New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horses and Deer info needed...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just got permission to hunt a strech of hardwoods laced with horse trails.
the landowners wife owns a tackshop and lets people ride on the land so there is hardley a time when you dont see shoe marks on the trails or muffins.
what do you think the effect of these horses and rides on the deer population?
what about the horse smell.
would the deer see this odor as alarming or as natural?
there has probably been people riding the trils for 10 years.
yesterday i found a decent rub line that actually crossed a trail that had shoeprints in it and a really good rub about 15 yards from a horse muffin that was recent.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you would be concerned. Deer could care less - they are well acclimated to them if they have been doing this for months, never mind years.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that horses wre good for hunting. If they have been doing it that long you won't have a problem!

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im wondering if i should carry some hunting cloths over to my buddies stable and hang them up around the horses to get smelly.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunters are pretty much suckers for the scent issue.

You cannot mask scents. If you could, a drug or bomb dog would be lost in an airport. A coyote could never track down a jackrabbit, and a komodo dragon would starve to death.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The deer are in our pastures with our horses all the time, they don't give them a second look. And, yes, using a little horse "perfume" on your boots or hunting clothes when hunting where horses are found is a great idea, and it works also with cow flop where the cattle haven't been taken out of a boundary for very long before you hunt. We use it and it works, the only "masking scent" I've ever had that really works, and I've tried them all for the magazines.

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i figured since they are hunter stupid and 99 out of 100 times they come into contact with the human scent they also comeinto contact with the horse smell then i can not mask my scent but mix it with the horse smell to put them in a calmer state.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I have been on a horse in a National forest in Idaho and had a buck stand less than 30 yards and away watch us ride past. There was no alarm nor interest in us and I assume this would be true as long as we didn't make any sudden moves or turn in his direction.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i figured since they are hunter stupid and 99 out of 100 times they come into contact with the human scent they also comeinto contact with the horse smell then i can not mask my scent but mix it with the horse smell to put them in a calmer state.

That sounds reasonable enough to me. Could just toss a few muffins in a bag to open on the stand. Step in a few piles on the way in. That sort of thing. Makes sense anyway.

Brent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:

That sounds reasonable enough to me. Could just toss a few muffins in a bag to open on the stand. Step in a few piles on the way in. That sort of thing. Makes sense anyway.

Brent

i,v been stepping in piles here for weeks. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
hi kstephens

i use my horses all the time to check up on the deer in the area, its the best way to get in at axe chopping range.
try to get on a horse and go see the deer up close, get of the horse and shoot the deer you want. as easy as that.

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
This is a perfect situation for you. The deer are probably pretty tame and used to human scent also. Obviously these horses aren't riding themselves down these trails.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe that over a large part of the U.S., white tails are never completely out of sight/sound/or smell of humans.

You will probably do good just going in and hunting as you normally would and letting yourself sort of blend in with the way things are on that particular property. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in this are people just dont hunt. in fact there used to be a law on the books that gave horse riders authority to ride through peoples private property without permission. it dates back to the fox hunts that used to common in that area.
last sat evening. i heard 2 shots from miles away. 40 miles west of there a buddy who was hunting said the woods sounded like Iraq. the deer prossesers are so full they have stopped taking deer.
yesterday i saw a decent doe standing under a red oak on the side road eating acorns. she looked at us as we walked to the truck and got in and drove away.
they dont care about people i guess.
they have plenty of food and plenty of water. they have pastures, thickets and bottoms. its really like a sanctuary for them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a rider, I would add a little cautionary note to what has been said. If you take others with you be sure that they know to not shoot unless they are sure it is not a horse and rider. I am suprized each year with the horses shot for deer. Also the riders should be aware of the hunters so when you let go with that .308, the horse does not jump out from under them. Horses and deer get along just fine and we often see them together.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
since we wont be killing any does we just shoot ones with antlers and hope for the best, ok?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a boy I grew up in an area where there were "bridle trails" that ran through deer woods. Also there were fox hunt clubs (horseback riding to hounds). The deer could'nt have cared less.(From our house we could see deer on the edge of the woods about 300 yards away licking at cattle salt licks in a high field -and distinctly hear the hounds in the woods on a fox hunt -and the deer paying no attention. (IN those days there was no foxhunting with dogs allowed during deer season) (BTW, I'm with Brent on this overselling of the "scent issue". The only scent I ever noticed that deer were repelled by was gasoline/motor oil. There's a multimillion dollar industry in selling hunters on the virtues of using fox urine and whatever on their boots. I'll pass on that -even if I probably lost a shot at some 8 pointer in love with fox piss) Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth I've been riding since before I started school and I'm looking a retiring in the next couple years. When mounted you can ride up to damn near any wild game you want to,deer ,elk and even moose and they pay very little attention to you. Dismount and they recognize a human pretty quick and are making tracks like right now!

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a mule deer hunt north of Ely. We saw lots and lots of deer up there at a pretty high elevation. I was seeing lots of horse droppings too thinking are hunters riding this area and was told there are wild horses up there. I never saw one but there was ample evidence of them.

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Works well with a mountain bike too. Deer don't become alarmed at anything except humans and hogs.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote