THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Opinions yet on the Simmons Master Series?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions yet on the Simmons Master Series?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm shopping for a 3-9 to put on a light 300 Win for tough use. I have Leupolds on everything else but the press on this has been good (for what thats worth...) and the specs are there: great eye relief, light, theoretically solid design. I can pick up a Prohunter Master Series for $105 while even a VX-1 will run twice that. I looked through one next to a Leupold and the optics were clearly not as good but I rarely look through my scopes for long--thats what binocs are for. I'm most concerned with durability and repeatability.

I know these havn't been out long but has anyone had experience with this scope yet?

Thanks.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Mueller and put it on one of my rifles here. So far I really like it. In my opinion it's clearer and crisper than the simmons scopes I've used.

I bought the 3-9x40 illuminated reticle from opticzone.com for around $135.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for.

The cheapest scope I buy now days is Burris.

If you can afford the leupold do that I have use simmons scopes before they now sit on my 22s or are gone.

Hard use is the key words here.

Buy the best you can. I would rather spend the extra money now then ending up with scope that is junk and worth nothing and still end up buying the better one.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased one of the new Master series Prohunter 3-9x40s, and will try it out. I bought it out of curiousity after the good press, particularly John Barsness (sp?). Tne new adjustment construction seems promisingly sturdy, they include the rainguard coating like the Elites and the optics are very good, IMHO.

Time and use will tell.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked through one next to a Leupold and the optics were clearly not as good but I rarely look through my scopes for long--thats what binocs are for. I'm most concerned with durability and repeatability.

If you looked through one in the store or on the range and you can see a difference in optical quality, then you will REALLY see a difference in low light and heavy brush. The better glass will not only let in more light but it gives you much better definition, (game will stand out).

I have not looked through the new simmons but based on what you said, I would buy the Leupold, and if you can afford it buy a Schmidt and Bender. I have lost out on opportunity and passed up bucks because of poor optics. I learned the hard way. I would rather have a cheap rifle than cheap optics.

If you are trying to save $$$ and still get a good hunting scope, I like the fxIII 6X42 Leupold. you get awesome optical quality at a much lower cost than a VXIII.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
You get what you pay for.

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't talk a friend out of buying a Simmons some time back. He has since given it away and replaced it with a Leupold.

YOU REALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Simmons scopes are known for reticle drift. You asked for repeatability. I'd urge you to spend more money and get a better built scope. A Nikon would be just fine or even a Burris.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that Simmons was recently bought out by the well respected telescope manufacturer Meade Instruments. Meade has also acquired Redfield and Weaver.

The new True Zero mechanism in the Masters Series scopes is supposedly quite innovative and sturdy.

The company is definately changing. Their product probably will too.

I haven't been able to find any of the NEW Simmons yet. So I can't make any observations on comparisons. What I have found. There is plenty of the older stuff out there. Some of it is mislabeled by the seller (especially internet sellers). So be careful.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys--this is why I'm torn. The optics were NOTICIBLY better on the Leupold in the store--I guess its too early in this product's life to have much for first hand experiences with it. I'm not sure I'm willing to be their guinea pig. Anyone got a used Leupold they want to get rid of? Big Grin

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Not in the size you're looking for.

I do have a VX II in 6x18 I've considered parting with. It's new on a gun and only about a year old. It's seen one kill, a Doe antelope this past Sept.

I like it very much but with the rifle it's on, I'm going to a little less magnification.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Leupold and do not look back. $175-220 is a fair price and a better value at this time.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had to simmons scopes that I have not liked, the cheapest scope I will get from now on is leupold, infact I do not own any other scope than a leupold and if I can't put a leupold on I wait until I can afford one.

I have a desire to try a khales at some stage.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
leupold,burris or nikon. Have had all three all seem to be well made and all still work like new.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The New Specs are quite impressive on the Master Series line but, Like you, I think it will be a while before they prove themselves.

The Older cheaper Simmons lines were not very impressive however, the upper lines like the Aetec and Whitetail Expedition were quite nice scopes for the price. I have one of the Aetecs mounted on a rifle I hunt w/ a good bit, it is just as tough as any of my other scopes such as Zeiss, Nikon, Leupie, etc. so I can't complain too much about it. That particular rifle has more recoil than most of my other rifles and gets treated a bit more roughly as well and it's never lost zero.

I wouldn't hestitate to use the new Master Series Aetec on a rifle but, they are in the same price range as the lower model Nikons and Leupies but don't have 1/2 the resale value so why bother.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a batch of different Scopes for the US market .. at least the major names.....

I don't always buy the really cheapest unless they are going on something like a 22.. where recoil isn't an issue...

But for plain old durability, I have never had a problem with a Simmons...The few scopes I have ever had problems with, the manufacturer back them up with fixing or replacing them.....

Leupolds are always a good investment and you will always get your money back if you need to sell it... but I have too many rifles to have exclusively Leupold scopes.. Guess I could have fewer rifles... but that is not on my option list yet....

For a beat around rifle.. I'd use a plain old Tasco World Class 3 x 9 that are about $60.00 locally at BiMart.... the Simmons would be a step up from that.....

You do get what you pay for.. but we all don't need a Mercedes to drive down to the supermarket....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best scope for the price range of $250 is a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 SF. I own some high dollar scopes such as Khales,I own Leupold VXIII, I own Zeiss Conquest trust me none of them are clearer than the Nikon BM but all cost more $$. They also have a lifetime replacement (not just repaired). I have mine mounted on a 338 Win Mag with about 450 full house 250 gr loads thru it...still spot on!