THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ANY NEW HAMPSHIRE MOOSE HUNTERS HERE?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANY NEW HAMPSHIRE MOOSE HUNTERS HERE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Applying for moose permit. Can anyone tell me what zones are best for public or paper company huntable land?
Where are the biggest antlered animals coming from?
Should I fill out the zones completely, or just go for the best ones?

Are there any reputable guides up there to use?

I would appreciate any steering in the right direction!

I doubt I'll get picked but it can't hurt to try.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to get a tag for a couple of years. You can check the NH Game and Fish website and they have all the info on number of tags and success rates posted. For the most part, the further north you go, the better it is.

KamoGari got this tag a few years ago. He posted an extensive story about it. PM him or do a search of the archives and see if you can find it.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
MAC has it pretty much nailed down. The zones are best from N to S, starting with A and A1 in Pittsburg (moose alley) at the very top of the state. The kill % is in the 90s in that region, but very good (maybe 70%+) all the way down to around mid-state N to S. Southern densities are lowest, though some manage to get theirs even in regions bordering MA.

I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a tag (odds were 54:1 for non-res), but I'm happy to try to help if you have questions. Accessing land for moose hunting is sort of a non-isssue. Finding the moose during the hunt, well, that may or may not be. Smiler

The pics are no longer there, but the story is still up.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=686107285#686107285

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd apply because it's a fun hunt. As for the location...we had good luck in A1 and A2. Here are a couple of links to the success rates and permits issued by zone.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.u.../moose_hunt_take.htm

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.u...lottery_app_2009.pdf

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That take report is pretty much how I picked the areas in descending order. I did skip a couple that were no motor vehicle areas.

odds are pretty $hltty that I'll get picked any way, but I'm guaranteed not to get picked if I don't enter.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote