Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Bison ---- Very Reasonable
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Manager of a huge Bison Ranch near Bozeman
tells me they are over run with big buffalo bulls in the 6 - 12 year age class. Normal price is $3500 - $4000. They want $1500. Meat comes with it and you end up with 600 - 700 #'s of good eatin and an awesome hide and skull. It will cost about a dollar a pound to butcher. Caution: This is not a real hunt but rather a cull. Anyone anxious to see what their big bores will do---- well here ya go. Leave the 22 short at home. Anyone interested can contact me and I'll give you the contact info.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith-

I appreciate you being upfront on the hunt vs culling conditions. Anyone going into it knows what to expect. Expect some backlash, but the conditions are spelled out before you pay your money. I have no interest, but the deal just for the meat sounds pretty good.

Other threads had guys talking about how the bison market was falling apart, this seems to confirm it.

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
That sounds like one hell of a deal for a freezer full of meat!

It would also be a good way to get a little trigger time in with my Marlin 1895 .45/70 before heading off to Africa on the AR.com Cape Buffalo Raffle hunt!

A big, bull Bison skull mount would be an interesting addition to the trophy room. Can you still get the whole hide done as a buffalo robe, like they used to do in the good ole horse and buggy days?

I'll be visiting some relatives in Missoula for a week in late September, could we plan a visit to the ranch then?

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Caution: This is not a real hunt but rather a cull. Anyone anxious to see what their big bores will do
Keith, this is the closest thing to a drive-by-shooting we have in Montana (grin)!

Brad

<SkiBumplus3>
posted
That same buffalo costs $500 near Browning. The extra grand must be a Ted Turner premium.

I shot one last winter. You end up paying about $1.10/pound of meat. It's a great deal.

Be warned. It will cost about $150 to clean the skull and $500 to tan the hide.

Ski+3

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I'm sure you would have no problem sceduling a visit in late Sept. I'll send you the contact info today direct to your e-mail and you will hear from them shortly after you contact them.
As far as the buff robe and skull etc... I'm sure you can have done anything you want. I happen to know a good taxidermist right here in Butte that could do this for you. Bozeman also has some good taxidermists. The ranch people will deliver your buff to the butcher and skin it while you watch and you deal direct with the butcher. You would bring it to a taxidermist.

Your interest in having a skull and horns for your trophy room reminds me of something I saw while visiting several safari operators in Namibia last month. Unlike anything I've ever seen and I grew up in a taxidermy shop.
This presentation of the european mount is further illustrated by starting with a boiled and bleached Eland bull skull. It was then mounted within a large picture-like frame with beautiful dark wood. The Frame was at least 12 -14 inches thick (deep) and the background was a grass cloth that gave a 3-d effect. The frame had glass covering and in the evening the inside of the frame was illuminated by inside lighting. I believe you would call this a shadow box. I killed a buff in the late 80's after drawing a permit down by Yellowstone and did a European out of it and then bought a child's Indian breast plate which I draped over the face of the skull. Looks pretty good but this newer Idea takes it to another level and is very attractive. Well I got a bit side tracked...I'll be in touch. Keith

Hey Brad, It's safer than Decker Flats down at the Firing Line! :-)

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchering cost about .45 cents per pound on the carcass (head hide legs and entrails removed) roughly 1/2 live weight.The only downside, the meat should be hung for 6 to 7 days prior to butchering. Which means you will need to wait around or have it trucked back by refrigerator truck which is the route I did, the meat is excellent and well worth the extra work. Hide tanning will be $7.00 per square foot (assuming hide is salt dried and fairly well fleshed). A big bull will be around 35 to 50 Sq feet, Tannining unlimited just outside of Springfield Mo did mine. If you need more info drop me a line.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much roughly would it cost to have the meat frozen and shipped. This is a curiosity of mine but as an elk hunt possibility looms for 2003 I am wondering what to budget for flash freezing and shipping back to California. I would love to do a cull trip just for the meat and maybe a new rug for the living room.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

You would be best advised to check with UPS to check thier rates for overnite / 2nd day air shipping. I know in my years of outfitting here in MT. that it used to cost $55.00 for every 70 pounds on 2nd day delivery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Keith. Sounds like a fair deal for someone looking for meat outside a grocery store...like you said, good opportunity to try the big bore and get some good meat.

Do you have any photos of the shadow box you mentioned? Very curious about variations on the European mount theme.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matter of fact I do have a picture and I'll e-mail it to you tomorrow. I sent you a book signed by my Dad today. Hope you enjoy it. There's some great stories in there. We are encouraging him to write another...

[ 08-22-2002, 09:05: Message edited by: KEITH ATCHESON ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If one of you guys could post that picture for the rest of us to see it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
send it to me at and I will!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WE had roughly 1100 t0 1300 pounds shipped frozen from Montana to Chicago and the total bill was around $310.00, there was a minimum fee of $250.00 if it was under 1000 lbs, a fuel sur charge of 20 0r 30 dollars plus an unloading fee of around 25 or 35 dollars. I can dig up the name of the trucking company if anyone need its. The only condition pickup has to be in a town that they have on there route, Bozeman is OK. They will call you when the truck will arrive so you would need to be availabe to pick it up.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
raamw,
Please post the name of the company.
Thanks
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an update on this buffalo deal. The manager tells me that the buff is $1500 as stated but they want an additional $350 if they are to deliver meat to a butcher and cape and skull to taxidermist so please be advised...............
I think I'd just pay it as you would have to have a pickup and deal with all the mass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the shadowbox pic for Keith.
This is a cool idea!

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kieth - you don't know me but I'm from Montana and worked in Butte for a number of years at MSE. I think you know Bob Bushmaker - I helped him to work up some loads using 210 NP in a 338 you have (had?) about 15 years ago. Is your dads book available for sell - Love to read it. Live in Alabama now but will be home soon. Take care.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The refrigerated trucking company:

Diversified Transfer & Storage
1640 Monad Rd
Billings Montana
406-245-4695

The Butcher who did our work was
Glenn Restvedt & Sons,
PO BOX 504,
Ennis Montana 59729
Tel 406-682-7306
He charged $20 to skin and .45 cent per pound hanging weight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman,

Yes, I know Bob Bushmaker well. He's pretty happy right now as he drew a Bighorn tag here in MT. in a decent area. He's doing lots of planning etc...
Yes I can get you a book. What I'd suggest is that you send an e-mail to atchesons@in-tch.com
attn: Connie with credit card info and she can process it. There about $25.00. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Thanks.

On another subject the gentleman that posted the info on the shipping co. and butcher. Restvedt's
are superb butcher's. This is who we use for everything.

<PostDriver>
posted
Keith, while I'd like to make that hunt, Africa did a number on my bank account for this year.

Is there a possibility of buying some bison cuts directly from the butcher for shipment to TX?

one of us
posted Hide Post
post driver,

I can think of 2 options.

1. Call Rob Arnaud, the manager and ask him as these guys are up to their eyeballs in Buff. raoutfitting@aol.com

2. Call Restvedt's in Ennis MT at the number above and ask them and that might be the best as this is what they do.
Good Luck! Keith

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amosgreg:
Here is the shadowbox pic for Keith.
This is a cool idea!

-

It's hard to tell in a one-dimensional photo....
Is this under glass with the box sticking way out? Or is it just framed without glass with the head sticking out?

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ngrumba,

The box is about a foot deep and sticks out from the wall. The skull is under glass mounted on grass cloth. I think it would look better if the whole inner frame was mounted flush into the wall so it looks like a regular picture frame but the walls would need to be deep.