New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scimitar-Horned Oryx Populations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm doing some research on oryx populations in Texas for a school paper. No one seems to know how many there are. Scott Grote of Bamberger Ranch told me last week that there are plenty of herds, much larger than Bamberger's 40, around Texas.

If anyone here knows of ranches with large herds of Scimitar-Horned Oryx, I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Steve
SCI Life member

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I believe both the Indianhead Ranch and H. Yturria Ranch have herds in excess of 200 animals. Also, according to their website, Record Buck Ranch has over 60 Oryx. Hope this helps.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I've seen a few on the side of the roads around Edwards Co. Don't remember the names of the ranches. I'll see what I can find on the next trip out there. (I a few weeks, I hope Big Grin)

I'm sure the YO Ranch has some.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote