New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in the US
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you want to come to Amercia to hunt, does anybody know how many rifles you are allowed to bring?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think there is a limit once you are here. I think the only limit has to do with airline travel, meaning each gun case would count as a piece of luggage. Thats about the only restrictions I know of.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Thats about the only restrictions I know of.

Unfortunately for our non-resident friends, I know of one more. There is now a BATF permitting process. See the details at http://www.atf.gov/firearms/form6nia/index.htm

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Yes there are forms to fill out, and my understanding from canadian hunters, or my customers, trying to get their firearms into the US, is that it is nearly impossible or at least a very time consuming operation and further it takes months to process according to them.

The forms required and department ( authority) approvals conspire to invalidate initial steps in the process... For example I have been told that completed forms have expiration dates and permission is granted in theory after a series of "steps" or series of forms are completed. Initial application often "runs out" before final approval to bring in firearms, so that the whole process must begin again. We are talking months here....

Perhaps it is just easier to borrow a firearm from an outfitter....
Perhaps someone can further clarify...

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non residents must be in possession of form 6 (I think that's the #) before they can touch a gun. Doesn't matter who it belongs to. This is not my opinion but that of the 'homeland security' folks at the Can/US border here. For sure a form 6 is required for importation. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comments above have addressed Nortman's question directly. However, it's worth noting that the current statutory authority for BATF's Form 6 restrictions is quite recent (relatively recent, anyhow). A Clinton-era law, Pub. L. 105-277 (1998), extended import restrictions formerly applying only to illegal aliens. Here's the operative passage in full:

---------------------

18 U.S.C.. 922(g)(5)(B) and 925

SEC. 121. FIREARMS. Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1)...

(2) in subsection (g), by striking paragraph (5) and inserting the following:

"(5) who, being an alien--

"(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or

"(B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26));"

Note: Former par. (5) read only as follows: “who, being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States;â€.

---------------------

Now, perhaps BATF had, prior to 1998, equivalent authority and the only effect of the 1998 law was to simplify statutes and the USC. If so, this is not immediately apparent. Further researching the legislative history of these restrictions might resolve this point.

References: (Warning -- may make your teeth hurt...)

18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

Notes to 18 U.S.C. 922

Pub. L. 105-277 (112 Stat. 2681)

The above for what it's worth...

Good luck, and good shooting.

Jim

Posts: 94 | Location: Upper Left Coast, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There are no restrictions on possession on firearms by a foreign national for hunting purposes, other than restrictions that everone is subject to.

There is an import restriction (Form 6 nia is required, and must be obtained beforehand, but the procedure is easy), and a purchase restriction.

From the ATF website:

A. Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;

nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;

certain diplomats;

officials of foreign governments or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;

foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and

persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.
Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien CANNOT purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Immigration and Naturalization Service AND (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 days prior to the firearms transaction.

HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote