THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The snow is coming, the snow is coming!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The snow is coming, the snow is coming!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
And about time, too. Hunting here has been, well, a bit of a challenge due to the heat and the drought.

Weatherman say tracking snow by Friday. Looks like that elk tag is going to be good for something, after all..... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had snow on the ground yersterday didn'stay. good luck hunting.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
And my tag expires on Thursday [Frown]

Oh well, I've been successful 4 out of 5 years.

I'll just chalk this year up to a great horse ride with out the work.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, I surely wish that snow had come sooner. My two buds and I drew Controlled Bull Elk tags for Unit 37A, east of the Pahsimeroi River. We were in there for twelve days, tent camping, and the days were in the 80s. Nights never even reached freezing.

Hunted hard, sweated a few gallons of water, never fired a shot. I've never seen it so hot and dry in October. The few hunters we saw had the same "success" we had, which is to say, none.

Our tags expired Friday evening, Oct. 24th.

Oh well, next year.......

Good luck on your hunt. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Leanwolf, I have a cowboy buddy in the Pahsimeroi, that drew the same tag.

Hunted for 9 days, with horses, the whole thing. Came home empty handed. Shot a 6x6 out of his heifers the next morning!

They ain't where they usually are, this year. It's drier than a popcorn fart! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, glad to hear your friend got his 6x6 bull right out of his pasture. (As the old saying goes, I'd rather be lucky than good, any day!!)

Do you know what area he hunted, using horses, in 37A?? We were camped way back on Little Morgan Creek, at about 6,200 feet. We didn't have horses.

The only elk we heard about that was killed in that area was a nice 6x6 bull by a hunter from Maine, who was hunting with a professional outfitter. We heard they were in the Cow Creek area of 37A. Of course, they too, had horses.

Best of luck on your hunt.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
L.W, he was up Cow Creek, too. The ranch is about 30 miles north of the Donkey Hills. HTH, Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Great Falls, the ground is covered and visibility is about one mile.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,
I am from Idaho Falls as well. Where is your tag for? I just got back from my annual elk pilgrimage into unit 66.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish it would hurry up and get here. So dry here you can't get anywhere without souning like an elephant in the oakbrush.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The snow is here, the snow is here!! [Big Grin]

I almost couldnt get up my driveway today.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4X4SNEAK:
Here in Great Falls, the ground is covered and visibility is about one mile.

We've been hunting Havre/Chinook area; wind all week and snow yesterday. We shot a mule deer two days ago in a drizzle, got a little chilly dragging it out.

Tom

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
300, I just bought a 69 "A" tag this year. Usually, I hunt 28 by Cobalt, but I don't have the time for a long trip due to some family circumstances this year. Still, a guy's gotta feed his family, so..... LOL! Dutch.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
It's snowing here in the valley this morning... yippee!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I hunted (deer) the Marias river breaks on opening day and it was 73. It is now 14 and the high tommorrow is 9.

Should be good for elk hunting. They will be out feeding if it warms up this weekend.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote