THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope - Eye Relief insufficient !!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope - Eye Relief insufficient !!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

I have a Simmons 1.5x-5x whitetail classic scope on my .303 British. It seems like the eye relief is only about 2.5 inches or so. I really have to crowd the scope to have the view through the scope take up the whole thing. I know it isn't the hottest scope on the market, but hey, it's a $70 rifle too.

What experience or recommendations do you have? Thanks in advance...

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 2.5x Weaver would be a good fit , but will still cost you near $100 .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am the origional "cheap scope" fanatic, I also own several Leupolds, and a couple of Nikons. But most of my gunshow specials have Simmons or Tascos on them. I have a Tasco world class 1.75-5 on my 375 that seems to have good eye relief, and handles the recoil real well. I belive they cost about $160 new, but sometimes I see them at gunshows for considerably less. Last 303 I fired had more recoil than my 375.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a simmons I had to put on a low kicker because the eye relief was so bad. Brought when I was young and foolish. Now only the better brands.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I too am a cheap scope person. I hunt my own land, and have several guns to choose from for my days of hunting. Most of my guns and scopes have bounced around in my pickup and will hold their zero. Yes I do have several upper end scopes that I use also, but I love to see people when I bring out a cheap scoped gun and out shoot them. I still think the simmons aetec scopes are a great buy. I first attempted to shoot one loose on my 35 Whelen improved, but could not. So, I put it on my 375 H&H and it is still going strong. Now my Whelen wears a tasco world class, and it had been treated very badly, but it still delivers when I ask it to. For my, cheap scopes close to home, and if very far away, expensive, or a cheap extra.