THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: The best scope for the mountains?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: The best scope for the mountains?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At one time I had 23 leupold scopes. I've broken a few of them and had one perform poorly in low light - a 3.5x10x50! A couple of times I got good service one time I got a broken scope back that wasn't properly repaired. I had a 1.5x6 LPS that didn't last 20 shots - they sent me a brand new one (which I sold).
At one time I thought that leupold was the best thing going, I have since learned different........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, while I own several Leupold scopes (and several other varieties), non are VX-III's. I apparently do not have the visual accuity nor the engineering discernment to warrent the difference in price between the VX-II and the VX-III. I think the VX-II would be in your cost window. And I know I have received excellent service from the ones I have.
My example of one in needing to use their service department was so prompt as to be almost scary.
While the old saw of "you get what you pay for" is true to an extent, the term "diminishing returns" is alive and well and living in the sporting goods department.
I guess when I read your first post, I skimmed over your "$500-600" and read "cheap". For that amount, you should certainly be able to get a scope of excellent quality. Of the ones that come to my mind are Leupolds, Weavers and Burris. I am sure there are others but these are the ones I am familar with. I had one service need for the Leupolds and one for the Weavers. Both were addressed promptly "no questions asked". I don't know what sort of service you would get from Burris. I have a couple but nothing has ever gone wrong with them. One of them is a 1.5x6 that has been on a 300WM for almost 20 years. That was my elk rifle for a number of years as I clambered about the Big Horn mountains in Wyoming. And, yes, I am one of those guys that often carries his rifle like a suitcase with the scope as a handle. I have done that since time out of mind and the first time it screws up my Leu/Wea/Bur scope, I'll stop doing it.
Enjoy your hunt.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the mountains to the prairies of Montana- Burris Black Diamond. 6x50mm on the Whelen, 4x12-50mm on the 300 Ultra mag. They hold their zero, don't fog when wet w/ rain or snow, and w/ the 50mm ob. lens you can shoot in low light.

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I do have one more question about the leupold. I hear how great their customer service is, but I would hope to never need to be calling them to get a scope fixed. How rugged and lasting have you found your leupold scopes to be?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote