THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ageing Aoudad Rams by counting growth rings.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ageing Aoudad Rams by counting growth rings.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could anybody here supply, preferably illustrated, info on ageing Aoudad Rams by counting horn growth rings, and how to identify growth rings ? Some where I read rams typically grow about 3 inches of horn annually so this can be used to roughly estimate age but I think a growth ring count would be the definitive measure.
I have looked around on the net, certain I would luck into the info without difficulty but I haven't found what I want. Probably looking in the wrong places. I would be very appreciative of any sound info received.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I get home ill take a picture of my ram for you just send me your email and you can see the growth rings and age he is

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rams do not typically grow three inches per year. It may average about that, but they start out with at least twice that rate or more. From 10 years on they add minimal length annually. Some aoudads can be extremely difficult to age accurately, depending on how and how much they rub their horns. It also depends on the environment, i.e. rocky versus brushy. All that said they are aged just like any other sheep. Some of the others are just easier.

Posts: 740 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twilli,
Thankyou for your post.
PM sent.
Cheers

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sqeezenhope,
Thankyou for your response. I agree with all your comments. My comment about annual horn growth rate should have been phrased better.
Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not what you asked, but I thought I would throw in a supplemental observation. Not talking about rams that spend their entire life visiting supplemental feeders! 27" or 28" is probably a good average for a fully mature ram. I say probably because how can you know? You sure can't measure them all. 30" is good almost anywhere and over 32" is pretty special, with all the caveats about mass.. Rams vary in configuration and some areas where they typically grow long they are not exceptionally heavy, as a rule. I suspect it is the age old fact that genetics and nutrition will tell the tale.

Posts: 740 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread, as we have an over-the-counter tag for aoudad in my part of New Mexico. I could actually set up a spotting scope in my back yard, but I am too old to be scrambling on steep, snake-infested, unstable slopes pincushioned with prickly pear, cholla, and Spanish dagger chasing Barbary sheep. It is a young man's game in these parts.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Bill, at least it's not cold, wet and miserable like Kronbergers Alaska!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think its more accurate to age them by there teeth although that can vary depending on the silicone in the grass..A vet could probably answer this question more accurately than I, most of my aging of sheep has been on domestic animals, but I figure a sheep is a sheep.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Not what you asked, but I thought I would throw in a supplemental observation. Not talking about rams that spend their entire life visiting supplemental feeders! 27" or 28" is probably a good average for a fully mature ram. I say probably because how can you know? You sure can't measure them all. 30" is good almost anywhere and over 32" is pretty special, with all the caveats about mass.. Rams vary in configuration and some areas where they typically grow long they are not exceptionally heavy, as a rule. I suspect it is the age old fact that genetics and nutrition will tell the tale.

So when (Age) are Aoudad Rams fully mature and huntable ?

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I think you want them to be 8 or more for full size.

The one on my wall is 6, and has dried out to 25.5 inches. He was 27.5 when we originally measured him (according to the outfitter).

He needs more mass and more length.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to guide for aoudad here in NM on a private ranch and my brother is a taxidermist who mounts a bunch of aoudad every year, mostly from NM and a few from far west TX. I have seen many more sets of aoudad horns than most people will in a lifetime.
Most big, 28-32", aoudad are 6-7 years old when counting the growth rings. About the oldest you ever see are 12-13 years old and often these are on the smaller 27-28" range. In this country, where we have definitive winters with poorer quality feed, they lay down growth rings just like a bighorn or dall sheep does. I do not know if the aoudad in the hill country of TX that are visiting protein feeders constantly would do the same. The initial 4 years they put on a ton of growth and then it tapers off quickly. The best way to check is from the back side of the horn and there is a definitive deeper groove that will go all the way around the horn. (Year 1 and 2 are the hardest to see and the front portion will sometimes be broomed down, but the back side is still visible.) It is pretty laughable when many outfitters and hunters claim that their aoudad broomed off a few years of growth and throw out ages in the 15-20 range. These people are either lying, ignorant, or both. When you see a really old one in the 10-12 range they are often putting on less than 1/2" per year at the base and probably brooming more than that off the end.

I just checked one on his taxidermy mounting stand that was easy to get at. Here is the growth by year for a 28" NM sheep. 1 - 10", 2 - 6", 3 - 4.5", 4 - 4.5", 5 - 2", 6 - 1"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a photo for you and marked the rings. The first is the hardest to spot, but when you compare both horns it is easier to spot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very good info and pictures.

Even taking the time to measure each year.

We should have you around for such things all
the time!

the only thing lacking is the name and location
of his shop.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5961 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter4life:
I used to guide for aoudad here in NM on a private ranch and my brother is a taxidermist who mounts a bunch of aoudad every year, mostly from NM and a few from far west TX. I have seen many more sets of aoudad horns than most people will in a lifetime.
Most big, 28-32", aoudad are 6-7 years old when counting the growth rings. About the oldest you ever see are 12-13 years old and often these are on the smaller 27-28" range. In this country, where we have definitive winters with poorer quality feed, they lay down growth rings just like a bighorn or dall sheep does. I do not know if the aoudad in the hill country of TX that are visiting protein feeders constantly would do the same. The initial 4 years they put on a ton of growth and then it tapers off quickly. The best way to check is from the back side of the horn and there is a definitive deeper groove that will go all the way around the horn. (Year 1 and 2 are the hardest to see and the front portion will sometimes be broomed down, but the back side is still visible.) It is pretty laughable when many outfitters and hunters claim that their aoudad broomed off a few years of growth and throw out ages in the 15-20 range. These people are either lying, ignorant, or both. When you see a really old one in the 10-12 range they are often putting on less than 1/2" per year at the base and probably brooming more than that off the end.

I just checked one on his taxidermy mounting stand that was easy to get at. Here is the growth by year for a 28" NM sheep. 1 - 10", 2 - 6", 3 - 4.5", 4 - 4.5", 5 - 2", 6 - 1"

Thanks for the Expert Info

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I think you want them to be 8 or more for full size.

The one on my wall is 6, and has dried out to 25.5 inches. He was 27.5 when we originally measured him (according to the outfitter).

He needs more mass and more length.

That sounds like a lot of shrinkage. You may be measuring him wrong. Google the "three inch rule measuring Aoudad" Its the standard way to measure them.

https://outdoors-international...coring-aoudad-sheep/

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote