New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Overpopulation
 Login/Join

<Mike Anderson>
posted
This seems to be a common problem these days. I'm talking for the southern part of the US, the whitetail deer.

I have seen as many as 50 whitetails in one afternoon on the farm where I hunt. That wasn't even looking hard.

These deer need to be reduced in population, most hunters only want the giant racks, which is understandable, but is it going to cause an abundance of deer due to the fact that areas are covered with small bucks and does.

In the south there becomes a no-limit situation on the number of deer you can kill for usually at least a couple of weeks. This is done for a reason, however, most hunters can't deal with that volume of meat and I won't leave it laying. So the population continues up. I've even tried to give meat to charity, I've never found anybody interested. Its a shame during holidays that a soup kitchen couldn't feed some needy folks with deer meat.

Regards,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania has a program where you can donate your deer to the local food bank, but of course, they want you to also donate $30 for processing the animal. Normally I'll eat four or more deer a year myself, so I've never donated.

I agree, the meat and hides should never go to waste. It's a shame that the venison you buy in your finer restaurants comes from New Zealand while our states are so overpopulated with deer. [Confused]

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Ohio it is 1 antlered deer and depending on where in the state you are hunting from 1 to 3 non-antlered deer with suburban permits also avaliable.
We have a definate problem in the south-eastern portion of the state.

Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
here in sc where i live there is no limits on bucks and 2 antlerles deer per day during antlerless days.

Posts: 13 | Location: turbeville, sc u.s.a. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In most of the highly populated whitetail range there is an over-harvest of bucks and an under-harvest of does. Like other states with such a problem, Texas has established a "does only" late season. This helps, but it is really up to the landowner in areas like Texas where most of the the deer habitat is in private hands to manage the herd. Some landowners are requiring that a hunter shoot a doe before he is allowed to shoot a buck. Others strickly limit the buck kill to ensure that it is proportional to the doe kill. At any rate, it's hard to kill too many does in places like the Texas Hill Country, and it's hard not to kill too many juvenile bucks in the same places.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Anderson,
I'm from Mobile too. Sorry to say, I don't have the problem you have. Generally, days go dragging by without seeing a thing.

I'd be glad to help you thin out that herd, and I love venison. Don't bother to thank me for this selfless sacrifice, just trying to improve the enviroment!

Any deer is a trophy.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt three areas where the deer are highly over-populated. Luckily there are several places in Missouri and Kansas that will take the venison and be very happy for it. I usually give away 3-4 deer per year and keep 3. After 3 years of doe shooting only on one farm I hunt, we are finally starting to notice a small decline in the herd over the entire 1800 acres. It is still nothing to see 20-30 deer per day though.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you need help thinning does I can volounteer my services. I like taking does and have never killed a buck over 130 in score. In fact I couldn't tell you exactly how they are scored. The meat will find a happy home. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Wisconsin we also have a large herd. There has been a joint effort between deer processors who donated their time and the Hunters that donated the animals for meat that whent to food pantrys.it has been quite successful.

Larry's I'm curious since you have been taking does, have you seen an improvement in the antlered deer?

[ 08-13-2002, 06:03: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
One of you guys mentioned doe shooting only, we have a short but no-limit (short season) on slickheads, however, many of the hunters refuse to shoot anything except larger bucks.

I worry what this will do to promote the health and size of the deer we have.

Where i hunt we have been purposely shooting the small bucks and any that look defective like broken racks etc.

I think its up to folks like most of the guys on this forum who are dedicated to hunting and shooting sports to try to improve our herds without letting them get out of control.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the SCI Convention 3 years ago we were told that you could take a $5/lb tax right off on donated meat. Some of the Dairy Farmers up here are doing that on their old cows by giving them to Food Banks. Beats paying the rendering works.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Isn't it Alabama that has an extremely liberal bag limit on whitetails and with a really long season?

<M38>
posted
Here in Virgina there is a program (Hunters for the Hungry or Hunters for the Homeless)for donating meat, from what I understand they get quite a bit donated every year. I love venision so I only donate to my own stomach.

<Mike Anderson>
posted
Yes, Alabama and mississippi both have very long deer seasons. It is not a problem to put meat on the table.

I also hunt in Kentucky , the season there is shorter but it is loaded with deer.

I know guys that are getting as many as 10 per season, but that takes planning on who gets the meat. It also requires more time away from work than I can take. Several hunters i know take orders. They kill it and someone else pays the processing and keeps the meat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike I'll take 1 [Smile]
Seriously I understand down there the limit is a buck and doe a day for the season length of almost 100 days. Is this correct?

Thanks
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<CAPMED>
posted
In Texas,
TACAA Anti-hunger hotline 800-9229767 orwww.tacaa.org under anti-hunger section for a listing of processing plants
$20 a deer donation

As for our late season for does If your trying to have the does serviced by your big deer - then we have it backwards. The special doe season should be before the general gun season so the dominant buck can concentrate on the remaining ladies. His genes are passed on even if he gets shot after the first or second rut. The does who are currently taken later---will not eat the food for the remaining population if they are taken off earlier. (Better doe & Buck body wt. going into spring.) This may lead to more broken racks as there may be more fighting for does in season.

As it stands after many years of concentrating on the does (Low Fence)on 4000 acres the ratio is much better. Capmed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockhead, no I haven't for two reasons. 1) the bucks are huge already. Tha last 9 point I did take weighed 240# and 2) the Boy Scout camp behind the land I hunt leased it to an outfitter and most bucks over 10 points are taken by 3.5 years of age. It doesn't mean they wouldn't be bigger if they could grow longer.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Anderson:
One of you guys mentioned doe shooting only, we have a short but no-limit (short season) on slickheads, however, many of the hunters refuse to shoot anything except larger bucks.

I worry what this will do to promote the health and size of the deer we have.

Where i hunt we have been purposely shooting the small bucks and any that look defective like broken racks etc.

I think its up to folks like most of the guys on this forum who are dedicated to hunting and shooting sports to try to improve our herds without letting them get out of control.

Mike

you might want to look at this article:

http://www.qdma.com/articles/detail.asp?ID=86

When you shoot the little guys with broken antlers are you sure you are not picking off the deer that are fighting and therefore are good potential for good genes of a dominant deer?

I have been watching a wild deer in my neighborhood (he lives in dirty black spruce swamp about 300 yds from my house), 5 or so years ago I had him in my sights as a small 8 pointer which turned out to be a 4 pointer ( when he turned his head) as he had broken off one side of his rack fighting.

I passed on him and took a doe instead. He had a peculiar tall tined rack that was easy to pick out. I would see him periodiocally over the next years, two years ago he was a gorgeous 12 pointer that showed up in my back yard at 10:30 to 11 pm every night of the gun deer season. I only got one glimpse of him last year, late at night when I was coming home from work but others have seen him. We are seeing his offspring around (also with tall racks). I'm glad I passed on him 5 or so years ago.

I have seen the results of programs like QDM (quality deer management). I usually pass on the little guys because they will be tomorrow's big guys. Reducing the number of does makes sure that there is good competition for them amoungst the Bucks and only the best breed, generally improving the herd's gene pool.

Larrys I'm glad to hear about the big guys, sounds like you have a good gene pool

[ 08-17-2002, 20:52: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I lived in Mobile for 4 years. You are definitely not talking about public land. If your club or private land really has the problem you mentioned, then I'll guarantee you can find an endless line of volunteers who would be glad to pay a fee to help you with your problem. There are a number of young hunters out there who would jump at the chance to take any legal deer. I'd even buy a non resident license if you would allow me to hunt your land. I would be a good steward of your property and a safe, responsible and ethical guest as well. I, like most people, can't afford the annual dues to most of the clubs that have the quality/quantity herd you have described. Just out of curiosity where is the club/land you are referring to.

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that in many parts of the south the habitat is so thick that it's virtually impossible to kill enough does to bring the population into balance. Mississippi has a three does per year limit (way, way too low) with two more allowable by archery. However, if you really want to get serious about managing your hunting area you can have a state biologist come run a survey on your area and he'll give you permits to cull the excess does. I know of several large clubs that have had this done and every one of them has been unable to kill even 50% of the does that the biologists said needed to be removed. After a few days of shooting does they get smart just like the bucks. The cutovers are so thick around here that a deer could live it's entire life in one of those things and never step outside of it. These cutovers supply impenetrable cover, abundant food, and usually water also. Yes, we have a hell of a lot of deer, but it doesn't mean that they're accessible and easily killed.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I cant believe what Im reading here. I wish we had your problems here in Utah. Ive watched deer herds steadily decline here for over 20 years and it just keeps getting worse. There was once an abundance of Mule deer in most of the state but in many of what used to be my favorite spots I am now hard perssed to find even does.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Tennessee we have deer all over the place. TWRA has done an excellent job of managing for quantity. We have a long season with a very liberal kill limit. The probem is getting them to manage for quality. Too many small bucks are being taken by people who describe themselves as "meat hunters". Now I like venison as well as anyone but why these bozos can't eat does and let the small bucks walk is beyond me. Years ago any buck was a trophy buck in Tennessee but we are way past that now. If Tennessee would just place a severe limit on bucks for a few years the herd could be gotten into better balence and the trophy quality would improve tremendously.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in eastern Iowa, in the Iowa City area. Iowa City and Coralville are connected, but have very different governments. There are an enormous amount of "urban" deer in the citiy limits of both cities. Coralvlle offers a special bowhunt in the city limits to control it's deer problem. Iowa city on the other hand is ruled by tree hugging bleeding hearts, and they hire in sharp shooters to take out the deer. No, I don't understand either.

[ 08-15-2002, 21:07: Message edited by: 375hnh ]

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's easy 375hnh,
We hunters are blood thirsty .... where as the sharpshooters are kind and gentle professionals!

Yea Right!

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, seems we have just the opposite situation in Maine. Deer populations here run from 2 deer per square mile (northern and eastern Maine) to as many as 15 per square mile. Our brush is as thick as any. Hunters here are doing well to see ANY deer in a typical day.

With that said, I guess I'd rather hunt under these conditions than yours. Maybe because it's what I know, or maybe because I know that the only deer I might see could be a huge buck...

Good luck with your "problem,"
Dave P

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Here in the South Carolina lowcountry, Game Zone 11, I believe we have the longest deer season in the country.

Deer season opened yesterday, August 15th and runs until January 1st. You can use the weapon of your choice during the entire season, no seperate bow or blackpowder seasons. 4 1/2 months with no limit on legal bucks. There are lots of doe days during the season for those who hunt on property not enrolled in the doe tag program, but most properties enroll each year and are given a large number of doe tags that can be used anytime after September 15th.

I usually shoot between 10 and 20 deer per year, and a dozen or so wild hogs. My wife and I cut, vacuum pack and freeze the meat and eat it all year. We also grind our own venison burger and make bulk and link sausage. We give away quite a lot of meat to friends who have learned to enjoy venison but don't hunt.

Several years ago I was hunting on a private plantaion that was being sold for another god-damn, security gated, golf course community. With the Dept. of Natural Resources' blessing, we attempted to remove as many deer as possilbe prior to the "development" of the property and the inevitable widespread destruction of available habitat.

I contacted a local charity that distributes food to families in need and they agreed to take the venison.

I shot 32 deer on that property during the season. I would clean and quarter the deer and deliver it to a local game processor who ground it all into venisonburger for the charity to distribute.

However, the tenderloins were all mysteriously missing from the carcasses when I delivered them to the processor! I just couldn't bear the thought of grinding tenderloins into venisonburger!!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In central Michigan we have had extended anterless seasons for several years. The season will go unill early Janurary. The lecense were $3 and have gone up to $7. You can buy one per day with no limit. I have donated meat for several years and written deer season off my taxes as a charitable donation.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here in north carolina they ought to require you to shoot 10 does before you can shoot a buck, same old story, and it even took myself a while to figure out you had to let them go to let them grow, but now that i am in my mid-twenties (ha ha ray!) i am maturing i try to get a limit of four does a year, and hopefully two nice bucks, by the way we recieve no rewards or additional tags for donated meat

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fats

like you I did not wabnt to pass on deer regardless of antler size. I grew up hunting in an area with a similar population to Maine where you were also very lucky if saw a deer let alone got a wallhanger.

Several years ago I spent the summer working in Trempeleau County in WI, QDM is practiced in much of the area. I had never seen so many large bucks in one area before. I was convinced about QDM after talking about it with one of the Landowners who practiced it on his property and was shown pictures of several bucks (taken over several years) as they got to harvestable size.

Since Doe tags are not a problem in my neighbohood, I won't shoot a buck unless his antlers extend beyond the ears (16 inches, I have taken more does than bucks).

What is the point in shooting small bucks? Besides what are you going to do with a set of spikes or forks? You certainly won't put them on the wall maybe you could make Coathooks? If you are shooting meat the does are better anyway.

I don't mind if a first time hunter takes a small buck, If you huntin Maine where you are lucky to just see a deer, if you don't have a doe program or if you have have to reduce the population for some reason, otherwise we really should let the little guys go and grow.

We need to pass the word about letting little bucks grow to become big bucks

OK off my soapbox
Rh

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Fats

like you I did not wabnt to pass on deer regardless of antler size. I grew up hunting in an area with a similar population to Maine where you were also very lucky if saw a deer let alone got a wallhanger.

Several years ago I spent the summer working in Trempeleau County in WI, QDM is practiced in much of the area. I had never seen so many large bucks in one area before. I was convinced about QDM after talking about it with one of the Landowners who practiced it on his property and was shown pictures of several bucks (taken over several years) as they got to harvestable size.

Since Doe tags are not a problem in my neighbohood, I won't shoot a buck unless his antlers extend beyond the ears (16 inches, I have taken more does than bucks).

What is the point in shooting small bucks? Besides what are you going to do with a set of spikes or forks? You certainly won't put them on the wall maybe you could make Coathooks? If you are shooting meat the does are better anyway.

I don't mind if a first time hunter takes a small buck, If you huntin Maine where you are lucky to just see a deer, if you don't have a doe program or if you have have to reduce the population for some reason, otherwise we really should let the little guys go and grow.

We need to pass the word about letting little bucks grow to become big bucks

OK off my soapbox
Rh

I don't disagree that quality deer management is a legit idea; Maine's system is pretty much set up that way already. There are any deer (doe) permits given through a lottery. The success for hunters with these permits is much higher than those hunting bucks only�we�re still only allowed one deer per year. The buck to doe ration is in balance, and large bucks (3 year old or better) make up 25-30% of the buck population. Problem is finding them, with the low population densities.

The thing limiting deer populations in Maine is winter survival. Many of the historical wintering areas have been cut, leaving deer no mature softwood winter cover they need to survive our long winters. It may be 20 years or more before those woods can again support a good populations of deer. Makes for very big deer... survival of the fittest. Moose seem to thrive in that young brush though...

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the same problem we have here in South Va.Most of the old time hunt clubs that control just about all the land have a no doe policy except as a last resort,two clubs I hunt with will only allow me to hunt during the either,or weeks because I will and do shoot up to 5 o6 does a year here for my and my familys use.and a couple always goes to "Hunters for the hungy"

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I took over the management of a lease in Tx back in 1992, the group I put together voted to limit each member to one buck of 8 pts or better. Does and the 'longhorn' spikes were open season for the members as well as their guests.
The first year, we took 49 does off of 1060 acres and 5 8pts and 13 'longhorn' spikes. Average weight of a field dressed 8pt was only 78 lbs.
At the end of 5 years, w/ similar numbers of does taken, the average 8 pt had 'grown' from a 13" spread with a field dressed weight of 78 lbs to a 16" spread and a field dressed weight of 105 lbs.
The only spikes we would see would be young deer w/ their first set of antlers barely popping through, or no longer than 3-5 " in length.
Now those up north where the deer run larger may scoff at the size of a Texas Hill Country deer, but think what one of the 'northern' deer would look like if you could increase their body size by 1/3 and their antler size by 25% in five years?

All of this was done w/out ANY supplemental feeding. These were just 'normal' native deer that had a chance to grow up.

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote