.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
P Dog

Do you have a hyperlink to that story?

How about it, anyone have a good track of Black bear attacks . . . I need it if someone has some links. black bears only, don't need grizzly reports.
Thanx!

LouisB

[ 07-15-2003, 17:21: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found it on freerepublic.com

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~1512748,00.html

"I was awakened by a bear taking a bite out of my head. It hurt, but I didn't know what was happening for a few seconds. I was bleeding extensively and started screaming, 'There's a bear!"

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A black bear mauled an 18-year old boy in Utah last week. I don't have the URL, but I read the story. In that case, about 15 kids and five instructors were rafting down a river, and stopped near the shore to sleep overnight. They were not using tents, and slept in their sleeping bags (in the open). The bear bit the kid on the face (I believe) and neck. He was treated at the hospital, then released. He got a few lacerations.

We just had a bear mauling by the Russian River (in Alaska), but it was a brown bear. Here is the story for those interested:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/3464085p-3495080c.html

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
That kid that was attacked in Utah had an open bag of Fritos in his sleeping bag and was wearing headphones when attacked. What an Idiot! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camping unarmed in bear country is stupid, although the tourists do it all the time in Glacier Nat'l Park here. They also get mauled, and ate.

When the rangers see a local license plate, they KNOW the person is armed, and make no stink about it. Pepper spray isn't worth a damn in the high winds we get, unless you can convince the bear to attack from down wind.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pepper spray on bears is like any anti-personal spray on humans. There is always a certain amount of the population that it isn't going to work on. Ask any LEO if they have ever seen MACE or pepper spray fail? I have, many times. If a person(or a bear) is jacked up on some drug(adrenalin is a drug) then a spray will most likely NOT have any effect. In fact tests are showing that bears are attracted to pepper spray and it also excites them to the point of tearing up the area where it’s sprayed.
Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote