Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage British Columbia
 Login/Join

posted
Sorry ... needed to make room for other photos.
Email me if you had particular interest and I'll gladly send photos to you. Regards ... Nick

[ 05-07-2003, 17:06: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Nice pics, Nick.

The first pic is Major James Workman, from Ireland. Not too many sheep like that anymore...

The last, (Telegraph Creek) is not to far from my house.

The old hunting pics of BC are truly amazing- whenever I see them it is interesting. In that time, there was no gor-tex or fleece, and if you got into trouble, there was no air lift out...

Much of it is still untouched, unspoiled. I've always loved BC for being able to "get into nowhere" in a couple of hours from virtually anywhere in BC.

Thanks, Nick

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Great pics

I don't think you will see a bear like that around the shushwap these days.

That bear from Telegraph creek might be up in the Stikine. I've been up there. Incredible country.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick. I am a big fan of vintage photos, especially BC. Love that big curly ole ram!!

Nick, if your into books, check out William T. Hornaday's "Campfire in the Canadian Rockies". Great story and great vintage pics. It is my #1 fave, as it is a great read and it takes place in my old stomping grounds in the Kootenays. The setting of the story is much the same today as when Hornaday saw it in 1906. Can't say that for a lot of places these days.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
Not too many sheep like that anymore...

Probably weren't too many around then either. [Big Grin]

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I found copy of that book at a local garage sale for $2.50. It had a perfect dust jacket and everything but, upon opening it, I noticed all the print was upside down, so I passed.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics [Big Grin]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow what a Stone Sheep.
I want one like that someday! Please...

Boy thats got to be a 175+ i would think.

NICE POST!

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Nick
This is PH2 checking in. Great pictures. On my way up north I stayed with a friend in Clinton and we looked at all his old photos when his Dad was young and hunted the area. His Dad guided around the Clinton area along the Fraser river for deer and sheep. That was back in the days when they brought bus loads of hunters in and the bag limit was 5. Things have definitely changed. I took a bunch of photos of some of the old buildings along the highway on the way home, so expect an e-mail.
Take care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Email received "PH2" .... great stuff! Especially that first one of "PH1's" place. [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
Canuck,
I found copy of that book at a local garage sale for $2.50. It had a perfect dust jacket and everything but, upon opening it, I noticed all the print was upside down, so I passed.

Nick

Turn the dust cover around. [Razz] No one would know the difference.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh ... thanks Nitro! [Wink]

[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
Great pictures. Someone mentioned the man with the big sheep was James Workman. That's wrong, it is George Ball. He outfitted in Telegraph Creek from the 20s till the 50s when his son, Bobby Ball took over. I owned the area from 1975 to 1980. The interesting thing about that sheep, it actually came from the Turnagin area, but the hunt started in Telegraph Creek as most hunts did at that time. This was the first time this area had been hunted and required 21 days of trail cutting just to get into the hunting area. This work was done with the hunter as part of the party! These were 90 day hunts then. How would that wash with todays fast paced executives?
The other interesting note is that this sheep was the world record when it was taken, but eclipsed by another great sheep taken the same year. I looked to see their rank in the record book and couldn't find either. Don't know what's up with that.
A sad note, for those of you who have not heard, my good friend and noted outfitter, Bobby ball, died last year.
Thanks again for the great pictures. Where did you find them?
Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Jim. That's the sort of input I always hope for when posting old photos such as these. If I can relocate the link, I'll send it off to you. It's not easy keeping track of all the stuff I turn up. Yes, the fellow with the great ram could be George Ball, as posted, or Major James Workman or Don Knotts for all I know! [Smile] I just put 'em up there and see what shakes out... This time it paid off. Thanks.

[ 05-04-2003, 21:02: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Sorry...Apperantly the sheep was SHOT by Workman...

I ghuess the guy in the photo is George Ball..or Don Knotts [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
Sorry...Apparently the sheep was SHOT by Workman...

I guess the guy in the photo is George Ball..or Don Knotts [Wink]

And I presume that the Telegraph Creek in the photo isn't the Telegraph Creek by my place. I guess my brush with fame was wrong [Frown]

JBHaney:

What a trip that must have been! Not for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

Wouldn't an adventure like that be awesome? Even today, a trip like that would be daunting, but I suppose something somewhat similar could be done given enough resources. It would be interesting to plan a pack trip for a month with a few friends....

No wonder so many of those guys in the old photos have ZZTop beards! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last fall I drove a Jeep Cherokee to the Turnagain,won't do that again,that's Unimog country.While I was in there,a couple of groups came by on big ATVs pulling tandem axel mining car type trailers.I loved that grand country.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Frank Hopp's cat, one of the pictures here and be sure to look at the gun held by the guy 3rd from the left. Sure hope he didn't shoot the cat.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote