New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNDER WILD SKIES --- HOST QUESTION
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think of Toni Macris as host for the show. He is posibly a nice guy but my friends and I have a problem with him as a host.
We like the show but, he has an air about him we can't figure out.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take all of the shows for what they are, entertainment! Shots are staged, some hunts are canned, high fences, more sponsors than hunting, some show the kill some show an after kill. I don't subscribe any more, but like I said they are just entertainment. You can learn the same tricks and techniques from folks on this forum with out haveing to watch 3 minutes of commercials about the doe in heat lure, or the fawn bleat, or my favorite, " The cough silencer" Give me a break! PT Barnum was right!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By "Air", what exactly would you mean?

If you mean assertive, one must remember he was once in Law Enforcement and also a very aggressive supporter of gun owners rights when he hosted the NRA's own public media.

Being very active within the NRA for a number of years and having to deal with "Liberal Perks" trying to swipe our gun rights may have made him a little direct in his appeal and views. Big Grin

I haven't personally watched "UNDER WILD SKIES" in quite sometime, but the few times I have it seemed quite well organized and he always gave a history view and some insight about the area he was hunting and the animal he persuade. I found this very informational for those that may be interested in a hunt to the same area.

Posts: 9568 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
He's certainly less grating than Tred Barta...

IMHO,

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My only real problem with Tony Makris is that he has more neat old guns and more great hunting opportunities than I do.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
My only real problem with Tony Makris is that he has more neat old guns and more great hunting opportunities than I do.

Hey Charles, I cut his Shirttail off a number of times before he finally collected his first Whitetail. Big Grin

His Mom would always ask (with a little wink of the eye) when we came home from our endeavors Afield, "Does Tony still have a Shirttail". thumb

Posts: 9568 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Take all of the shows for what they are, entertainment! Shots are staged, some hunts are canned, high fences, more sponsors than hunting, some show the kill some show an after kill. I don't subscribe any more, but like I said they are just entertainment. You can learn the same tricks and techniques from folks on this forum with out haveing to watch 3 minutes of commercials about the doe in heat lure, or the fawn bleat, or my favorite, " The cough silencer" Give me a break! PT Barnum was right!

Couldn't have said it better myself. FWIW, I also laugh at the "cough silencer" - do people actually buy these things?

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee thanks fellas, I was just finishing up R&D on my new invention the "Fart Silencer". If you feel the urge coming on you just drop your pants and plug in the "Fart Silencer". I was ready to go to market but with your negative vibes I may have to wait awhile. Eeker

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
He's certainly less grating than Tred Barta...

IMHO,

-Steve

Anybody is less grating than Tred Brata. That guy will just wear you out! mgun

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Gee thanks fellas, I was just finishing up R&D on my new invention the "Fart Silencer". If you feel the urge coming on you just drop your pants and plug in the "Fart Silencer". I was ready to go to market but with your negative vibes I may have to wait awhile. Eeker

I really do not want to know about your R&D. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, but is there and activated carbon version?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a big fan of Makris. He is an attorney that runs the firm that handles the NRA's PR. There was quite a bit of discussion about him and his firm some years ago.

I would like to see one thing on that show that doesn't have his mug plastered on it. As my grandfather used to say, "I think he has a high opinion of himself."

To each his own I guess.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee thanks fellas, I was just finishing up R&D on my new invention the "Fart Silencer". If you feel the urge coming on you just drop your pants and plug in the "Fart Silencer". I was ready to go to market but with your negative vibes I may have to wait awhile.

Now that I could use! Does it filter them to?????? bawling I have this guy I work with that is a human bio-digester! Frowner

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I can't wait for the commercials.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the show and have no problem with the host. But it does kind of rub me the wrong way that they have NRA bigwig Wayne LaPierre and his wife hunting on the show. I guess I would rather see some "regular" NRA member get the hunt instead of the bigwig who probably has the cash (paid from our memberships) to go anyway. I do not mean to sound like I am jealous, but I like the average guy to enjoy some perks too.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
FWIW,
Tony began hunting at Moyowosi in western Tanzania on August 9th of this year. I suspect they'll get most of the shows for next year from this hunt with TGT. I was hunting at Moyowosi for a couple of weeks in mid July right before he got there and think he'll have some great shows for us from this trip.
One thing that's interesting is that for some reason his show has been reluctant to have any cat hunting in the past. I was told they have now gotten over that, so I suspect we'll see him try to get a leopard and lion, which should be great to watch.
They also told me that he'll have some "very good looking girl" with him on this year's hunt. Have any idea who that might be? Big Grin

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I'd share a camp with him any time.
Why is it we have this need to beat up on people all the time?

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beating up on these people and the NRA's Wayne Lapierre is just bad for all involved. So just stop it and control your insecurities. The Fart Silencer, now that's damn funny. I had a great laugh, thanks,

Maineguide

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I really don't have an opinion of the man himself. What I do find interesting is his wearing of "dated" clothes. I suppose they go with the fine old guns he uses, but when it is 100 degrees and he has on knee high leather boots, long canvas pants, cnvas shirt with leather vest.....when does it get to be a little bit nutty. It kind of looks silly when he is dressed up like this and his PH is in shorts, shirt and tennis shoes and sweating..... but hey if it makes the man enjoy himself...more power to him I guess.....

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee thanks fellas, I was just finishing up R&D on my new invention the "Fart Silencer". If you feel the urge coming on you just drop your pants and plug in the "Fart Silencer". I was ready to go to market but with your negative vibes I may have to wait awhile.

That is funny, but it won't work. The old lady has tried everything she could think of, but I've "blown" away every thing she has put together. Your not messing with a amateur here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I started this question it was not with the intent to beat up on him. I asked a simple question , what do you think.
I also said he might be a nice guy.
Lets face it he has big money, The people that he has around him have big money.This show is very quetionable to an average joe smo like myself. I think there are a very few shows who show an average joe like me hunting or as a host. I like the show ,I enjoy the show, one can save their money or dream from watching the show. Save ones money in the way of picking to go on one of the hunts seen on the show. I enjoy hunting around the world , I work damn had for my dollar. I am a auto mechanic or grease monkey to you simple Minds. I am a life member of NRA, SCI, NAHC

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Have any of you that disparage his appearance & methods ever met him? He's a very affable individual, and I kind of like his attempts at re-creating a by-gone era. He's the real deal, he even admits his foul-ups on camera. It think he portrays a very conciencious, polished and well-heeled side to our sport and on a channel that is not strictly devoted to hunting, he makes for a good ambassador. At least a lot better than some of the bumpkins on other hunting shows. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Well put, the man is an asset to our ranks.

I liken his wardrobe to those who enjoy reenacting (civil war, cowboys, etc) except I think he actually uses real bullets...lol

Hey, why not, if he enjoys that aspect of the sport, history, etc.... more power to him.

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote