Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Draws are posted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
And, as usual, I didn't draw anything. Better luck next time!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to say I drew Oryx! First time. If anyone has any info from past hunts, I'm interested.

Armbar.

Posts: 170 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
14th yr of getting the big goose egg from NM.
But, I do only apply for the sheep and ibex tags.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk tag!

Ambar, are you on base or off base for the oryx? I assume you are on base.

I've shot two, one on and one off. I've read some good advice here about the oryx hunt. The herd size is way down from what it was a few years ago, so the hunting is harder. Based on fewer animals, a guide is not a bad idea if you can afford it.

Many hunters drive right past oryx bedded near the roads. Take your time, glass a LOT.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel like I won a lotto - Unit 34 muzzleloader elk.

Posts: 88 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr.Dog Guy,
The tag I drew is on base. I've got an offer to share info from previous hunts from a member here. In addition I am going to contact the guide I used for my Ibex hunt last year. It's such a short hunt one has to get it done quickly.

Armbar.

Posts: 170 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Armbar, I hunted Rhodes canyon a few years ago. Used a guide and was glad I did. The way he explained it day one we look for 40"er. Day two we look for respectable. Got a nice bull on day two. It is not the calkwalk I thought it would be.

On another note. I DREW A PETONCILLO DESERT TAG!!!! I can't wait. Wow.

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh... y'all are going to hate me: drew elk, deer and oryx. First 2 are bow. Need a partner for all 3 if anyone is interested. All in southern NM. I'm in Albuquerque. Have 4WD pickup, and most camping equipment. All hunts except for Oryx will be made w/the quads God gave me... no ATVs.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Wyoming buddy drew another 2b rifle deer tag for 11/2-11/6. This is 2 of the last 3 draws that he's drawn that tag. I think we will be trying a completely different area for the most part than we hunted in 2011.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Armbar,

You are so right! It is a very short hunt, which is why I thought a guide might be your best option for success. With a smaller herd, there are fewer opportunities, though there are still plenty of oryx there. Are you on Stallion Range? That's where I hunted.

I trust you will get good advice. The best I can offer is that glassing is your friend. If you can get a high spot and just wait and watch, you will see animals. So many hunters moving around moves animals and you will see them. I am far from an expert, however, and many are. Any oryx is a good oryx!

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftcoast:
I feel like I won a lotto - Unit 34 muzzleloader elk.

great area, great season. one of my favorite elk hunts I've done.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally drew a bull elk hunt in unit 15. Refund on the other four applications. What units are you in dampatents? I have a very good friend that guides on range if anyone needs a reference.

Posts: 91 | Location: Land of the Gila, Nm | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 12, deer, Units 16B/22 elk, Stallion Range Oryx. Thanks for asking

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Dog Guy,
I'm in Rhodes canyon, Nov 29-Dec 1. So far the advice I have got is the same as you gave; get high and glass.

Armbar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Even you you are late in the year, it can be fairly warm. I took a huge cooler full of ice. Put a tarp in the bed of the truck, filled the body cavity with ice, dumped the rest of the ice around the oryx and bundled it up. Plus, of course, get it skinned quickly.

Some guys take am electric freezer and a generator, but that seemed extreme - but you are in CA, so maybe not.

You'll have a lot of fun!

Chuck

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
armbar, that'll be a good hunt. I've hunted Rhodes a few times and saw plenty of animals, and some nice ones. Though, as stated, numbers are way down from the heyday in the early 2000s. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions or just want to BS about it. I'm always happy to lend what support I can. Heck, I'd offer to go along and help glass, but your hunt is smack dab in the middle of the elk hunt I drew.

I'll be hunting oryx too - off-range in August. I haven't done much off-range, though I have a few ideas. If anyone out there has additional advice, I'm all ears.

Also got a muzzleloader mule deer hunt (as usual). Nobody else in the state wants to hunt the three mule deer that are in the southwest part of the state. Smiler

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim 1367: On another note. I DREW A PETONCILLO DESERT TAG!!!! I can't wait. Wow.

No kidding wow!! As I recall there's only one or two tags in that area, so you're a lucky dog! I want to hunt desert sheep so bad I can taste. Please return and post a story of your hunt.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Yep I think the Sheep God's have smiled on me. There are two tags for the unit in the draw and I never thought I would draw one but I guess the saying is right, you can't draw if you are not in! Pretty excited! Being in Southern NM you must have some insight. Would you care to share?

Thanks, Jim

Sheep hunting, the most fun you can have while being completely miserable!

Posts: 55 | Location: Sussex county N.J. | Registered: 25 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JustOneMoreShot
posted Hide Post
I'm a nonresident and was very lucky to draw both an Elk and Mule Deer tag for NM. I am very excited and will be going with a buddy. This will be my first Elk hunt!

Posts: 54 | Location: GA USA | Registered: 16 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of my friends and family only drew one species and a few got skunked. It is good to see the tags went somewhere! My good friend guided a client in the Peloncillos this past year. He ended up putting his client on a 181 inch ram that had amazing bases.

Posts: 91 | Location: Land of the Gila, Nm | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the offers to help.

Desert Ram, PM sent.

Armbar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Dog guy,

Yeah I'm gonna have to figure out the meat issue before I go. CA does not allow any brain or spine tissue from game into the state because of CWD. So it'll have to be cut and wrapped in NM before I leave. I'm guessing that when NM F&G sends info packs they will include some meat processors. Is that true? With the internet that sort of thing is fairly easy to research.

Thanks again for the info,

Armbar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will find a number of meat processors at the gate as you leave, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. As I recall, I don't think they list any processors specifically.

I know one I'd recommend in Bloomfield, which is up towards Durango, CO, but I suspect that is way out of your way home.

Perhaps someone here has used a local processor they can recommend?

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you will love the meat!

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope all the talk of meat processors and such isn't putting the carriage in front of the horse! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and me too, Armbar. I trust its not bad luck to plan.

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing for me...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote