New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fruitful weekend (pics) and question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We had a pretty good weekend. Kara shot her best buck yet and is very happy (4x4 w/ ~18" spread). She only started hunting last year, so it wasn't hard to beat her spike! She put the sneak on a group in a stubble field and ended up shooting him while he was laying down from about 225 yds. He took a couple rnds, as she hit him a little low on the first shot. It was her fourth deer. He moved about 40 yds before expiring. He had the courtesy to do so next to a road. She shoots a 308 win Tikka with 150 gr Interbonds that seem to perform flawlessly.

-

Mine was shot from 300 yds with some wind picking up (gusting). The first shot was good, but I shot out his leg on the second (running) and called it quits after missing him on the third. He piled up dramatically after making it 50 yds or so. I'm very suprised he made it so far with a quartering shot from behind one shoulder to an exit in front of the offside shoulder (missed bone on both sides, and the 180 gr ballistic tip from a 300 rum only left a 1/2 inch exit!). I've never worked so hard dragging out a deer. There was only Kara and I, so I owe her big for helping me drag that pig out. It was about 1 mile, uphill the entire way, and all of the snow had melted (we wore the hair off on both sides). Two hours in the dark with a 20-40 mph headwind the entire way had me wondering if it was worth the work. Now I think it was.

-

Both deer were taken on the day before season closing, so we are very pleased to have been so fortunate this late in the game. The rack on both bucks could have been bigger for their age/body, but that area is not known for producing monsters. After one of Kara's friends saw her deer she decided she wants to try deer hunting next year. It sure is fun to get new people out enjoying nature's bounty!

On another note, I've never had a European mount done before, but was thinking of have both done (I sure wish someone had done so for my first real buck). Anyone know what to expect price-wise and what should be included? What to look out for? It seems like a pretty simple process. Thanks!

[ 12-01-2003, 10:26: Message edited by: mikea ]

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having trouble getting the pics to load. Let me know if they are not working and I can load another link. Sorry.

Edit:

Here's a link to see pics:

Hunting pics

[ 12-01-2003, 10:34: Message edited by: mikea ]

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SKelly
posted Hide Post
Mike,

First off congrats to you and Kara! The pics are working fine for me. I think it costs around $60-70 to have the skull bugged, not sure what is costs to have it mounted on a plaque. If you are interested I know a gal here in Plains who does a great job with Euro mounts.

[ 12-01-2003, 11:05: Message edited by: SKelly ]

Posts: 31 | Location: Plains,MT | Registered: 16 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Congrats to you and Kara. I'm doing my first Euro mount on a whitetail. So far its not too difficult. I've boiled/scapped off the meat. Now the skull is in a weak bleach/water solution to loosen the last of the flesh. Next step is peroxide to whiten and clear polyeurathane.

Some good info on this:
www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID13/2638.html

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SKelly--

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try getting someone more local before travelling for it. I'm new to the area (from Billings) and simply don't know that many people for references. I found one place that cleans the skull and puts it on a plaque for $70--that seems very reasonable. I already cut off the heads to hang the deer, then I found out this morining that at least one place would give me 1/2 off if I had a good cape to donate. Shows my ignorance of the taxidermy trade!

Scott--

I thought about doing it myself, but am not sure what all this entails. I have heard that you can do a better job boiling them than you can do with beetles, but I don't know the veracity of this. Also, I'm not sure how to mount one to a plaque. Whatever I would do would probably either have bolts sticking out of it or fall off the wall in a week! I think I'll pay to have these done and then play with the next one myself.

Anyone have taxidermist experiences around Bozeman?

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of SKelly
posted Hide Post
I've done a few deer and one elk myself and trust me it's worth the money to have them bugged. They turn out better and you don't have to go through the hassle... money well spent IMO.

Posts: 31 | Location: Plains,MT | Registered: 16 October 2000Reply With Quote