Notify
Tools

Re: Effect of rain on deer movement?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Quote:

I am in the very southern part of the Texas Panhandle.

When did you guys get phone lines in Tulia? I went to school with a couple guys from Tulia, also knew a womens volleyball coach from there. Good people.

Befus, where are you hunting and with who?

Posts: 6263 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas can be tough to hunt without a night or two of cloudy weather. The deer, due to the heat are nocturnal most of the summer unless there is total cloud cover at night where the deer can't see to move around at night. Rain is a blessing where I hunt as it is cloudy, cool and the browse is moist and usually I see a lot of deer out in the rain. Wind is a bit different if it is really blowing say nore than 20 mph it will have some effect causing them to seek sheltered areas and bed down or restrict movement but during the rut the bucks will keep the does moving.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
I planned a morning off of work one day.It takes some

doing to be able to do this.I awoke and it was hellish

windy and rain.I didn't want to get out of the camper.

I went and put some doe in heat on the trail in.

I was not in my stand 15 mins. when 2 does came in from the

upwind side.As luck would have it a nice buck smelled

my doe in heat scent,ran over the knoll,doing the flemin

thing...He saw the two does which were 20 yards from my

stand and went right to them.They turned and ran,he stopped

right were they were standing and was smelling...

Zip one buck.

I learned a lesson I will never forget.

You can't shoot them in bed,in your stand you always

have a chance.

Go hunt...hunt hard.

Good luck.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Go Hunt! FWIW, I love hunting in slightly adverse conditions. I find that either the deer are stiring, perhaps because of the lack of hunting pressure since most hunters stay home. Or if it is real misserable, foggy, windy, etc. and the deer are just not moving I find it to be a great time to slip through the woods. It's easier to stay warm this way and the deer seem to be reluctant to move, allowing you to slip in close.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THE OTHER problem with windy rainy day hunts, that may not be a problem in Texas, but up in the North is an issue to be dealt with is the simple fact that in the wind the woods is alive with "widowmakers" Once the wind gets above a steady 20mph, it is time to vacate the older forests becasue the limbs and treetops WILL be coming down and you will not hear most of them.
BUT if it is just rain, the deer will move. In heavy rain the deer will bed down, but then the walking is soft and if you watch the wind and you glass a lot you will be surprised at what you will find.

2 seasons ago it had snowed and melted, then it settled into a steady rain. the ground was soft. I was glassing with my litttle binos and saw the rear end of a deer behind a log about 200yds in front laying tight. ghosted around until I was able to step out in front and see what it was. It was a little 4 point. He was so surprised, he simply froze in place. I'm not 50 feet from him and he thinks he is invisible. This went on for probably 5 minutes, just waiting to see if his nerves will take it. I already made up my mind I am letting him go. He doesn't move until I get about another 100feet from him then he jumps and bolts.
when the weather is crappy, if you have the patience and watch the wind, you can get into some very nice game just ghosting along.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good thing about rain is that the knuckleheads stay home. Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly would GO HUNTING ! Although I do think there are more factors than rain if there will be deer movement. If it is a full moon weekend with rain in the day I still go but I don't expect a lot of activity. You just never know what a buck in rut is going to do. A "good" bad weather day is when there is a high pressure system moving in that hasn't gotten to your area yet. This will really bring the deer out to eat. Snow is good too ! Although the last time I hunted in Eldarado I sure wasn't expecting snow in Texas and I froze my Azz off ! I dig take a 120 class 8 pt. Good Luck on your hunt and don't forget to hit a few of those Texas BBQ's and get some Lone Star brew !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote