THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Why you should never kill a blacksnake

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why you should never kill a blacksnake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://i47.photobucket.com/alb...d1acdb9064BA476A.jpg

All these pics were taken at the irrigation pump at my folks place. I dont like snakes at all, but all I can say is good snake.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
way cool pictures!! thanks for sharing

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thanks a lot!

Will show them to my son who is fascinated by reptiles.

A question out of curiosity: Do you guys kill rattlers?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have a black snake that took up residence in our club house about 5 years ago. He's about 7 feet long and as big around as my forearm.

We don't have mice or other snakes hanging around, but he sure has startled us a few times.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a blue indigo snake to me.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M16 you are right it is actually an indigo but most people dont know the difference. I didnt for a long time. The same principle applies to both varities though. You shouldnt kill either one as they are hell on other critters you dont want around be it rodents or other snakes. Somehow I think you already knew that since you knew what the indigo was. Big Grin

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I passed it on to my young nephews as a lesson. They live in rattlesnake and copperhead country.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what it is, an indigo and oh how they get your attention. Don't kill them. They are good guys that are all over south Texas.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Indigo's are the longest snake in NA... no such thing as a blacksnake in NA, is there??

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the Indigo rattle when it burps now???

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i live on a farm and see black snakes all the time. the only black snake i remember killing was the big boy that was attempting to eat the baby owls in our owl box up a large oak. i have since put a 3' ring of aluminum sheeting around the tree to prevent future attempts.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig you are technically correct. However there are several species of snakes referred to as black snakes. They include such species as the blue racer in the north and black rat snakes farther south. There are numerous others as well. Most of these snakes all share the trait of being hell on rodents and or other snakes. It is a generic term like using Kleenex to describe all tissue products. Most folks recognize the term black snake. If I used the correct names they would most likely not pay attention. I wanted to make the point that these snakes should not be killed. Let them figure out the particlar variety later.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I hear you, I've just always been fascinated by snakes and was wondering for my own sake...as a kid, used to regularly catch western yellow-bellied racers, California Kings, gopher and garter snakes... fun stuff

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
At first I thought it was a "black racer" as they are called in Alabama where I grew up. But I didn't know black racers ate rattlesnakes. Then I thought it may be an indigo but I couldn't remember the differences.

So this snake is indeed an indigo? I'll google "black racer" and Indigo snake and check it out.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Here's a little lesson.

Black-Colored Snakes in the Southeast
Some snake species look quite similar and may be difficult for those inexperienced with snakes to confidently identify. Among these are several species of southeastern snakes commonly called “black snakes” because of their primarily black coloration. These include the Black Swamp Snake, Black Rat Snake, Ring-necked Snake, Eastern Mud Snake, Black Pine Snake, Eastern Indigo Snake and the Southern Black Racer. The latter two — Eastern Indigo and Black Racer—are the species most often referred to as “black snakes”.

In addition to those listed above, individuals of several species of water snakes, the Eastern Hog-nosed Snake and the venomous Cottonmouth Moccasin may be black colored to a great extent, depending on the age of the individual and the habitat in which it is found. The following is a list of black-colored snakes found in the southeastern U.S., the habitats they occur in and some identifying features. The Eastern Indigo Snake and Southern Black Racer are given special consideration.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. Good informative site. It shows my point about several species of what are commonly called black snakes. There are a lot of snakes around the area at my folks place. I am startled by them often. I have always been afraid of snakes since I was a kid. At the same time I have been fascinated by them. I have tried to learn about and understand them. There are several indigos around the place. They may scare the crap out of me occassionaly but I am happy to have them around. the big ones are truly impressive.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post

what kind of snake is this?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Brown.....and also dead around my house.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
It must have been a lot warmer last weekend at your folks place than here in the tropical part of PA.
Truly great photos.

Doc, add one more we have a black phase of the timber rattler which can be almost as dark as the black rats. But bell fish are easier to separate from the other black snakes.
Blfy

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black racers are much smaller and more aggressive than black rat snakes. Both are smaller than the indigo. The black racer is not a constrictor.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't automatically kill poisonous snakes on my ranch. If they're in the yard close to the house or close to where kids play, well, they've made a permanent bad decision, but, in general, snakes do a helluva lot more good than harm and I figure live and let live. The timber rattlers kind of keep you alert in early squirrel season. They hunt squirrels too.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

One that's about to suffer some serious pain soon, were that my back yard and cat...

Good grief!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
As an avowed cat disliker, I don't mind that snake a bit! Big Grin

Speaking of cats (pun intended), I'm with Gatogordo on this - I just don't see any reason to kill any snake unless it's a poisonous one near the house. Otherwise they get a pass from me, often to the chagrin of my hunting companions, many of whom are shoot on sight fellas.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
don't much care for cats, but I'd likely feel differently if that one was my daughter's Big Grin what kind of snake is that and where was this pic taken?? cool photo...

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:

I good snake!

It looks like that cat is knocking the piss out of that snake with its neck, but I do have a question, what is the pen supposed to keep in or out?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that lucky snake lateron succeeded in swallowing it's prey.

Any information on that heroic species?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote