Tools

Taaadaaa --Finally
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
The AZ draw results are now available.

www.azgfd.gov/draw

My oldest son and I finally drew the 12A Kaibab westside late hunt (1015). I struck out again on sheep, though.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice tags Tony!
You are probably a bit excited about your fall hunts, good hunting and good luck.
How long have you put in for the Sheep tag?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been putting in for sheep for about 35-38 years. I quit for a few years when I moved to CO in the mid-1970s, thus lost any BPs I had. Now, after drawing a blank again, I'm back up to 20 BPs.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on drawing your tags. tu2 tu2 beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nada for me, Tony. I was trying for some HARD TO DRAW tags, though.. But alas, the coues aren't out of the water just yet.. Leftovers here I come!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Nope, not me. Skunked again.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
VERY good tags! Congrats.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Mark Young and I drew mulie tags and will be hunting with Grand Canyon State Outfitters and Ben Boone. Really looking forward to it...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scotty,

At least you won't lose your points going for a leftover. We've been doing that for about 8 years now. Rather than make 5 choices, I just used the first two, both for the N.Kaibab hunts. Then we would just pickup a leftover Coues tag in 36B when we failed to draw.

We had 8 BP to draw this year. Now we're back to 0.

Tim,

I'm not familiar with Grand Canyon State Outfitters. What hunt did you draw??

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dad has 12 points for moose in Wyoming and I think 10 or 9 points for sheep.

The only thing he drew was antelope.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
The AZ draw results are now available.

My oldest son and I finally drew the 12A Kaibab westside late hunt (1015). I struck out again on sheep, though.
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Kudos on both you and your son drawing the Kaibab hunts.
Should be an awesome hunt.. tu2

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be shopping for another one like this, tagged in 1965 on the east side.

I first started hunting the Kaibab in the early 1960s. Back then, getting a permit was pretty easy, and both bucks and does could be legally tagged. Since then, I've drawn permits about four times, the last being in the late 1980s.

But aside from the good hunting back then, the Kaibab is a special sentimental favorite of mine.

Below is one of my "LAST SHOT" columns I wrote for AZ Hunter & Angler on the day my grandfather died. A copy went into his jacket pocket on the day he was buried.

This was written in 1985.......

Tribute To Pop

At some point in nearly everyone's life, another person ultimately will influence one's behavior --- conduct, morals, principles, ethics, whatever. My life was no different. Early on, my grandfather, Luigi Migali, became that person.

Born in Sicily in 1891, Pop came to New Jersey as a teenager and worked construction jobs for most of his life. He battled through the Great Depression, saved enough money to build a house and eventually retired in the late 1950s.

Although the hunting opportunities close to home were meager, Pop made the best of them. Each year he hunted for deer in the hardwoods and farm fields of upper New York state, and on Thanksgiving Day custom dictated that he and the other men in the family spend a cool, autumn morning searching for a few rabbits, squirrels or upland birds.

The outings into the brightly-hued woods were only for grown-ups; I never went along with them. After learning how to shoot by sniping rats in a local dump, I eventually killed a spike buck on a hunt in New York state. I was 17 then and with a cousin of the same age.

Although I never hunted with my grandfather, I spent a lot of time with him; weekend visits and Sunday dinners typified Italian family traditions. Because I was the first and only grandson, Pop might have played favorites. I’m not sure, but I do know we were close.

Pop moved to Arizona in 1960, and my wife and I followed a few months later. At the time, he was already in his 70s. I had just turned 20. The hunting opportunities in our new home state excited us both. We immediately began a new relationship. In addition to being grandfather and grandson, we became hunting buddies.

During the time we spent together, Pop taught me things my urban upbringing precluded. He showed me the fundamentals -- the proper way to sharpen a knife, pluck a bird, field dress a deer and other things kids who had spent their early years in the outdoors probably had learned before they were 14.

I retained it all. But the philosophical things --- matters dealing with the moral or ethical side of hunting --- are what I remember most. Pop always told me, “Obey the law and do only what you feel is right. If there's a doubt, don't do it.” I’ve followed that advice for more than 35 years now.

My two boys started to come along on our hunting trips before they were 10 years old. Their “Papa” taught them, as well. Sometimes they still acted contrary to what Pop felt was right. When that happened, he corrected them, usually with his favorite short and to the point reprimand --- "Shame on you."

Like most youngsters growing up, my sons and daughter often shed tears as a result of a scolding or an insignificant hurt. Pop always chided them. His "Big boys (or girls) don't cry," usually stemmed the flow of tears. It did the same for me throughout my childhood.

For 15 years, Pop accompanied me on every hunting trip. We scattergunned for fast-flying doves and flushing quail, crawled through the sage for speedy pronghorns, climbed the foothills for the elusive javelina and stalked through the pines for the majestic elk. And yes, we hunted mule deer, too; Pop relished it.

The North Kaibab usually produced venison for the freezer, so it became Pop's favorite hunting spot. I took him there whenever possible. In the early 1960s, Kaibab deer permits came easy. Later, however, after the drawing system went into effect, our hunting trips to the North Rim dwindled. If we failed to get a permit, Pop showed great disappointment.

Pop rarely was sick. The years eventually took their toll, however. A strenuous day in the field often caused him to experience severe leg cramps in the middle of the night. I would then climb out of my toasty sleeping bag and rub the baseball-sized knots in his thighs until the pain subsided. It never discouraged him, though. He endured the hurts rather than miss the thing he cherished most. Despite the fact his physical ability lessened, his love for hunting persevered.

While I spent my days stalking through the woods in search of good buck, Pop sat in one place for hours, waiting for a legal deer to show itself within range of his .30/06. Hoping to spook something toward him, I made a point of ending my day by circling toward his position. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. I could always count on finding Pop where I had left him, usually leaning up against a tree or sitting on a stump, watching and waiting. He marveled at the fact that I covered many miles in a day's hunting.

Pop moved back to New Jersey in 1976, and quit hunting about four years ago. He then visited every summer, and if I had killed some game the previous fall, he went home with a box of meat. Yet, his heart remained in Arizona; he longed to return for good. Last July, he got his wish.

His stay was brief. On October 12, 1985, three months after he returned to the place he loved most, my hunting partner made his last stalk.

Without a doubt, he's probably watching me struggle through this column and saying, "Shame on you. Big boys don't cry."

Pop was rarely wrong. He would be this time.

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Tony,

congratulations on drawing the tag and best of luck on your hunt! I have visited AZ several times but have never hunted there. My hunting buddy and I now have two preference points for elk and two for mule deer...hopefully soon!

Thank god for our "Pops"!!!!

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Tony. Congrats on a super tag. I hate to say it, but I don't even know what unit mine is in. Ben did the apps for us. I know it is an hour and twenty minutes from PHX and they grow cotton, corn, alfalfa there irrigated by the desert.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
x-caliber,

The adage: good things come to people who wait. Wink

Of course,"soon" will depend on what permits you're after and if you're a resident or NR.

Tim,

Sounds as if you'll be doing a desert mule deer hunt west of town. Numbers aren't that great, but there are usually some respectable bucks to be had.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I drew 5ab deer and 5bs turkey. Excited to say the least . Congrats tony and heat.

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Hey that's great news coues, I'll be up in 5Bs in 2 weeks camping. I'll do some poking around and try to scout a bit for you.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
give me a call maybe we can meet up

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Hey Tony,

I haven't been on in a long while and just saw this. Congrats to you and your son! That is going to be one great hunt in some beautiful country!

Many of our clients have drawn some great deer tags this year. One regular drew a sheep tag.

Enjoyed your "Tribute to Pop".

Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote